My most wanted feature yet to come! Terrain!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2148 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi , I am a long time SL user, I have been in and out, but its Ages I am litterally waiting for LL to implement better Terrain tools and yet I see no news on the horizon.

What I always wanted Is:

Larger sim sizes at least 4 km x 4 km instead of 256 m x 256 m

Better texturing tools and materials for terrains

Better shaders and procedural distribution of assets that consume less resource.

Abolish the prim number system and replace with a performance indicator.

Any hope to see this ?

5 hours ago, Naiman Broome said:

Abolish the prim number system and replace with a performance indicator.

This one we're sort of working on; we are not going to abolish the "prim number" system, but we are evaluating ways to update the way that both Avatar Rendering Complexity and the "streaming" component of Land Impact are calculated ("streaming" isn't a very good name for it - it should be "rendering", and we'll probably change that name).

Since any change to how we calculate these, especially LI, could be disruptive we are taking it very slowly and carefully. We'll have more on this as we get closer to rolling out the change, including better advice for content creators on how to optimize content.

(the rest of your list is interesting too)

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Oz Linden said:

We'll have more on this as we get closer to rolling out the change, including better advice for content creators on how to optimize content.

A few of us (creators) are looking forward to the changes. I am sure there are plenty that will NOT be happy. People of course CHOOSE how they make their models and textures. Hopefully the new system will give some folks a push into  creating something closer to "game asset" models. It would be wonderful to see.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Oz Linden said:

Since any change to how we calculate these, especially LI, could be disruptive we are taking it very slowly and carefully. We'll have more on this as we get closer to rolling out the change, including better advice for content creators on how to optimize content.

I hope that when the time comes it's done as a estate owner switch in the region console defaulting to old-style. Maybe a way to look at the two figures on a by-parcel basis and make the change as we desire so that returns are minimised. Can maybe be a 6 or 12 month window before it's forced.

This will be important, especially in regions we rent out to others where we have to be careful of destroying people's homes and their dreams.

Edited by Callum Meriman

@Callum Meriman Interesting idea although how to implement - specific servers running parallel old/new style with estates running on one type? As the law of unintended consequences lurks (not an exact match but the mass rush to convert prim builds to complex hull clangs a bell. That was fun.)

@Oz Linden Changing streaming to rendering sounds like a plan. Always liked how SL calls things in its own unique way but that one makes sense.

Also looking forward to this as long as the new rules are laid out - I know I know :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2018 at 4:37 PM, Oz Linden said:

This one we're sort of working on; we are not going to abolish the "prim number" system, but we are evaluating ways to update the way that both Avatar Rendering Complexity and the "streaming" component of Land Impact are calculated ("streaming" isn't a very good name for it - it should be "rendering", and we'll probably change that name).

(the rest of your list is interesting too)

Any chance for larger environments and better terrain texturing tools?

On 6/7/2018 at 7:44 PM, Callum Meriman said:

I hope that when the time comes it's done as a estate owner switch in the region console defaulting to old-style. Maybe a way to look at the two figures on a by-parcel basis and make the change as we desire so that returns are minimised. Can maybe be a 6 or 12 month window before it's forced.

This will be important, especially in regions we rent out to others where we have to be careful of destroying people's homes and their dreams.

I don't expect that we'll provide owner control for the conversion. Instead, we'll have some extended period (tbd) during which owners will be able to see both the old and new values are but all enforcement will remain only on the old values. We'll be monitoring closely how much content would be disrupted if/when we were to throw the switch to using the new values. At some point, with ample notice, we'll switch to enforcing on the newer more accurate values.

This is not something you need to be concerned will sneak up on you; we'll be very public about it. We're making progress on developing better formulas and testing them; when we think we're close enough to where we'll end up, we'll document how the new formulas work, and hopefully provide tools in the viewer that will help you analyze costs.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Oz Linden said:

I don't expect that we'll provide owner control for the conversion. Instead, we'll have some extended period (tbd) during which owners will be able to see both the old and new values are but all enforcement will remain only on the old values.

Thanks Oz, if it's an extended time - in the order of 90+ days - then it's going to be enough I think for us to go around to each renter and say "Dude, half your build is about to dissapear" as well as deal with the ones who are sick in real life (we have 1 renter who is a one hour every 60 days person)

It will also be very interesting to see what happens to some of my ships. The N+K Falcon is 512LI as it stands.

49f1896c8c14a81471b04bef4e34517f.thumb.png.fe9ccf27a530bff2d4ff6d3f3c1d7a9e.png

Edited by Callum Meriman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2148 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.