Is it acceptable to talk about politics?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2026 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well Garnet, you chastised us for derailing a thread relating to the 18th century and roleplaying, yet I was awaiting Phorumities research on just how many poor people there are in America (he said he would post in 24 hours or so but this information never came).  So you see, it's a perfect Segway to bring this ongoing topic here...where the topic is 'politics'.

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well Garnet, you chastised us for derailing a thread relating to the 18th century and roleplaying, yet I was awaiting Phorumities research on just how many poor people there are in America (he said he would post in 24 hours or so but this information never came).  So you see, it's a perfect Segway to bring this ongoing topic here...where the topic is 'politics'.

Luna, you are responsible for your own postings, and you (and others) were off-topic there.  Don't use me as an excuse.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Garnet Psaltery said:
5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Luna, you are responsible for your own postings, and you (and others) were off-topic there.  Don't use me as an excuse.

I'm not using you as an excuse for anything -- not blaming you.

Was just tying it all together...explaining a bit why I'd post Trump as Marie-Antoinette...

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

I'm not using you as an excuse for anything -- not blaming you.

Was just tying it all together...explaining a bit why I'd post Trump as Marie-Antoinette...

We are, I think, well aware of what political stance you and Phorumities take.  The OP asked whether it's ok to talk politics in this forum and you both took that as a reason to use it as your personal playground.  It's tedious.

• Like 3

Seeing Kavanaugh being sworn in tonight...I'm afraid I'm at the end of my rope. All the budget cuts to the poor. People will be dying soon and/or stripped of basic human rights.  And all these damm rallies with the red hats, Trump saying he's making America great again. Crazytown.

You know, Phorumities, you think the left just wants to play silly war games like you do....but that's not it (at least for me). I just see the damage being inflicted on people by Trump and people he's duped.

2 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

We are, I think, well aware of what political stance you and Phorumities take.  The OP asked whether it's ok to talk politics in this forum and you both took that as a reason to use it as your personal playground.  It's tedious.

It could be a personal example of people talking politics without being so insulting. I could do it anyway, sad as I feel even..

You probably should block me, Garnet.  Because whenever Phorumities insults progressives by calling them names (I'm not sure he has ever mentioned the left out of the context of name-calling) much of the time I feel compelled to confront this.

I don't think he realizes he gets banned and confronted because he calls us names, and instead insists the reason is because he's not on 'the left' (he just said that on this thread).

You are safe on this thread for tonight, however, unless Phorumities comes up with the research that proves there are few poor people in the US.

17 hours ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

I understand that politics is an extremely sensitive topic for most people on both the web and in real life. I am wondering if it is ok to talk about politics in Second Life?

If not, what are the consequences that will happen to your Second Life account? Will you get banned or something? I've witnessed that the banning happens often in virtual worlds and websites for children and teens, but I am curious if that same rule applies to here.

The General Discussion Forum, is the only section that you can have topics unrelated to SL..

Although I would say,politics is a bottle you may regret uncorking around here..

hehehehe ;)

• Like 4

Interesting question. There are two different approaches you could take.

I think that posting about political parties and events and presidents is pretty boring and useless. A lot of us here aren't American, for one thing. And that kind of stuff only matters to people who vote. And most people who argue this stuff just post links to long boring articles that are just for or against one side or the other.

But talking about political IDEAS is very different, and important, and a good way to learn things and get introduced to new ideas and perspectives about stuff that matters. Like, whether LL should bring back second names, or how bad/good mesh is.

I myself have always avoided politics here, though, because this is a place to meet people and politics is bad for that. Most men don't like women who have politics or ideas.

Like Ceka says, I try to stay corked.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

The General Discussion Forum, is the only section that you can have topics unrelated to SL..

Although I would say,politics is a bottle you may regret uncorking around here..

hehehehe ;)

I tried to change the tab where my question was posted from avatar to a different tab because I posted it in the avatar thing on accident. I didn't see that tab option where you choose the topic file that the question fits in.

Ok, I understand that politics is probably not allowed in Second Life, so I changed my mind about talking about it here and decided to talk about different subjects instead.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

Ok, I understand that politics is probably not allowed in Second Life

Ok, no. Read what I said!

If your conversation is going to be, like, "Was Talleyrand a two-timing cad and backstabber," or "Was it really wise to make dear brother Joseph the King of Spain," then yes, a lot of people are going to tune out.

But the question isn't really "is politics allowed." Rather, is it advisable?

6 minutes ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

I tried to change the tab where my question was posted from avatar to a different tab because I posted it in the avatar thing on accident. I didn't see that tab option where you choose the topic file that the question fits in.

Ok, I understand that politics is probably not allowed in Second Life, so I changed my mind about talking about it here and decided to talk about different subjects instead.

You posted it in the right section,General Discussion..

I was just saying,this is the only section where you can have subjects that are not related to second life..You can make threads on politics..But they never end well..It's not against the rules ,it's just not going to end well is all..

hehehehe

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

You posted it in the right section,General Discussion..

I was just saying,this is the only section where you can have subjects that are not related to second life..You can make threads on politics..But they never end well..It's not against the rules ,it's just not going to end well is all..

hehehehe

Well, the people changed it. I just saw that the forums sent me a message. Yesterday, it was under the "Your Avatar" section, but I couldn't change it after I made the question. I didn't know how to change the section.

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Ok, no. Read what I said!

If your conversation is going to be, like, "Was Talleyrand a two-timing cad and backstabber," or "Was it really wise to make dear brother Joseph the King of Spain," then yes, a lot of people are going to tune out.

But the question isn't really "is politics allowed." Rather, is it advisable?

Ah, ok. I understand. I won't post anything like that.

1 minute ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

Well, the people changed it. I just saw that the forums sent me a message. Yesterday, it was under the "Your Avatar" section, but I couldn't change it after I made the question. I didn't know how to change the section.

Ah ok, I must have only seen it when it showed up in this section then..

Yea,they are pretty good about moving things to the right places.. :)

30 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Interesting question. There are two different approaches you could take.

I think that posting about political parties and events and presidents is pretty boring and useless. A lot of us here aren't American, for one thing. And that kind of stuff only matters to people who vote. And most people who argue this stuff just post links to long boring articles that are just for or against one side or the other.

But talking about political IDEAS is very different, and important, and a good way to learn things and get introduced to new ideas and perspectives about stuff that matters. Like, whether LL should bring back second names, or how bad/good mesh is.

I myself have always avoided politics here, though, because this is a place to meet people and politics is bad for that. Most men don't like women who have politics or ideas.

Like Ceka says, I try to stay corked.

That's exactly what I would do when I talk about politics. I want to know if that's ok to spread my political ideas here because I don't want to get banned from here just because someone got mad at my ideas or something.

10 minutes ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

That's exactly what I would do when I talk about politics. I want to know if that's ok to spread my political ideas here because I don't want to get banned from here just because someone got mad at my ideas or something.

Well, ok. Two things.

First, "spreading your political ideas" here -- or anywhere -- is not going to win you a lot of plaudits or admirers. If you come in here with a political agenda, and your sole purpose is to indoctrinate or persuade, then you're going to immediately evoke a lot of resistance. It's not merely not really a worthwhile thing to do; it's also ineffective. It will just put people's backs up. (Please believe me when I say that I speak from experience on this one.)

IF, on the other hand, you have ideas and you wish to explore, and test against other perspectives and views, then -- assuming you approach this with an open mind, willing to change your own perspective as you learn more from others, and assuming that you make that clear from your remarks -- the forums can be (or at least were, in the past) a great place to have discussions.

Second thing: no one is going to ban you for expressing ideas, unless they are overtly racist, misogynist, homophobic, anti-furry, etc. (Seriously, don't dis furries.)

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2026 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.