Question about former friend's Permission to Edit and Take My Objects

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2023 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When you give or offer "Permission to Edit or Take My Objects" to a friend, and then unfriend without reverting that permission, does the permission automatically reset to null?  Let's suppose you are not able to speak to the person to verify that.

Also, how do you know if the person even accepted that offer, if you find yourself unfriended after offering the permission?

When you are no longer friends, there is no way to see if the permission persisted after the friendship ended, because you cannot see the perms detail on the social profile, even if you have the logged in view of it.

I would like assurance that shared permissions are revoked when the friendship is ended.

I've searched the Knowledge Base and forum, but find nothing about this. Thanks very much for any guidance.

?

23 minutes ago, emilia Avindar said:

When you give or offer "Permission to Edit or Take My Objects" to a friend, and then unfriend without reverting that permission, does the permission automatically reset to null?  Let's suppose you are not able to speak to the person to verify that.

Also, how do you know if the person even accepted that offer, if you find yourself unfriended after offering the permission?

When you are no longer friends, there is no way to see if the permission persisted after the friendship ended, because you cannot see the perms detail on the social profile, even if you have the logged in view of it.

I would like assurance that shared permissions are revoked when the friendship is ended.

I've searched the Knowledge Base and forum, but find nothing about this. Thanks very much for any guidance.

?

When you unfriend someone then their editing rights go away after they relog.  I just checked this with an alt and she kept her editing rights on my stuff until she relogged.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Giving such object rights is predicated on the person you are giving them to being a "friend" in the system. You cannot grant this permission to those you do not have as "friends" - only a similar one that can be given out to whole Roles in a Group.

As such the system would have to either revoke the permission should you unfriend a person or simply ignore that given permission.

As LittleMe pointed out above though: Like many permissions changes, it requires a relog to fully take effect.

• Like 1

Until you unfriend someone, you can check these abilities in your Friends list.  To the right of your friends' names is a series of check boxes.  By default, only the one with the "eye" symbol, "This person can see when I am online" is checked.  There are boxes there for both "I can edit this person's objects" and "this person can edit my objects."

For best results, uncheck all boxes, THEN unfriend.

• Like 1

Yes,  it would be ideal if the right to edit and take transfer objects were instantly revoked when friendship terminates.  Thanks, Whirly Fizzle. It's easier to access inside the Firestorm Viewer, whereas I only find the view of permissions in the social profile for the official SL Viewer. Of course,  you can open that inside the SL Viewer window, but it's sometimes slow to load for me.

Thanks so much for actually checking this, LittleMe Jewell, and for verifying that the loss of the right does not actually disappear until the unfriended relogs.

Sorry,  I meant to capture your quote:

When you unfriend someone then their editing rights go away after they relog.  I just checked this with an alt and she kept her editing rights on my stuff until she relogged.

Edited by emilia Avindar
add quote by LittleMe Jewell

30 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Until you unfriend someone, you can check these abilities in your Friends list.  To the right of your friends' names is a series of check boxes.  By default, only the one with the "eye" symbol, "This person can see when I am online" is checked.  There are boxes there for both "I can edit this person's objects" and "this person can edit my objects."

For best results, uncheck all boxes, THEN unfriend.

Thanks! Yes, i do see these visible for an alt, so it would only take a second to toggle it off.

I do not see a way to easily grant the "share and take my objects" in the SL Viewer.  I don't see a way to even do it except to open up the full profile view in the pop up window, and grant them there under Settings > Permissions.

Of course, it's probably a good idea to not make it too easy to find, because these rights should not be given lightly.  On the other hand,  the unfriending often occurs in a sudden blur.

4 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Hrrrrm, the editing rights should be disabled as soon as you unfriend.

With a bit more playing, I found out that it does, but doesn't appear to.  I unfriended my alt and then she did Edit on the box and got the arrows and moved it around a bit.  What I did not notice was that she also got a message in the upper right saying that she could not reposition it due to 'permission denied'.  Since she was only moving the box a tiny bit, I did not realize it was bouncing back to the original location.  After relogging, she didn't even get the arrows when she tried to edit, which is why I thought it was the relog that was making it take effect.

• Thanks 7

12 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

With a bit more playing, I found out that it does, but doesn't appear to.  I unfriended my alt and then she did Edit on the box and got the arrows and moved it around a bit.  What I did not notice was that she also got a message in the upper right saying that she could not reposition it due to 'permission denied'.  Since she was only moving the box a tiny bit, I did not realize it was bouncing back to the original location.  After relogging, she didn't even get the arrows when she tried to edit, which is why I thought it was the relog that was making it take effect.

Awesome work, LittleMe! Thanks for the extra troubleshooting to nail down the answer, too.  ?

• Like 3

On 10/23/2018 at 5:55 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

With a bit more playing, I found out that it does, but doesn't appear to.  I unfriended my alt and then she did Edit on the box and got the arrows and moved it around a bit.

adds 'testing things to help worried people on the forums' to the long list of Very Good Reasons to have an alt. bring on the next anti-alt rant. i am ready!

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2023 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.