New Start on SL, Seeking Burlesque Mentor

AlicePartridge

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2020 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

22 minutes ago, AlicePartridge said:

So I used to play SL all day every day, but I decided to give it a fresh start after a long break. I'm looking to pick up burlesque as I've always had a passion for the art, but I need some help. Any ideas? 

I'm not sure I can be a mentor because I don't know where to go to dance and stuff. However, I do have approximated 5-minutes of Cabaret Dances in my Puppeteer Dance HUD and a few Burlesque outfits are awesome. I can look-up where I got the dances and tell who the creator is (where to get them) when I get in world again. if you like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

I'm not sure I can be a mentor because I don't know where to go to dance and stuff. However, I do have approximated 5-minutes of Cabaret Dances in my Puppeteer Dance HUD and a few Burlesque outfits are awesome. I can look-up where I got the dances and tell who the creator is (where to get them) when I get in world again. if you like.

That'd be nice, thank you!

1 hour ago, AlicePartridge said:

That'd be nice, thank you!

It's from Abranimations (so is my Ballet dances) and they are full Bento.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/16-BENTO-Cabaret-Dances-Abranimations/11278495

That's the one I got (seriously-full pack) - but if you look at related items you can buy smaller packs and even individual dances. You can also buy the individual files in-world and I recommend you go in-world to preview them anyway. :)

Alice, by "burlesque" do you simply mean "stripping while on a dance pole"?  Or do you mean the classic striptease/fan dance that normally ends with only a tiny flash of nudity as the dancer goes off stage?

The reason I ask is because there are thousands of places and dancers where you can find support and mentoring...and work...for the former.  I have only encountered ONE classic burlesque club, and it's long gone now...but it was a really nice place.  I believe there are other burlesque clubs currently in SL, but I don't know where they are.

• Like 1

I haven't seen any 'proper' burlesque in SL for years. We used to have a speakeasy in a cellar, and being the town constable I was obliged to keep a very close eye on those girls. I've seen a few pieces of furniture that has burlesque inspired dances in them, as well as several sets of photo poses. The question one would have to ask is 'how best do I translate this art into a virtual reality?' - and personally I would say that you'd need a venue with the right theme that will cater to one's needs (a small to medium room with a low scene, perhaps a bar, and a 'yesterday's luxury' feel to it, I would say), one would need decent animations for the performers (30-second loops of doing the same thing over and over, as many dance poles in SL do, is only interesting to watch for 30 seconds or so), one would have to consider how best to entertain one's patrons (just watching someone dance in pretty clothing will only reach so far - consider music, possibly emotes, you need -something- to grab the attention of the attendants lest you end up like <insert any SL club> where everyone just stands around semi-AFK and the only thing going on in the nearby chat is going to be either; 'Ugh, it's Monday again', or; 'Yay, Humpday, almost through with the week!' or; 'Friday at last! TOMORROW I'm going to have so much fun' - rather than 'Right HERE, right NOW, I'm having fun and enjoying myself'). 

• Like 1

Holy cow folks! Performance dance is alive and thriving in SL every day of the week and all time zones. I'd suggest checking out the DanceQueens Calendar for just a start.. https://sldancequeens.blogspot.com/p/dance-queens-calendar.html  There are 'Burlesque' style shows and Cabaret (less nudity usually), theme shows, anything you could want rated from G to XX. Alice, most of the dance troupes take new dancers wanting to learn and there are classes to use the tools also. Please be aware though, it's labor and time intensive and it costs way more real money than you are ever likely to make. It's a wonderful hobby. H.O.B.B.Y.   You may contact me inworld if you like. 

Well thank you for all the feedback~ By "burlesque" I mean Burlesque. The classic cabaret strip tease. A lot of my IRL friends do it and I've always been in love with it. While I'll probably need to start with your typical stripping in SL to start to get a feel, I'd like to work towards Burlesque. 

No, do not do the typical SL pole dancing thing, unless that is what you want to do, or are looking for a way to finance what you really want and can't find any other way. SL adult dancing can suck you in and take up way to much time distracting you from you art.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2020 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.