Hair Diffusing Problems.

Dranandor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1900 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just figured i'd post something here since I didn't know how to search this, and in turn could not find a solution. 

Anyways, some hairs have this thing involving their opacity/alpha with the mesh to make the hair strands blend. And for some clothing / furniture/ tattoo system layers / water ect. the hair will cause anything behind or around it to become transparent. Which makes you see clear right through the clothing, cause tattoo's to be invisible if the hair is around it, cause water to disappear if it's around the head of your avatar. I don't know if it's a issue that could be resolved with a flick of a settings button or not but, if there is a way I would really appreciate the support :) I like to take picture on second life so I run into this situation often and it can make things a pain lol. Below is a screen shot of the issue in world. Thank you :)

https://gyazo.com/324d97c2a60483cf264c2a7901aa2d35

If the hair can be edited, choose the strands that are doing this and - under the Texture tab - set their alpha masking to a cutoff of about 10. That should fix it.

Caveat: this won't work well with hair that has fine strands, or some very curly hairs. It's best on straight, sleek styles.

Example:

5a3670f7cba37_alphamaskmode10.jpg.33654a22f36d2fb6d1a57559c2810684.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

What you are seeing is an OpenGL glitch that appears in any application on the net that uses it. If the trick above doesn't work, you'll have to live with it. 

If you are using a mesh head, see if you can change the opacity on the hairbase or try a different hairbase.  If you are using a Catwa head, you have 2 hairbase layers. Try putting it on the other one. Also grab the free ones that Catwa has available for her heads. She adds the rest of her hair colors so you can match almost any color.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Dranandor said:

Just figured i'd post something here since I didn't know how to search this, and in turn could not find a solution. 

Anyways, some hairs have this thing involving their opacity/alpha with the mesh to make the hair strands blend. And for some clothing / furniture/ tattoo system layers / water ect. the hair will cause anything behind or around it to become transparent. Which makes you see clear right through the clothing, cause tattoo's to be invisible if the hair is around it, cause water to disappear if it's around the head of your avatar. I don't know if it's a issue that could be resolved with a flick of a settings button or not but, if there is a way I would really appreciate the support :) I like to take picture on second life so I run into this situation often and it can make things a pain lol. Below is a screen shot of the issue in world. Thank you :)

https://gyazo.com/324d97c2a60483cf264c2a7901aa2d35

A good fix for the exact problem you're seeing in that screenshot is to change the alpha mode on the jacket. Textures used for things in Second Life can be of two types - a "24-bit" texture, which can only be solid and non-see through, or a "32-bit" texture, which has an "alpha channel" which also gives information about its transparency. The viewer will treat any 32-bit texture as a transparent texture even if it doesn't look transparent and you'll see the glitch you're posting about. The jacket you're wearing must have been textured with a 32-bit texture even though it doesn't look like it needs one (for the leather part, at least.) This can be a common issue on clothing. If the jacket is modifiable you can change its alpha mode to "alpha masking" - if it's non-modifiable you either have to contact to maker or, well, get a better jacket.

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 11 months later...
On 2/11/2018 at 5:07 PM, Skell Dagger said:

If the hair can be edited, choose the strands that are doing this and - under the Texture tab - set their alpha masking to a cutoff of about 10. That should fix it.

You are my hero! 

Always took that for granted with hairs, never realized it was a fixable issue.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

You are my hero! 

Always took that for granted with hairs, never realized it was a fixable issue.

One of the many reasons modify hair is so great, even if some creators claim it is useless for rigged hair.

For the OP, I see that her jacket collar look like it's fluffy fur. I wonder if alpha masking would make it look less like hair and more like sheep wool.

Sad that this alpha clashing is a persistent problem.

The New Shiny BOM that we was promised :/ that we should get last year... will solve most problems in the face/head because makeup and hairbases can be worn on a tattoo layer and be blended without alpha. Attached Objects will still have it, sigh.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1900 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.