Here we go again

Ayesha Askham

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2382 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, show up at the Server-Scripting UG meeting today. Simon and Oz Linden facilitate the meeting. You'll have a chance to complain in person.

The meeting is a better place to find out what's coming and what the Lindens expect to change and why.

The Server Beta UG provides even more information on what is coming. Updates are seen in ADITI before they roll to the main grid RC channels. You can find out which regions have which beta versions. Good For testing things that rely heavily on server features before the changes hit the main grid.

When you can't make those meetings you can check Inara's or my blog for the latest information on servers and viewers. Inara tends to publish on Monday. I tend to wait until Tuesday. But, neither of us can say much when the Lindens aren't talking.

Today at 8:50 AM PT my home in a main channel region has not detected a restart since 9/26.

Well

The Roll  has ended and we are still none the wiser about the content rolled to our regions.  "Internal Fixes"?  A guess from what was rolled to the RCs last week or info from the groups that Lindens discuss scripting and such with the residents, Whirly?.

Yes, Nal, I COULD go to such meetings, if they were held at a time I could be online, but like many, they aren't.  And as to relying on a Third Party Blog, (Good and reliable as it is), that is simply a "workaround".  This is the place where such information is supposed to be put out for us users to digest. 

I repeat, this performance is NOT GOOD ENOUGH.  If for any of many perfectly good reasons Caleb cannot post, there are plenty of other Lindens that could, and should take up the slack.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ayesha Askham said:

Well

The Roll  has ended and we are still none the wiser about the content rolled to our regions.  "Internal Fixes"?  A guess from what was rolled to the RCs last week or info from the groups that Lindens discuss scripting and such with the residents, Whirly?.

Yes, Nal, I COULD go to such meetings, if they were held at a time I could be online, but like many, they aren't.  And as to relying on a Third Party Blog, (Good and reliable as it is), that is simply a "workaround".  This is the place where such information is supposed to be put out for us users to digest. 

I repeat, this performance is NOT GOOD ENOUGH.  If for any of many perfectly good reasons Caleb cannot post, there are plenty of other Lindens that could, and should take up the slack.

Does it really matter? Do you ask your ISP what "fixes" they have done every time they update their software? Hell, Xfinity updates the modems and cable boxes almost every night. I don't give a damn what they do as long as it works. LL has never really posted anything about what fixes they have done to us. They discuss such things at meetings. The weekly maintenance is just that.. Maintenance to keep the hamsters happy. 

OK Drake so you don't give a damn.

Server software changes in SL are far and away different from changes sometimes made by ISPs.  Yes they discuss things (SOME things) at meetings, which (if you'd bothered to read what I wrote) I cannot attend.  Maintenance is most assuredly NOT something just to keep the Hamsters happy, unless you mean the regular restarts needed to keep server memory from overflowing.

I DO give a damn because I like to know what it is that I am to get, whether it be permission changes or script function changes, or whatever.  I probably care more about SL because  my response to the standard "get a Life" mantra is that I HAD a life, and it was mostly taken from me by illness, so I replaced it with a Second Life.

And when LL does clever things it like to show off to us via the Blog, and even to apologise when they screw up.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

When you can't make those meetings you can check Inara's or my blog for the latest information on servers and viewers.

I do, but still think the Lindens should either link to you from this forum, or post their own summary here, where it can be discussed. I like a central information source.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ayesha Askham said:

OK Drake so you don't give a damn.

Server software changes in SL are far and away different from changes sometimes made by ISPs.  Yes they discuss things (SOME things) at meetings, which (if you'd bothered to read what I wrote) I cannot attend.  Maintenance is most assuredly NOT something just to keep the Hamsters happy, unless you mean the regular restarts needed to keep server memory from overflowing.

I DO give a damn because I like to know what it is that I am to get, whether it be permission changes or script function changes, or whatever.  I probably care more about SL because  my response to the standard "get a Life" mantra is that I HAD a life, and it was mostly taken from me by illness, so I replaced it with a Second Life.

And when LL does clever things it like to show off to us via the Blog, and even to apologise when they screw up.

The weekly restarts are just maintenance... What you are talking about happens when they roll out a new viewer version. They do not do major script function changes or how perms work during the weekly restarts.. 

• Like 1

Well Drake

So weekly Rolling Restarts never change parameters?  I simply disagree.  There ARE other changes that require client updates, but not all do. Bug fixes are a typical example. 

The rest of what I said stands.

Never mind, this is a matter on which we will not agree and Caleb HAS posted now, so better late than never.

Congrats Whirly, spot on. Ce n'as fait rein.  Or put more simply, "meh" .

Edited by Ayesha Askham
I apologise to native French speakers for mangling your language.
  • Haha 2

Well Drake

So weekly Rolling Restarts never change parameters?  I simply disagree.  There ARE other changes that require client updates, but not all do. Bug fixes are a typical example. 

The rest of what I said stands.

Never mind, this is a matter on which we will not agree and Caleb HAS posted now, so better late than never.

Congrats Whirly, spot on. Ce n'as fait rein.  Or put more simply, "meh" .

I this very section of the forums that you posted your rant, Caleb posts the weekly Deploy plans.. EVERY WEEK... Do you really have to know what they are going to do BEFORE they do it? If they don't message you directly will you quit SL? Seriously, why is this such a big deal?

Oh come on Drake

This is pointless. At no point did I suggest that I would flounce off if these updates were not posted and I certainly didn't say anything about direct messaging.

I simply ask that the information be posted in this forum, as it has been for the last ten years or so, in a timely manner.

If you consider that unnecessary, fine...you go right on and think that.  I won't.

1 hour ago, Ayesha Askham said:

Oh come on Drake

This is pointless. At no point did I suggest that I would flounce off if these updates were not posted and I certainly didn't say anything about direct messaging.

I simply ask that the information be posted in this forum, as it has been for the last ten years or so, in a timely manner.

If you consider that unnecessary, fine...you go right on and think that.  I won't.

Let me try again.. 

You posted this rant at 9am yesterday. A few hours later Caleb posted what they did during the restarts.. Where is your complaint? They post what they did! They certainly cant post what they did before they do it. So what do you want? IT'S RIGHT THERE!!! Look for it!! Good lord. Jesus. How freaking soon after they finish things do you need them to say what they did? Can they have a few hours to make sure the hamsters are happy and running properly? If so, then you have no complaint as that is what they do. 

The point of the Linden post is to tell us what they WILL BE doing not what they have done.  It has always been so.

The post Caleb makes every week comes out AFTER the restarts. They can not tell us what they will be doing as they probably have no idea what they can expect until they start doing them. Its kind of like when you bring your car in for repairs. They cant tell you what it will completely entail until they truly get started. 

You are becoming tiresome, Drake

Firstly, the Server Rolls are posted BEFORE the rolls, usually something like 12 hours before, at around 2pm on the Monday, SLT, with the Main Server roll beginning officially at 3am the next day.

Secondly, LL has a QA procedure which allows them to test code being promoted to the Main Server regions, testing them on Aditi first if necessary then putting them on one or more of the Release Candidate Channels of LeTigre, Bluesteel or Magnum.  No one can know with ABSOLUTE certainty how Rolls will proceed but after a good few years, they are getting the hang of it.

7 hours ago, Ayesha Askham said:

Oh come on Drake

I had one thought that immediately went through my mind when I read that but I decided not to post it. See? I AM a Nice Person. I AMMMMMMMM.....

• Haha 1

On 10/17/2017 at 5:28 PM, Drake1 Nightfire said:

The weekly restarts are just maintenance... What you are talking about happens when they roll out a new viewer version. They do not do major script function changes or how perms work during the weekly restarts.. 

Server updates are where scripting changes roll out. Syntax checking comes from the server via a file listing all functions and their format. Scripts are run on the servers. So, the only place where script functions change are the weekly roll outs. There haven't been that many lately. But, when they do come it is via a server update.

Recently the HTTP calls to external servers changed and that was a server change in how the HTTP call was generated. It broke most of the DJ boards in SL.

Throttles that get changed are server side and all of them are enforced server-side.

The emailing of IM's is something that happens server side. Now the email verification will determine if the servers send IM's as email. The server will tell the viewer to gray out the setting in the viewer if there is no verification on file. This is all handled server-side and updated in roll outs.

The coming release of Animesh is highly dependent on the region and asset servers changing. On the viewer side the changes are UI changes with some changing for rendering mesh. The limits to what can be uploaded and tagged as animesh will be enforced by the servers.

Physics are all server side.

So, anyone using vending machines, dependent on physics (think golf course), using Pathfinding or Keyframe motion, or complex scripts needs to know when a server change is coming that affects their area of their interest.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2382 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.