How can I downgrade to the $0 land use fee?

Kadaj Mirajkar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2211 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I just got charged $4 for Land Use Fees when I: 

• Do not own any land 
  • Am no longer a premium subscriber

When I try to change it to the $0/month plan it says that I need to upgrade to premium to "own land" and does not change the option.  So unless this is a bug I have to pay $9.50 just to be able to cancel the thing that my account isn't even utilizing? 

7 answers to this question

In order to never get charged for "free tier" you need to sell or abandon your land a month before opting out of Premium membership AND change the land use tab to zero in the back end. If not, you will get charged for the last month that you used the land (as mentioned above) or had the ability to buy and use land  . If that is NOT the case then you will need to put in a ticket or talk to billing. 

You also get billed based on your tier date which is shown at the bottom of your account summary page. IF this charge was for the previous month you should not get charged again, but there is always that "but" :D. Land is tricky. Most folks get caught with charges at least once. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kadaj Mirajkar said:

• Do not own any land 

When I try to change it to the $0/month plan it says that I need to upgrade to premium to "own land" and does not change the option.  So unless this is a bug I have to pay $9.50 just to be able to cancel the thing that my account isn't even utilizing? 

landholdings are always billed for owning over the previous period, not the comming one, might be the reason?

10 hours ago, Kadaj Mirajkar said:

• Do not own any land 

Since you are no longer Premium but got charged for stuff, I'm guessing that you downgraded just in the last month.  Tier is always billed in arrears, thus if you used more than your 1024 sqm in the previous month, you would have gotten billed for it one final time.  Because of that 'in arrears' billing, the only way to not pay anything after you downgrade is to completely get rid of all tier usage a full month before you downgrade.  If you truly are no longer Premium, then there will be no more bills.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

If all you really had was a Linden Home, you should not have been charged a land use fee.

If you bought another 512 sq m. parcel, you would owe tier on that.  Or, if you donated any tier to a group, you would be charged for that.  You could check all your groups; look in the Land and  $ tab of the group info window.

4 hours ago, Kadaj Mirajkar said:

Oh I do see that my next bill is $0.  Still can't wrap my head around why I got charged $4 for a LL home only, sucks but guess I know not to touch it now.

If you can't figure it out, contact Billing and ask them for details.

https://support.secondlife.com/billing-support/

Billing team is available from 6am to 3pm PST, Monday through Friday.

Local Toll-Free numbers (for Billing issues)

US/Canada: 800-294-1067 FREE

France: 0805-101-490

Germany: 800-724-4552 FREE

Japan: 800-100-3060 FREE

Brazil: 800-878-3076 FREE

Spain: 90-083-9074

UK: 800-086-9081 FREE

Long distance ( not free, but you can use Skype to save some cost ) : 703-286-6277

**Note: Support is offered only in English

5 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Since you are no longer Premium but got charged for stuff, I'm guessing that you downgraded just in the last month.  Tier is always billed in arrears, thus if you used more than your 1024 sqm in the previous month, you would have gotten billed for it one final time.  Because of that 'in arrears' billing, the only way to not pay anything after you downgrade is to completely get rid of all tier usage a full month before you downgrade.  If you truly are no longer Premium, then there will be no more bills.

I purchased 3 months of premium at the discounted rate on December 17th & only ever used my Linden Lab home.  I got rid of my home & put an end to my premium subscription at least 2 weeks before my premium was even supposed to end.  So my premium did end 3 weeks ago but my land use has been nothing for at least a full month.  It says my charge is a "Recurring mainland fee" which is leading me to think I'll get another $4 charge next month.  

10 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

In order to never get charged for "free tier" you need to sell or abandon your land a month before opting out of Premium membership AND change the land use tab to zero in the back end. If not, you will get charged for the last month that you used the land (as mentioned above) or had the ability to buy and use land  . If that is NOT the case then you will need to put in a ticket or talk to billing. 

You also get billed based on your tier date which is shown at the bottom of your account summary page. IF this charge was for the previous month you should not get charged again, but there is always that "but" :D. Land is tricky. Most folks get caught with charges at least once. 

Oh I do see that my next bill is $0.  Still can't wrap my head around why I got charged $4 for a LL home only, sucks but guess I know not to touch it now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2211 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.