Moving with Keyboard arrows and NOT changing Orbital view?

Earnur Donogal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2202 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi All,

Sorry this may be very simple, but I have searched all the WIKI and community posts and still can not find my answer.  I have a sim with a steep staircase. When I walk up the default camera view works fine, I can see where I am walking. But when I walk down, I can not see where I am walking, the camera does not angle down like it does when I walk up.  So I change my orbital view to look down so I can see the staircase.  But as soon as I use the keyboard to walk forward, the camera reverts right back to default looking straight ahead.  The question is how do I keep the orbital view I select and walk with keyboard arrows without changing the perspective?  Seems like it should be easy, but I am clueless.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

As far as I know, you can't, but you might try using mouselook. Scroll you mouse wheel all the way forward to get into mouselook, then use your arrow keys to move toward the spot where your cursor is placed.  Your camera will follow.  Personally, I find mouselook a little disorienting, but people who are used to playing action games swear by it.

• Thanks 1

You could also use Firestorm's mousewalk feature.
To do this, left click & hold on your avatar & press the right mouse button when you want to walk.
You can change your camera angle by moving the mouse.

https://i.gyazo.com/bac1dfaa03dfb9be33e6496fdd50631b.gif

Once you get used to walking about that way, you'll probably use it all the time  :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Whirly is describing what I call Mouse-Steering. I left-click-hold and press W to walk forward. Up-arrow and right-click-hold also walk me forward.

Rolig's image shows the possibilities for mouse-steering.

Releasing the left-click will allow the wheel to zoom you in and out, nearer and farther from where you clicked. It sticks so you can left-click and start walking again with the camera at the new zoom distance. 

Do some experimenting. Once you get used to mouse-steering, those stairs will be no problem.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2202 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.