question for land impact

sndbad Ghost

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2253 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hello, friends, i keep having this problem 

i try make low prims work but i dont know how that work 

some work looks much poly but it be low prim other low poly show me many prims 

i give you example 

this not my work but i see it in SL

here more details with 1 prim

http://prntscr.com/igw92b

here not much details but 55 prims 

http://prntscr.com/igwa8b

i am really totally confused , i hope if you have any idea about that 

5 minutes ago, sndbad Ghost said:

We may need a little bit more details but with differences as big as that, it's almost certainly the physics model.

This is what you do: make a simple mesh cube and export it as a dae file. When you upload a mesh, in the Physics tab select "From file" and select thart cube

• Like 1

There are lots of factors that determine what land impact will be on a single piece of mesh. One of course is SIZE. Another is LOD settings. In the case you show, however, it does look like the most likely cause of the high land impact would be that it was uploaded with HIGH physics. A sword doesn't really need physics in most cases so using a cube would be typical choice to use as the physic model. 

This book stack for example was uploaded with a cube as the physics model. IF it would have been uploaded using high physics it would have had a much higher land impact. 

You can see the physics shape by turning on the "eye" icon (Firestorm Viewer Only at this time). See the red dot.

5a8b0bcef1733_physicsbooks.thumb.PNG.ec0b3851d8aab46e687e8c88215454fa.PNG

Edited by Chic Aeon

11 hours ago, sndbad Ghost said:

hello, friends, i keep having this problem 

i try make low prims work but i dont know how that work 

some work looks much poly but it be low prim other low poly show me many prims 

i give you example 

this not my work but i see it in SL

here more details with 1 prim

http://prntscr.com/igw92b

here not much details but 55 prims 

http://prntscr.com/igwa8b

The 'lowest' LOD is not optimized that's why the LI count is high. Also you need to consider physics. 

When you upload, there are two impact factors, download and physics, whichever is higher becomes your LI reference. 

So say if I have a golden pelican sculpture, and I let SL determine its physics according to the highest LOD, you can enlarge that pelican and walk on its beak. The question is, do you really need that ?

Long story short, here are the contributing factors:

1. The physics are unnecessarily complex, usually due to not knowing or willfully ignorant 

2. The lowest LOD is unnecessarily high, or poorly optimized. If they are seeing the lowest LOD, they probably shouldn't need to see it. Usually results of wilful ignorance, the type of people who want you to see a 20000 poly chair from 2 blocks away 

Clothing or avatar items may have really high LOD since avatar items are not meant to be teased on the ground in most cases.

Check my shop you will see what is possible to lock into 1LI 

Edited by iamyourneighbour
  • Thanks 1

On 20.02.2018 at 3:50 AM, iamyourneighbour said:

The 'lowest' LOD is not optimized that's why the LI count is high. Also you need to consider physics. 

When you upload, there are two impact factors, download and physics, whichever is higher becomes your LI reference. 

So say if I have a golden pelican sculpture, and I let SL determine its physics according to the highest LOD, you can enlarge that pelican and walk on its beak. The question is, do you really need that ?

Long story short, here are the contributing factors:

1. The physics are unnecessarily complex, usually due to not knowing or willfully ignorant 

2. The lowest LOD is unnecessarily high, or poorly optimized. If they are seeing the lowest LOD, they probably shouldn't need to see it. Usually results of wilful ignorance, the type of people who want you to see a 20000 poly chair from 2 blocks away 

Clothing or avatar items may have really high LOD since avatar items are not meant to be teased on the ground in most cases.

Check my shop you will see what is possible to lock into 1LI 

That's absolutely right! I making 1 LI high detalied stuff too.  I just wondering why ppl wanna see stuff from 20 or more m if its barelly visible anyway.  

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2253 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.