viewer crashing

william1965

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2451 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I recently installed a new graphics card and from day one i have had nothing but crashes when trying to play sl....my old graphics card was a zotac NVIDIA GeForce GT 320 1 GB memory.....it had no trouble what so ever playing sl even on ultra settings but i always kept it on high setting when in game i would go to preference and adjust the setting...it finally died on me  after five yrs so i bought a new one which is a view max NVIDIA GeForce GT 720  2 GB DDR3 Memory  Code name F-16 Fighting Falcon Edition ....as soon as i installed it i  downloaded the latest drivers for it and went into sl but i can only be in sl from 15 sec. to 25 sec. and if i am really lucky 10 min as long as i stand still and not move around or leave my home...if i go anywhere at all i get a lot of lag then my avi and all other items turn red then the background would turn solid white then i would get a black screen then after it recovered i will get the message that my browser has stopped responding and a second message at the bottom of the screen that nvidia graphics has stopped responding and has recovered then im back at my desktop i have chatted with NVIDIA and they had me do numeral things like uninstall and reinstall then change settings and still the same thing so then they gave me a link to a stress test which took an hour and it passed the test so they did not know what to tell me so they asked was there any thing else they could help me with i said no and they ended the chat so i went and downloaded another stress test which did a burn in test ...it passed ...but i still have the same problem i have tried the sl browser i have also tried firestorm browser i have tried going to preferences and set the graphics to low ...still the same thing ...on med low ..same...med...same so on and so on and if i stay in one spot at home and try and IM a friend it seems like even an IM will cause the issue i have googled it and tried everything that i found and still the same problem why is it that a GeGorce GT 320 can play sl and a GeForce GT 720 cant keep me in the game long enough to do anything ?.....my system specs are ......Processor  Intel core duo E5300  2.6 GIG  not overclocked never has been ,  3 GIG system Memory ,  Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit , and for graphics i use the View Max NVIDIA GeForce GT 720 , my power supply is 600 watts ..... i have tried just about everything and still cant get it to work every time the game browser will crash and i will get the message's ....im not all together sure where they came up with the code name F-16 Fighting Falcon Edition right at the moment i feel its a WWII Spitfire Edition   ..   i have been fighting this issue for several weeks now maybe i wasted my money on this graphics card i dont know ....maybe its a browser issue or both i have never uninstalled and reinstalled so many things in such a short time is there anyone that can help ?  will it help to upgrade to windows 10  ?   i never had this problem with the old 320 but for some reason since i installed the 720 suddenly i have these issues ..the on board graphics is barely compatible and will not let me travel in sl but at least it did not do this..... so how can a graphics card that is an old GeForce GT 320 run sl like its nothing and a GeForce GT 720 cant ?   i asked linden labs they gave me some pointers and after letting them know it did not work they suggested i try here ...i am not sure what to do about the problem  , i am including screen shots so to give an idea of what i am having to deal with :-/ 

screen shot.jpg

16 answers to this question

Unless I missed it somewhere in your description, it doesn't look as if you downloaded and installed new graphics drivers when you replaced that graphics card.  Even if you did, I suggest doing it again.  If you take a look at the Knowledge Base article on graphics card issues, you'll find this bit of advice:

"NVIDIA graphics cards may cause driver-related problems. After installing the latest NVIDIA drivers, the Second Life® Viewer may crash with an error message that states: "Second Life is unable to run because your video card drivers did not install properly, are out of date, or are for unsupported hardware." This appears to be a problem with the NVIDIA drivers' initial installation: the first time the install process is run, something fails silently — a file or set of files doesn't copy properly, but the installer doesn't give you any notice that something went wrong."

Incidentally, don't expect miracles out of that new card.  The GT 720 is an improvement over the 320, but doesn't stack up very well compared to most of the cards currently in use for environments like SL.

https://i.gyazo.com/a75b8370f7235490ffcdf39eef73e52d.png

Edited by Rolig Loon

Thank you for your input  :-) .....i have tried reinstalling the graphics driver by going to the NVIDIA web site and i did a clean install but still the same thing...so i have decided that i should have done more research on this card before getting it so i have been looking at some others and was wondering if you could tell me if a GeForce GTX 1050 Gaming card would work ? or does it need to be a certain card or brand  ...thank you in advance for your response :-) 

The GTX 1050 is a significantly better card, and your 600 watt power supply can handle it.  Be sure that it will fit physically into your machine. Before you buy any component for your computer, do as much research as you can.  https://gyazo.com/9973b755c9adfb596980f2b13227120f

It worries me that reinstalling the drivers did not cure your problem, though. Have you had a local tech person look at the machine to be sure that you installed the card correctly? Have you used the NVIDIA control panel to assure that SL is actually using that card and not trying to load with the default chip on your motherboard?

Ok i made sure second life was added to the NVIDIA control panel and also added the firestorm browser as well i was able to stay in sl for a whole 15 min i had the radio playing in my sl home while i was on then suddenly things went wrong the screen went black and the music turned into a buzzing loop and it did not seem to recover like before so i had to end up shutting down my computer using the power button then started windows normally just to get it corrected ...guess im going to have to just get another graphics card i checked and double checked to make sure the graphics card was inserted properly and it is so im just going to have to get the   GeForce GTX 1050 Gaming card i would get a higher end card but i am on a fixed income so i have to budget what i get and the 1050 fits right in to what i can afford at the moment ...this particular card the GeForce GT 720 has me baffled ...you would think since it is newer than the 320 then it should be able to handle everything that the 320 could and more being its a 720 and both of them are 64 bit ...the GeForce GTX 1050  that i am going to get is 128 bit not sure if that will make the difference or not but anything has to be better than the 720 ... i want to thank you and everyone who has tried to help me with this ...its been a real headache trying to get this thing to work i have done everything from updating my bios , updating the drivers for my mother board , i have ran malware scans , virus scans , spyware scans , uninstalled video drivers reinstalled them with a clean install ,  uninstalled sl browser and firestorm browser and reinstalled them both ,  i made sure everything has good airflow inside the computer case ...i checked for hardware changes ...i had my computer check for errors on boot up ...i defragmented ...i re-ran the stress tests on the graphics card and low and behold it passed both tests one of them being a burn in test ...i am at a loss on this so the only other option for me now is to just buy another graphics card and hope for the best   :-\

On 01 September 2017 at 4:00 PM, william1965 said:

i was able to stay in sl for a whole 15 min i had the radio playing in my sl home while i was on then suddenly things went wrong the screen went black and the music turned into a buzzing loop

OK... Win 7 32 bit... HMMMMMMM

Ok, this is a bit of a wild guess based on events that ha[p[ened to me way back and to people I knew... No promises...

Question, do you have windont auto-f**kup-dates enabled. If so, SWITCH THEM OFF.

With older 32 bit windonts, you sometimes find that the auto-f-up dates will stomp on your 3rd party drivers support for OpenGL, usually with updates to .net framework for example.

SL uses the OpenGl rendering system, for multi hardware/os compatibility, and windont have a history of trying to eradicate this in favour of directx, so updates to windont 7 would occasionally mess with your drivers AFTER you installed them, crippling the opengl, that can lead to black screens, graphics glitches, and viewer crashes, if the opengl drivers go, the viewer shuts down, hard.

IF, I repeat IF, its sabotaged opengl, the fix is easy, disable windont auto-f-up-dates, reinstall your drivers, and login as normal.

Doesn't take long to try, and MIGHT fix your problem...

If the 720 is not working I would be very hesitant to buy a 1050.

Older NVIDIA drivers had the problem of video card crashing. If you have the latest form NVIDIA for your card, it should NOT be a problem.

Since your 320 (?) failed, did you remove its drivers? They may cause a problem. Try striping out all (ALL) NVIDIA drivers and reinstalling for the 720. (See Major Geeks)

Also, there is an additional power cord that connects to the 720. You did connect it, yes?

Get CPUID HWMonitor (free) and check temperatures. If you go full on geek, you can look up operating voltages for the 720 and check those too.

There are lots of people using 700 series cards in SL. So, it should not be a problem. If you cannot find the problem, you may see it with the 1050 too. Or... it might go away. But, I suspect a hardware problem. I am assuming the 720 was purchased new?

The Win 7 32-bit is crash prone when running SL... well... crash prone PERIOD. About 10 times more than the 64-bit version, especially when running SL.

ok i have went to Major Geeks and downloaded Display Driver Uninstaller and have used it to get rid of all NVIDIA Drivers i have also checked to see about the additional power cord and could find none on the card i have also taken some pictures for you to look at maybe i missed something but i could not find any also i got a snapshot of the sticker on back of the card maybe it offers information i'm not sure i reinstalled the NVIDIA website and made sure they are the latest drivers its a problem i had not ran into before and there is no reason this card shouldn't work if i cant get it working as it should i see only two options ...one  get another card or Two upgrade to windows 10 but i only have the 32 bit windows ...my computer can handle  both 32 bit and 64 bit sadly i only have 32 bit windows ...i have the following windows systems .....windows XP home ....windows 7 home...windows 10 home....all 32 bit i should have gotten them in 64 bit but didn't  ..but if i have to install windows 10  i only use 7 because i like windows 7 better ....i have tried everything else ,  my old card that died was a Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GT 320 with 1 GB of memory  i don't remember if it was 64 bit or 128 bit  it was a very good graphics card and performed very well i was hoping to get better performance from this graphics card ..but below are snapshots of the card i removed it form the computer to get the pictures then reinstalled it but im starting to wonder if i should have just left it out of the computer and waited until i get another one ...i had done some research online and some say for openGL games you would need a GTX card so im not sure but the NVIDIA GeForce  1050 is a GTX graphics card i have tried to find another card like my old one but i guess its a dinosaur and cant be found its just hard to believe  that  my old card out performed this new one ..also not sure if it will help you out but i can also provide info on my system should you need it like motherboard or memory and processor .... should you require it . ...but i could not find any power cord connection ......also something i have noticed is that the pins on the new card are larger than the ones on my old card i am also including a picture of my old card so you can see what i am talking about maybe this could be the problem im not sure .

0906170834a.jpg

0906170834c.jpg

0906170834d.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Edited by william1965

32 minutes ago, william1965 said:

ok i have went to Major Geeks and downloaded Display Driver Uninstaller and have used it to get rid of all NVIDIA Drivers i have also checked to see about the additional power cord and could find none on the card i have also taken some pictures for you to look at maybe i missed something but i could not find any also i got a snapshot of the sticker on back of the card maybe it offers information i'm not sure i reinstalled the NVIDIA website and made sure they are the latest drivers its a problem i had not ran into before and there is no reason this card shouldn't work if i cant get it working as it should i see only two options ...one  get another card or Two upgrade to windows 10 but i only have the 32 bit windows ...my computer can handle  both 32 bit and 64 bit sadly i only have 32 bit windows ...i have the following windows systems .....windows XP home ....windows 7 home...windows 10 home....all 32 bit i should have gotten them in 64 bit but didn't  ..but if i have to install windows 10  i only use 7 because i like windows 7 better ....i have tried everything else ,  my old card that died was a Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GT 320 with 1 GB of memory  i don't remember if it was 64 bit or 128 bit  it was a very good graphics card and performed very well i was hoping to get better performance from this graphics card ..but below are snapshots of the card i removed it form the computer to get the pictures then reinstalled it but im starting to wonder if i should have just left it out of the computer and waited until i get another one ...i had done some research online and some say for openGL games you would need a GTX card so im not sure but the NVIDIA GeForce  1050 is a GTX graphics card i have tried to find another card like my old one but i guess its a dinosaur and cant be found its just hard to believe  that  my old card out performed this new one ..also not sure if it will help you out but i can also provide info on my system should you need it like motherboard or memory and processor .... should you require it . ...but i could not find any power cord connection ......also something i have noticed is that the pins on the new card are larger than the ones on my old card i am also including a picture of my old card so you can see what i am talking about maybe this could be the problem im not sure .

0906170834a.jpg

0906170834c.jpg

0906170834d.jpg

33 minutes ago, william1965 said:

0906170834a.jpg

0906170834c.jpg

0906170834d.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

this is the old graphics card that i had the pins are very different from the new card above would this make the difference ?   

well to me the 320 was a good card .    it so far was better than what i have now .   as far as the power supply goes the brand name is  SIGMA i bought it from newegg.com where i buy all my parts accept this new graphics card in which i got from amazon because of the price .  i built this computer myself and the only  reason i was looking for an extra power connector is because someone suggested it .  and yes i have the monitor hooked up to the graphics card i know the difference and as far as the RAM goes i can go as high as 16 GIG if i want i figured i would not need any more than 16 GIG of RAM max i had no problems before with 3 GB of RAM and i chose low end because that is what my budget allowed me not all people have deep pockets i make do with what i have .  i know there are much better mother boards out there that can handle much more RAM than what i have but i have to budget myself .    and i have never had my system fail to boot its been very dependable and even if the power supply did collapse i have a brand new 650 what waiting to take its place and a back up mother board as well ...i came here to see if anyone can help not to be told that my system is inferior or my components are failing which i doubt very seriously the system is only 2 yrs old and has never let me down the only let down so far is the graphics card i bought . sorry to be a bother to everyone i will not take up anymore of anyone's time with my petty problems .

The GT 320 (release date 2010) uses 43w and recommends 300w min of system power. The GTX 720 uses 19w and has the same system req.

There is no additional power receptacle, so not additional power leads are required. I was mistaken thinking the 700-series required additional power beyond what comes from the motherboard.

However, the 1000 series does require an additional power lead. So, if you choose to get one make sure your power supply has the provision for the connection.

The GTX 1050 will need 75w. But, Nvidia retains the 300w system spec… which I think is a bit bogus.

Depending on what all you have in the machine your 600w PS is likely adequate, more than… ASUS has a power supply sizing work sheet-page on their site. (Google) You can use that to verify whether you are likely having power issues. I would guess not.

GTX 1060 3GB cards are going for US$170 and up on eBay. The 1060 6GB start at about $200 and up. Every so often deals pop up. Use the eBay WATCH to catch them. (CompareBetter charts) The difference between the 50 and 60 is significant.

16GB of RAM is fine. Many run SL with only 8GB, which I think is too little. But… only 64-bit systems can use more than 3.5GB of memory, regardless of how much is installed on the motherboard.

My hardware monitors seldom show my system using more than 2GB for Firestorm. So, those that think I’m nuts for recommending more than 8GB have reasonable grounds for thinking so.

On a 32-bit system the computer can run out of memory very quickly when running SL. Both FS and Linden viewers have memory leaks. In my Win 7 64-bit 8GB system both FS and LL viewers suffered mini-freezes (system paging) and other problems. When I pushed it to 16GB the problems went away and I had fewer crashes.

Whether new or used, it may be a defective card. We have eliminated most other hardware and driver possibilities.

I haven’t seen where you have checked temp and load on the GPU. While temp can be a problem, check that there is a load and the card is actually being used. If the system manages to revert to HD Graphics it consumes system memory and 8GB may not be enough and for certain the 4GB of useable RAM on a 32-bit system isn’t.

Your solid blocks of text are difficult to read. Paragraphs are way helpful.

I buy a lot of my components via eBay. All the problems I have encountered with defective parts advertised as good, and that is VERY few, have been handled well. No lost money. Some lost time.

I would try the change to 64-bit. The Win 10 usually comes with 32 and 64-bit versions on the DVD. If not, you can download the 64 from Microsoft for free and use you COA key. You just have to match the key as Home or Pro to the software you install.

The Lindens STRONGLY encourage a change to 64. Their stats show 64 systems crashing way less often, like 10 times less. Drivers are now written primarily for Win 10 64. Also, how gaming video is handled in Win 10 changed. There are more and more games that run only on Win 10 because of that change.

Win 7 and Win 10 are similar. Win 8 was the disaster. I understand most of the people that designed 8 are gone or transferred to writing software for refrigerators in Alaska… So, the change from 7 to 10 may not be as bad as you may think. I went Vista, 7, and then 10. Clients used 8 and I hated it when I had to work on their machines.

You obviously got a period (" . ") key, would be very considerate of you to use it more often, along with linebreaks and paragraphs, so potential helpers can actually follow your small walls of text more easily. Thanks.

Also, thanks for the laugh of calling the GT 320 a "good card". If I'm not completely mistaken, current generation on board iGPUs easily outperform that "good card". But well.

My guess is that you have an OEM machine with a limited mainboard which might not be capable of handling newer hardware. This would usually mean that the machine doesn't boot at all. But the ongoing problems might be an indicator in that direction. 

Though I also do not trust no-name power supplies, even one that merely produces half of the promised wattage would be sufficient in this case. However, considering that all your components seem to be pretty dated, the power supply could also be on the edge of collapsing for good. No one can tell based on the info of a forum post.

Cards in that low range usually don't need an extra power connector, that's why you didn't find any on your card. They can get enough power through the socket they sit in.

Are you certain, though, that you reconnected your monitor to the graphic card, not to any mainboard port that uses the CPU's integrated graphics?

Your 32bit key should also be valid for any 64bit version of the same OS. Read here, for example. But since you only have 3 GB RAM in total, there isn't much point in switching. 
You can also google for instructions on how to legally upgrade your Win7 license to a Win10 one for free, by making use of a Microsoft account associated with that Win7 key. 

Even though SL is an OpenGL based plattform, you can just as well use an AMD card. In theory, your low end choice among the current generations would be a Nvidia GT 1030 or an AMD RX 550 or RX 560 ... those GT(X) and RX labels are merely indicators for their brand and series. 

Overall, I would not recommend to invest any more money into that machine at all. It simply isn't worth it anymore, so I won't mention any specific new parts to get.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2451 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.