SL crashes entire computer repeated times

Karin Raynier

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2185 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi

I am on a MacBook Pro but also a MacBook Air (High Sierra) with the latest SL-viewer downloaded from http://secondlife.com/support/downloads/. My entire computer crashes (black screen and automatic reboot) on both computers repeatedly. I have tried a couple of destinations InWorld but always the same thing happens. Any ideas on what is going on and how this can be resolved?

Best wishes

Karen

10 minutes ago, ChloeBaby Xue said:

That's not the problem, I assure you. I have a desktop PC, with a high end graphics card, and just recently started crashing even seeing the blue screen of death. I can't even log inworld anymore for fear I will crash.

Not all problems have the same cause, the SL viewer is a very complicated beast.

On 11/04/2018 at 11:12 AM, Karin Raynier said:

I am on a MacBook Pro but also a MacBook Air (High Sierra) with the latest SL-viewer downloaded from http://secondlife.com/support/downloads/. My entire computer crashes (black screen and automatic reboot) on both computers repeatedly. I have tried a couple of destinations InWorld but always the same thing happens. Any ideas on what is going on and how this can be resolved?

I hate to say it .. but, have you tried running Windows? Apple viewer support has always been less than optimal.

12 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Not all problems have the same cause, the SL viewer is a very complicated beast.

I hate to say it .. but, have you tried running Windows? Apple viewer support has always been less than optimal.

This is true - even running Windows on a Mac gives better SL performance that the Mac Viewer. it's because the Mac Viewer is only partially (like 25%?) native macOS, the rest is all sloppy port over from Windows, which is never the best way to do things.

However, before going that drastic route, I'd recommend trying other viewers also. I get decent performance from Firestorm and Kokua on Mac. And of course, there could be something else interfering with the viewer, too. Make sure you completely exit out of other apps, especially Settings Apps (those accessed from top-right menu bar type stuff).

When running SL (in any viewer) on a Mac, it's best that *nothing* else is running along side it.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2185 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.