Disable looking through walls

Toolinator

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1888 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Toolinator said:

The orb around the house with instant eject set and a ban line around the parcel containing the house within the orb seems to have done the trick. Thank you most of you for your very helpful answers :)

And thank you for not screaming at or insulting those trying to help. We appreciate that! 

42 minutes ago, Toolinator said:

Set the whole estate as a no fly zone (can I make the whole estate no teleport as well? )

It really isn't necessary if the sim is surrounded by LL owned open water. There isn't any access to the open water so no one would be able to fly onto the sim from the water.

As for teleports, you can set a specific landing point and allow TPing in the sim or you can set up a hub (not recommended) that will allow TPing in but no one will be able to TP around the sim except estate owner/managers.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

1 minute ago, Pamela Galli said:

And thank you for not screaming at or insulting those trying to help. We appreciate that! 

I just don't want my kids barging into our house when we are making popcorn and stuff at 2 in the morning. 3D life set us continents apart because of our careers so I wanted a place where the family can be together virtually when we can't be together in 3D without them seeing any popcorn making lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Bree Giffen said:

I think a combination of 1. Turning avatar visibility off on the parcel and 2. An instant teleport ban orb with a radius larger than the parcel would be enough to stop people from seeing what happens inside a residence. 

This is true; however, have the ban lines also gives warning to those who might try to enter the home so they are not automatically booted by the orb.

32 minutes ago, Toolinator said:

only want to stop my adult children from "camera viewing" into our house. They have there own house on the island that they can do what they want with.

placing a question can be hard, if you had asked this as OP it would been solved 3 pages ago, by generalizing the problem you made it difficult :)

Edited by Ethan Paslong

5 minutes ago, Toolinator said:

I just don't want my kids barging into our house when we are making popcorn and stuff at 2 in the morning. 3D life set us continents apart because of our careers so I wanted a place where the family can be together virtually when we can't be together in 3D without them seeing any popcorn making lol.

Since these are your RL kids.. I am willing to bet that they don't want to see you popping corn either! :P

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Since these are your RL kids.. I am willing to bet that they don't want to see you popping corn either! :P

Due to our careers we never know when or where we will be deployed so it's just a home base I set up so we can keep in touch a little better than a phone call at the end of the day.

• Like 2

Just now, Solar Legion said:

If set up as outlined earlier ... The orb's a bit overkill.

The orb isn't overkill if someone really wants to get into your parcel to spy on you. I personally use this method to keep out a stalker who has followed me around for 8 years. The orb is only necessary to keep someone from flying over the ban lines to get into the parcel to cam the person/people inside the parcel.

3 hours ago, Toolinator said:

So if I make individual groups per parcel and then set up ban lines around the parcel can the people inside be free from people "spying" on them from any where else on the sim as long as they are banned from that parcel ? Ie , John can't camera view into Jane's house and spy on Jane while she is in the house and she has her avatar set to invisible while on her parcel ?  I want to set up 3-4 parcels where only certain groups have access to view the avatars in that parcel. eg , PGPVT1 has no access to view the avatars in PGPVT2 while each is in there own protected parcel. I wish you can just kill the radar , map and mini map sim wide , that would be much easier.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin

1 minute ago, Blush Bravin said:

The orb isn't overkill if someone really wants to get into your parcel to spy on you. I personally use this method to keep out a stalker who has followed me around for 8 years. The orb is only necessary to keep someone from flying over the ban lines to get into the parcel to cam the person/people inside the parcel.

No it isn't . We spent a small fortune making our avatars look almost exactly like our real selves and on the R&R we want to have the family around without people disturbing us. I am 5 days on and 2 days off and we have an agreement that my wife gets the same R&R scheduled depending on the time zones we are in at the time.

18 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

1. Estate level access set to a specific group.
  2. Area user wants further restricted made its own parcel.
  3. Parcel user wants further restricted - in this case a very specific set of avatars - then add said specific avatars to the parcel ban list.
  4. Set now further restricted parcel so that only those actually on parcel can see/interact with users on said parcel.

No need for an orb. Their use case was revealed/outlined in an earlier post (wanting to restrict sim access to a group and further wanting to restrict specific members of said group from having parcel access/being able to see what is going on at a specific location in said sim) and the above covers what they were asking about.

The orb would only act as a restriction methods for those not explicitly banned from the segregated parcel - in short it would only activate for everyone else, not the "children".

I have a similar enough setup for my Den parcel in Second Life, the differences being it's a stratified parcel (various areas at different altitudes) with an Access List (not a Ban List), Group Only occasionally set (if need be) and specific areas further restricted by use of an orb.

The difference with Toolinator's stated use case is that I do not have an entire sim, only a small section.

The steps above are essentially a modification of my own setup, taking the added controls/abilities/permissions into account.

Edited by Solar Legion

4 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Estate level access set to a specific group.

I thought he wanted to be able to allow visitors besides just his family members and didn't want to have to set the estate to a group if not necessary to secure the privacy of the homes. In that case the situation would use an orb plus ban lines for the private homes. If he only ever wants his immediate family to have access then I agree. 

Just now, Blush Bravin said:

I thought he wanted to be able to allow visitors besides just his family members and didn't want to have to set the estate to a group if not necessary to secure the privacy of the homes. In that case the situation would use an orb plus ban lines for the private homes. If he only ever wants his immediate family to have access then I agree. 

The specific use case was stated a bit ago and from phrasing precludes visitors.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1888 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.