Remaining anonymous in group lists

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2307 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

No.

Not only that, but anyone can figure out whether you are on line, whether they are in a group with you or on your friends list or not. All it takes is a very simple script that anyone with minimal scripting skill can write (or find free on line). Your on-line status is public information.

26 minutes ago, AlexandriteGem said:

Yes, I already choose to hide my groups. But the trouble is that the people in them can still track when I sign on. I want more privacy

No privacy in SL. The group-online thing can't be hidden, and it's also trivial to check anyone with a script.

Alts are handy if you need to do things, sometimes.

24 minutes ago, AlexandriteGem said:

I want more privacy

Not possible. SL is a social world. You can buy a private estate in the middle of the world ocean and block teleports to keep people from visiting. You can set up an alt account that you use to log in when you don't want to deal with anyone who is hoping to talk with your main av (I do that when I am working and would rather not be interrupted).  But you cannot keep people from knowing whether you are on line. That's just the way SL works.

• Like 1

Thanks, Alexandrite.  You didn't limit your query to that possibility, so I figured it was easier to spell it all out in one shot.  It may sound ridiculous, but you wouldn't believe how many people ask variations of this question and really mean that they want to be totally invisible in world. We must get 4 or 5 a month. 9_9

• Like 3

The three impossible ways to be invisible in SL that I can think of:

• Being in a group. The only way to turn invisible in a group is to leave the group.
  • Scripted agent trackers - a.k.a. "Online Trackers" - the scripts and objects flood marketplace and even free.
  • Ping-test IM. Unless the person is already blocked, they only need to send an IM as a "ping" to test if you're online.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2307 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.