standard clothing on mesh avatars

velvetgurl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2180 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i have heard through the grapevine, that sl are working on a way to make it so, you can wear standard clothes on mesh bodys without using appliers,

think this would be good, because i was new to mesh bodys and found i cant wear all my standard clothing ie even with alpha on is there any truth in this matter,

hope someone can help thank you

i have heard through the grapevine, that sl are working on a way to make it so, you can wear standard clothes on mesh bodys without using appliers,

think this would be good, because i was new to mesh bodys and found i cant wear all my standard clothing ie even with alpha on is there any truth in this matter,

hope someone can help thank you

On 5/18/2018 at 7:12 PM, angeoco said:

Yes, it's called "bakes on mesh", and it will probably be released later this year, though mesh bodies will have to updated to handle it. :)

thank you very much, you made me a happy person now , great news

29 minutes ago, binder59 said:

thank you very much, you made me a happy person now , great news

just keep in mind glued clothes on the bodies will still look glued as it did on the older system avatars... it needs really high quality textures to even get near a goodlooking applier, old badly made stuff won't sudden get premium couture.

to be a bit more plastic... a jeans will show in your crack and a bra in your cleavage..

Unless someone has inside information all we know about that is what LL sent out in an email about improvements they plan to make in the future:  here are two of them:

1. Animesh - Last year, we introduced Animesh in beta available to all Creator participants. This year, with diligent and invaluable input from the community, we plan to roll out this exciting new feature for everyone!
  2. Bakes on Mesh - Extends the Viewer and the Avatar Baking Service to allow wearable textures (such as skins, clothing and tattoos) to be applied directly onto mesh body parts as they are on system avatars. To do this, you'll 'wear' the textures as you would for the system avatar, and then edit the mesh body part to indicate the body part that should be used on each of the mesh faces; the corresponding system body part is then automatically hidden for you. This project also increases the supported resolution of wearable textures by 4 times (from 512 pixels square to 1024 pixels square).

That is all I know about it, have been watching for updates as to when but not seen anything yet.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, binder59 said:

It will work for system clothes. Also classic skins and tattoos.

Fit and rigging issues with mesh clothing made for a different body will only change in one regard - you won't be dependent on the alpha cut set-up for a particular body. Alpha layers worn on the system body will affect the mesh body so clothing creators and customers will have that flexiblity again.

Basically, anything worn directly on the system body will be transfered to a bakes on mesh mesh body.

• Like 1

I know Inara Pey's Modemworld blog has reports on progress on these schemes. It's still a long way off.

The Bakes-on-Mesh idea lets you put several textures on the same mesh, and that could make mesh figures a great deal simpler to render in the viewer, which would increase the frame rate..

It's the same core process as for the classic avatar and system clothing, but there is a critical detail that everyone seems to be missing. Is the UV mapping compatible. That defines where a point on the 2D texture appears on the 3D model.  If the UV maps are different, the results will look broken. So the textures, including the alpha map, will have to be for the specific model.

I am not sure I understand what Bitsy said. Having an alpha-map for a mesh body will open up the possibilities, let you do similar things to what you can do with the classic system body. But it won't let you use a classic-body alpha map on the mesh body.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, arabellajones said:

I know Inara Pey's Modemworld blog has reports on progress on these schemes. It's still a long way off.

The Bakes-on-Mesh idea lets you put several textures on the same mesh, and that could make mesh figures a great deal simpler to render in the viewer, which would increase the frame rate..

It's the same core process as for the classic avatar and system clothing, but there is a critical detail that everyone seems to be missing. Is the UV mapping compatible. That defines where a point on the 2D texture appears on the 3D model.  If the UV maps are different, the results will look broken. So the textures, including the alpha map, will have to be for the specific model.

I am not sure I understand what Bitsy said. Having an alpha-map for a mesh body will open up the possibilities, let you do similar things to what you can do with the classic system body. But it won't let you use a classic-body alpha map on the mesh body.

All the major human mesh bodies use a UV map that's based on and 95% identical to the default avatar UV map. Appliers essentially contain the textures used for system skin, possibly with slight adjustments in areas like nipples, navel, facial features, etc. to align exactly with that body. The big brands also are Omega compatible, which means they're working to common UV map for those appliers.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2180 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.