Firestorm Won't Clear Nearby Av's After Changing Sims

Cerebrogasm

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 151 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello,

I noticed a new problem I did not have before with Firestorm Viewer: if I land on a sim and activate "Word/Nearby Avatars" the "People" dialog window opens and I can see whomever is on the sim by name. However - if I go to another sim - with new Avatar names on the new sim in that same window - I am also seeing the previous names intermixed. Is there any way to clear out the previously visited sim's Avatar name list - as the new sim's name list loads?

Much Thanks for any tips,

James cerebrogasm 

7 answers to this question

I notice that happening when I first arrive on a new sim, but after a minute or so the avatar names from the old sim disappear.  Does that not happen for you?  I really can't remember if this is something relatively new or not - I tend to thing that it's been like this for awhile.  Have you asked about this in the Firestorm group inworld?

• Like 1

I remember the previous sim avatar list would disappear after a minute or two - mine now stays on permanently unless I relog. Technically, LL must have some code that "scans" sims for av data and some of that must make it into that dialog box we have. If they changed the code for the scans - well - I'll try putting in a ticket - but I first wanted to make sure it wasn't my viewer...

Thanks!

James

When you are on a region, the radar will display all avatars on that region and possibly on neighbour regions also, depending on your draw distance and what you have the radar radius set to under radar preferences.
When you leave that region, the avatars from the old region (& its neighbours) will remain visible on the radar for about 30 seconds to 2 minutes after you left the old region.
This is normal - it takes ~30-120 seconds for an avatar to disconnect as a child agent to the old region they just left.
If you attempt to cam on an avatar displaying in radar from the old region before you have been disconnected as a child agent from that region, then this will usually work.
Once you are disconnected as a child agent from the old region, the old avatar names will disappear from the radar & you can no longer cam on them, TP to them etc.

Occasionally, after leaving a region, you will fail to be disconnected as a child agent from it and those old avatar names will remain showing on the radar until you change regions again or sometimes you will have to relog.
We can't actually do anything about the failure of an avatar to be disconnected as a child from an old region they visited, its a serverside issue. What you are seeing in the radar (still showing old names for a long time after you left the region) is just a side effect of this.
It shouldn't happen very often though but most people will have seen it a couple of times at least.

• Like 3

It's not a bug, it's a feature!

Sometimes, I will make the rounds of all the Social Islands, passing out a notecard with useful landmarks to all the new(er) residents.  Occasionally, I will get an IM from someone I've offered my notecard to, after I've left their Social Island.  If they are requesting help that needs to be person to person, it's very handy to still have their name in my People window and be able to teleport back to them!

• Like 1

I'm having this same issue  and I can guarantee  that it does not clear out after 2 or three minutes of moving to a new sim,     Today for example   at 10am SL time I went to an event,  45 people there,      I left there and went to my home sim   which at most has 5 or 6 people at any given time.   An hour later I went to another event  and the people from the first event AND my home sim were still in the nearby list.     This is causing major problems with my viewing experience as Firestorm is trying to load large numbers of avatars that are not there.  

Has anyone put in a ticket about this  and if so   what were the results.   

I appreciate any ideas on how to fix this matter   

Thank you ,  

Luke

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 151 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.