Does anyone know what this font is called?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2190 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Bonjour, citoyen !

Do any of you know what this font is called? When I get on a mobile device, I saw this font circled in red. However, when I got on the computer, the font looks completely different! I want to know the name of the fancy font because I like it way better than the childish Comic Sans font.

In this picture, this is what I saw, using a mobile device.

8F6CCB92-F3FC-4C92-849C-192DF779215F.thumb.jpeg.00cc991eacd27d4d3bf950b7a06c3923.jpeg

But on the computer, it looks totally different! I saw this font instead.

98809701-3A1C-4E3A-BCC4-A75148AFFEDD.png.bd8402e3c6f150fd7e901f39e6a2f294.png

What is the name of the fancy cursive font that I circled in red? I don’t want the Comic Sans MS font as the answer. I want the actual name of the fancy font itself used to type the words “Comic Sans MS.”

Definitely a Round Hand font.

Round Hand is a type of handwriting and as such, there are various versions by multiple font publishers, including Linotype, Tilde, ParaType, and even Adobe. They often all look the same, but I'd say that one might be Tilde's version considering the character width.

Although the ones I mentioned are commercial fonts(I.E. cost money), there is a free variant by Intellecta Designs, which is for personal use only. So if you intend to replace comic sans with that font(which I advise against as it can have negative effects on programs expecting comic sans), it should work perfectly.

An official copy of the Intellecta Designs version exists here: http://www.fontspace.com/intellecta-design/roundhand-free

Edited by Chaser Zaks
spacing
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Chaser Zaks said:

Definitely a Round Hand font.

Round Hand is a type of handwriting and as such, there are various versions by multiple font publishers, including Linotype, Tilde, ParaType, and even Adobe. They often all look the same, but I'd say that one might be Tilde's version considering the character width.

Although the ones I mentioned are commercial fonts(I.E. cost money), there is a free variant by Intellecta Designs, which is for personal use only. So if you intend to replace comic sans with that font(which I advise against as it can have negative effects on programs expecting comic sans), it should work perfectly.

An official copy of the Intellecta Designs version exists here: http://www.fontspace.com/intellecta-design/roundhand-free

Yes, that’s the one I’ve been looking for: Roundhand Font! I looked it up, and they mostly show Snell Roundhand Font.

Dont worry! I’m not going to replace Comic Sans or any other font. I don’t know why the font there looks different for me when I go on a mobile device.

2 hours ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

I don’t know why the font there looks different for me when I go on a mobile device.

I have a similar result both on my Linux desktop and android tablet. The reason is because comic sans is Microsoft owned and they don't really want to budge with letting people use it on non windows based OSes. So mobile providers (and Linux and Mac) have to substitute it with another font. Usually it goes with a cursive(which is quite ironic if you think about it) or hand written style font.

I personally would love for Microsoft to release comic sans under a CC license due to it's historical significance, but it is their font.

• Like 1

Have a look at this page - the individual letters all seem to match your sample and if you type 'Comic Sans MS' in the preview box the results seem to match what you are showing.  It is called Snell Roundhand Script.

https://www.fontpalace.com/font-details/Snell+Roundhand+Script/

And here is a download for it: https://www.wfonts.com/font/snell-roundhand

4 hours ago, Chaser Zaks said:

I have a similar result both on my Linux desktop and android tablet. The reason is because comic sans is Microsoft owned and they don't really want to budge with letting people use it on non windows based OSes. So mobile providers (and Linux and Mac) have to substitute it with another font. Usually it goes with a cursive(which is quite ironic if you think about it) or hand written style font.

I personally would love for Microsoft to release comic sans under a CC license due to it's historical significance, but it is their font.

But why do they do that? Why do other companies like Apple replace these fonts with something else?

8 minutes ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

But why do they do that? Why do other companies like Apple replace these fonts with something else?

Copyright. They would need to pay MS for a license to use their intellectual property. At a few cents a copy it could cost millions of dollars.

22 hours ago, Chaser Zaks said:

Oh, now I understand. I thought it only happens on mobile devices.

17 hours ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

Fonts are a copyrighted artwork design, just like any graphic design you may create. They are drawn the same way as any vector art is drawn with Adobe Illustrator, for example.

Before TrueType came along all fonts were PostScript (a printer language) and Adobe had the market (Adobe PostScript was the only way to use fonts other than the three or four system fonts) - Font Foundries (creators of font styles) would sell through Adobe. A complete font set (including all styles, like bold, italics, etc) would cost between $50 for a basic Helvetica up to $1500 for a truly creative "Display" font that included all the ligatures and other elements.

For instance - in my previous example "Zapf Fino" is called that because the font is designed by Hermann Zapf for Linotype (a font foundry) and he called it "Fino" :)

Then TrueType was created for MS Windows (because Microsoft didn't want to pay Adobe's crazy prices). Then tools were made that allows you to create your own fonts in TrueType - and lots of people copied the Linotype fonts and often renamed them to something similar ( in my example: Zapfino - where the original is Zapf Fino) :) The reason the free versions aren't taken down is because someone worked to create the copy from scratch and copyright only applies to the actual work you've done - not the design. (Trademark covers design and is costly to do).

Basically, TrueType (.ttf) broke the market's ridiculously-high cost by eliminating the need for PostScript fonts (.psf) Now fonts are free or inexpensive. The newest (best) format is now OpenType (.otf)

(I do graphic design for a living in RL, that's why I know this stuff LOL - just thought I'd share because it's interesting)

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

Here is the license for Comic Sans (Microsoft is an official font foundry):

https://www.fonts.com/font/microsoft-corporation/comic-sans/licenses

I wouldn't expect you to read it LOL - I'm just showing you that yes: even the Microsoft fonts are licensed for specific use-cases. In this case - if you subscribe to Fonts dot com you get to download and use this (and other fonts). :)

Edited by Alyona Su

Years ago, I was the person volunteered to create a Sanskrit chant book / hymnal using the Devanagari font. Had to find a font (Postscript was chosen). Had to choose the software (only Adobe was appropriate). Was actually able to get the font creator to make basic corrections to the font. Now almost 30 years later, the phone in my hand has a similar font, just not as sophisticated for combining characters correctly. For instance, can’t make a proper “Hrim”. The “r” ends up in the wrong spot. हूीं versus:

D3949CD5-210A-4245-A028-7F7D135AAEE7.jpeg

Edited by Love Zhaoying

58 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Years ago, I was the person volunteered to create a Sanskrit chant book / hymnal using the Devanagari font. Had to find a font (Postscript was chosen). Had to choose the software (only Adobe was appropriate). Was actually able to get the font creator to make basic corrections to the font. Now almost 30 years later, the phone in my hand has a similar font, just not as sophisticated for combining characters correctly. For instance, can’t make a proper “Hrim”. The “r” ends up in the wrong spot. हूीं versus:

D3949CD5-210A-4245-A028-7F7D135AAEE7.jpeg

That's beautiful (Some find Piccaso to be art. I'm weird that I find font styles to be art. I *so love* well-done calligraphy!) :)

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Here is the license for Comic Sans (Microsoft is an official font foundry):

https://www.fonts.com/font/microsoft-corporation/comic-sans/licenses

I wouldn't expect you to read it LOL - I'm just showing you that yes: even the Microsoft fonts are licensed for specific use-cases. In this case - if you subscribe to Fonts dot com you get to download and use this (and other fonts). :)

That's interesting. I never knew about every font being licensed.

20 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Fonts are a copyrighted artwork design, just like any graphic design you may create. They are drawn the same way as any vector art is drawn with Adobe Illustrator, for example.

Before TrueType came along all fonts were PostScript (a printer language) and Adobe had the market (Adobe PostScript was the only way to use fonts other than the three or four system fonts) - Font Foundries (creators of font styles) would sell through Adobe. A complete font set (including all styles, like bold, italics, etc) would cost between $50 for a basic Helvetica up to $1500 for a truly creative "Display" font that included all the ligatures and other elements.

For instance - in my previous example "Zapf Fino" is called that because the font is designed by Hermann Zapf for Linotype (a font foundry) and he called it "Fino" :)

Then TrueType was created for MS Windows (because Microsoft didn't want to pay Adobe's crazy prices). Then tools were made that allows you to create your own fonts in TrueType - and lots of people copied the Linotype fonts and often renamed them to something similar ( in my example: Zapfino - where the original is Zapf Fino) :) The reason the free versions aren't taken down is because someone worked to create the copy from scratch and copyright only applies to the actual work you've done - not the design. (Trademark covers design and is costly to do).

Basically, TrueType (.ttf) broke the market's ridiculously-high cost by eliminating the need for PostScript fonts (.psf) Now fonts are free or inexpensive. The newest (best) format is now OpenType (.otf)

(I do graphic design for a living in RL, that's why I know this stuff LOL - just thought I'd share because it's interesting)

Ah, interesting! How many years ago are each paragraph talking about? I don't think I was born. If I was, then I was very small.

14 minutes ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

Ah, interesting! How many years ago are each paragraph talking about? I don't think I was born. If I was, then I was very small.

You just posted essentially the same thing in multiple threads. We get it, you’re young. Someday you will be old. Once we were all your age. Maybe the novelty of this knowledge will wear off soon.

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

You just posted essentially the same thing in multiple threads. We get it, you’re young. Someday you will be old. Once we were all your age. Maybe the novelty of this knowledge will wear off soon.

Oops! Sorry about that. I just like it when I feel like the baby here because it reminds me that I have plenty of time left. XD

Novelty of this knowledge? How will it wear off soon and why?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2190 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.