suddenly for unclear reasons avatar walk has changed

Sandra8675

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1930 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I changed my avatars pants type and color today.  I'm using a classic body with no mesh.

Ever since I changed the pants...

1.  the avatar has stopped walking with as much sway in her hips

2.  The avatars arms don't sway anymore

3.  When I press the down arrow she will not turn around and walk toward me

4.  Now she only walks backward when I press the down arrow.

It's possible there's a walk animation built into the pants. That's...not common, that I know of, but not outside the realm of possibility. 

If you take the pants off, is the problem fixed?

Did you change anything else? Animations are more typically built into shoes; did you try new shoes as well as new pants? 

Have you tried a relog?

Are you in a laggy area?

Right click and edit the pants and see if you can look in the Contents folder. Look in there for anything that looks like it might be or contain an animation. If you find one:

If the pants are modifiable, take them off. Drag them to the ground somewhere you have permission to rez objects, like a sandbox, right click, and choose edit. Open the contents folder again and delete the animation. MAKE A COPY FIRST. Take the pants back into your inventory, add them again (the new, animation-free copy), and see if that helps. If they are not modifiable, you can't really do anything except find a walk animation or AO with a higher priority. High priority animations will override lower priority ones. 

If turns and the like are not working, it sounds as though you have somehow detached your AO or if you were using an old old old attachment point sexy walk, pants would have also detached that, so check your ao is working if you use one, or do you use inbuilt viewer AO possibly you just reset the option. 

think you used "wear" ? .. the AO is replaced with the pants.

It would be welcome LL removes that option from the menu's it's confusing and not very relevant anymore.

To put clothes or any other wearables to your avatar use "add".

Edited by Ethan Paslong

31 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

think you used "wear" ? .. the AO is replaced with the pants.

It would be welcome LL removes that option from the menu's it's confusing and not very relevant anymore.

To put clothes or any other wearables to your avatar use "add".

Add just stacks things and is the whole issue with why creators leave everything to right hand and using wear makes you naked. Wear is a valuable option, you should be wearing to specified attachment points and know full well where things are attached, just adding everrything also means you have to detach things already there, not going to add hair, then have to detach the hair I am already wearing, especially if I cannot grab it and have to find it in inventory or worn just to remove it.... hair should be attached to skull, so wearing another should also detach to skull not take off my pants like earlier today. 

If you wear something and realise again it has been left to default, take the few seconds to attach to the correct place and it won't happen again.

Edited by Sasy Scarborough

12 minutes ago, Sasy Scarborough said:

Add just stacks things and is the whole issue with why creators leave everything to right hand and using wear makes you naked.

If you wear something and realise again it has been left to default, take the few seconds to attach to the correct place and it won't happen again.

and what's the problem with stacking? Thats a feature for wearing more than the standard attachement points. and add gives the solution to the naked problem... so wear can be deleted.
When keep using "wear"you'll never be able to use the full feature of multiple items to one point. Works only for limited outfits.

Add will only replace a item when the max attachents are used, and not likely make you go naked... what you describe as first won't help at all to prevent items detached, wear will always replace a item whats there.
Your second remark is indeed a solution, it will also help in most cases for loss of items during a TP.

5 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

and what's the problem with stacking? Thats a feature for wearing more than the standard attachement points. and add gives the solution to the naked problem... so wear can be deleted.

You can only attach 38 items including your huds, there are more than enough wear attach points, there is nothing wrong with adding if necessary, say two necklaces so that they both go to chest. But to decide that wear is obsolete, that everyone should only add is incorrect and it is what is teaching newer people to misuse the tools provided, because when they do end up naked, or cannot see things as Callum mentioned they have no idea why, because they don't understand the system as it is.
When someone creates an item pants, top, shoes, they should not leave them to right hand, it is lazy, it should be attached to lower leg, or pelvis or spine etc. That is why those attachment points exist, adding is not giving people some magic overriding ability to hack the system, you still only have 38 points. Also knowing that if more than one thing is attached to the spine for instance that you can move it if rigged mesh because rigged will always be to the skeleton is stuff people need to know. Right click add for huds is good because they are usually lined up in a particular way, but clothing and attachements, to say never use wear is not a thing...it is possibly your preference but not something all should be encouraged to do.

Add however makes you happy, but no vote for removing wear as an option, wear is important, it is also intuitive to newer people, oh I click wear because I want to wear them, it would be a rare thing to have a new resident go for add only and then not understand they have to remove their other items and how to do so, again it is adding complication, it is great when you know stuff, not so great when you are learning.

• Like 2

I know the issues about stacking, but newcomers really should not have to find it out the difference between wear and add the hard way.

It is more likely that they get into trouble with items kicked off when they use "wear" than encounter trouble with stacking when they use "add".

Don't forget, even if everything is attached to one hand, they will go into "worn" and take off clothes when they see it's double dresses, so their avatar will not be stacked as fast as you think.

How many times isn't there a new user here, asking why their shirt goes off when they wear their jeans, and vice versa.

2 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

New users?  My partner still hasn't worked this out and he is 10 next month :/ 

Proves my point. And it is also people who's been using SL for a long time and is returning from a hiatus.

I can not see that the worth of "wear" is bigger than the issues "wear" is creating when dressing. I think it is intuitive, that when you "add" a thing, you have to use a "detach" command for what you will replace. People will look for it, where to find the command for take off or detach items. And it is not so hard to find, to click on an item in the inventory and find the detach. Better than people getting frustrated because they are half dressed and can not figure it out how to make clothes stay on.

Even if SL merchants is lazy and use the right hand attachment too much, you still have those who do not. So when an avatar is using "wear" on a set of jeans that attach to the hip instead of the right hand, he or she will still need to click and detach the pair of jeans they will take off.

This is even more frustrating, because sometimes they can use wear and the other clothes stay on, and sometimes they use wear and the other clothes are detached. And some times they have 2 pair of jeans, one over the other.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sandra8675 said:

I changed my avatars pants type and color today.  I'm using a classic body with no mesh.

Ever since I changed the pants...

1.  the avatar has stopped walking with as much sway in her hips

2.  The avatars arms don't sway anymore

3.  When I press the down arrow she will not turn around and walk toward me

4.  Now she only walks backward when I press the down arrow.

The starter avatars have an animation override that is not visible on the screen. It has just the action you describe in #3.

It is named Animation Overrider - Female and is attached to Center 2.

You can see in the folder with the classic starter avatar. If you started as Kimberly, it is in the Kimberly folder, or Abigail or what ever the name is. I am sure this is detached because the pants used the same attachment point.

Locate it and add it.

It is actually a nice AO. No fuss, but much better than the default walk and stands.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

The starter avatars have an animation override that is not visible on the screen. It has just the action you describe in #3.

It is named Animation Overrider - Female and is attached to Center 2.

You can see in the folder with the classic starter avatar. If you started as Kimberly, it is in the Kimberly folder, or Abigail or what ever the name is. I am sure this is detached because the pants used the same attachment point.

Locate it and add it.

It is actually a nice AO. No fuss, but much better than the default walk and stands.

Thank you so much...  I will keep this info...  Good stuff...  I was frustrated because I knew there was a change.  So, I started with Jenny again and re-created her.  Now her walk and everything seems to be working fine again.  So much to learn.  Its all very interesting.  But, it did surprise me when her walk changed for no apparent reason.  It makes sense the way you explained it.  thanks again as always.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1930 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.