avator not touching ground

Ilusion1965

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2328 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

9 answers to this question

There are some things that control whether your feet touch the ground or not.

Classic/System Shoes - In OUTFIT editing you'll see the Shoe item. It has some height adjustments. The Shoe item can be taken off or replaced.

There are shoe and feet attachments that come with attachments to adjust avatar height. For instance Slink feet come with 'shoe' items to set the height for flat, medium, and high feet. We have to wear the correct one. Some mesh shoes rely on the height adjustment of the feet. Those have no item for adjusting height. Others come with an additional attachment (using the 'item/object' icon) that adds to or subtracts from the foot and shoe height adjustments.

In SHAPE there is a height adjustment called HOVER. Edit Shape->Body->Hover. You have to have a Mod-OK shape to adjust this setting. I think most of us avoid using this setting as it is awkward to change on the fly.

Then there is the right-click-on-avatar->Hover Height. This is an adjustment that adds to or subtracts from the composite height of your avatar. It helps to keep feet at the floor or ground surface and to sit you more accurately on furniture. It works pretty well for standing and walking. Not so well for sitting. The result is I keep this control on screen to tweak my position when walking and sitting.

There is the problem of mesh surfaces. Most creators do not make mesh physical, meaning the SL physics engine ignores it and avatars do not collide with it... can't walk on it. Even when they do make it physical the physics engine does a poor job of connecting the visible image and the simplified physical shape. Generally an invisible prim object is used to provide the physical shape for the physics engine. It and the mesh often differ. The result of all this is avatars walk through, sink into, or float above mesh objects. There are some places and things will present a problem for where the avatar's feet appear in relation.

Go to your inventory, choose the Worn tab, select Expand.  Now look for anything with a shoe icon and remove it.

My guess is that you have an SL shoe delivered with a mesh shoe, and you don't need it.  Use Hover instead.  (at least until you understand why you might like to use it and how)

5 hours ago, anna2358 said:

My guess is that you have an SL shoe delivered with a mesh shoe, and you don't need it.  

This is only sort of true.  I don't typically wear the shoe base and I do usually just use the Hover slider to adjust my ground height.  Yet last night I put on a pair of shoes that did not immediately fit right - they were sitting up around the ankles rather than at the foot.  I verified that I had the correct foot height (flat/mid/high) via my Lara HUD.  I was able to manually adjust the shoe fit, but I also discovered that if I actually wore the 'high shoe base', then the shoe fit perfectly.   

I've encountered that incorrect fitting in the past and have just manually adjusted the shoe fit.  Naletas' comment above made me think to try the base this time to see if that would fix the issue without a manual adjustment.  

Most of my mesh shoes do not even come with a base.  I'm going to start paying more attention to the ones that do to see if those are the ones that end up needing a manual adjustment if I don't wear the included base.  I may continue to ignore the shoe bases in the future since making the adjustment myself to the shoe's fit is not a big deal, but it was interesting to see this interplay between bases and some shoes.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This is only sort of true.  I don't typically wear the shoe base and I do usually just use the Hover slider to adjust my ground height.  Yet last night I put on a pair of shoes that did not immediately fit right - they were sitting up around the ankles rather than at the foot.  I verified that I had the correct foot height (flat/mid/high) via my Lara HUD.  I was able to manually adjust the shoe fit, but I also discovered that if I actually wore the 'high shoe base', then the shoe fit perfectly.   

I've encountered that incorrect fitting in the past and have just manually adjusted the shoe fit.  Naletas' comment above made me think to try the base this time to see if that would fix the issue without a manual adjustment.  

Most of my mesh shoes do not even come with a base.  I'm going to start paying more attention to the ones that do to see if those are the ones that end up needing a manual adjustment if I don't wear the included base.  I may continue to ignore the shoe bases in the future since making the adjustment myself to the shoe's fit is not a big deal, but it was interesting to see this interplay between bases and some shoes.

Quite often the designer includes a shoebase for use with the system versions.  If you use those with a mesh body version, then you may (but it's not certain) get the effect the OP described.

I've had shoes like the ones you describe where the shoebase seems to be part of the rigging system.  Some of a well known designer's early mesh-body attempts come to mind.  I also have some hyper-platforms that are much easier to wear with the shoebase supplied.

The point I'm making is that you can't assume that just because a shoebase is supplied that you need it for your fitting.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2328 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.