New Grid-Wide Game?

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2490 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The Lindens announced some new investments and improvements and a grid-wide game.

So I think it's time to put out that wriggly egg. I had put it back in inventory because it was driving me nuts with its wriggling but maybe now?

I have to say I'm a tad jaded about Linden games. There was that one that was IMPOSSIBLE to win or even collect a few prizes from because it kept teleporting you dead back to home when these zombies killed you in a cornfield. No thanks.

Then there was that one where these rolling rocks killed you while you struggled I think to get elf potions or something in a house -- I could never complete it, flattened too many times.

Then there was that funhouse ride with different pitfalls and treasures -- ok, dead again.

Really, the premise of online games -- kill stuff, or be killed yourself -- just doesn't grab me. I'm not good at it and have no reason to stick to it. I like games where you collect stuff and build things or find treasures. But that's a different kind of game.

A grid-wide game will likely involve being teleported home dead so many times that I will have to repair the landing on my home base from thudding on it so many times.

• Like 1

I'm ticked with the killing things part of games too, Prok. Like why does a supposed 'city builder' or 'resource management' game need to become all about beating up on the creatures it's defined as the 'bad guys'? Don't like it at all.

My wriggly egg lives behind a cellar wall where I don't have to see it. If it hatches while I've forgotten it (which is 99.9999% of the time), the walls from the building above will hopefully keep it from wandering off. This long wait seems rather pointless though IMO.

The whole world needs more joy and love and co-operation. What's going on that so much of our 'entertainment' centers around depictions of violence or dissing strangers on the internet?

Hopefully this new game will be different and something I can manage. I'm too sick to build again and should probably just pack it in. If I do, I'll be looking for another reason to continue here.

Good luck with finding fun that suits you, Prok.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

My wriggly egg lives behind a cellar wall where I don't have to see it. If it hatches while I've forgotten it (which is 99.9999% of the time), the walls from the building above will hopefully keep it from wandering off. This long wait seems rather pointless though IMO.

Now there's an idea! But what if it needs sunlight to grow or it needs to communicate with its master and that won't work through walls....or something.

You've given me an idea, though. I need to stick it up on a hill or mountain and forget about it. Out of sight, out of mind. Except, you *did* say you think about it like .1111 percent of the time, right? And that scares me...

I usually make my own entertainment in SL, and log off if griefers, games, whining tenants, whatever get too unpleasant. I agree that most games are about war, what can you do.

I have always said there are three kinds of games on line and in SL: playing house, playing store, playing war. I like playing store most of all. Others like playing house. Playing war isn't really so successful in SL for various reasons, so they should cater to the first two kinds of gamers.

• Like 1

What would be nice is if the Moles could develop a game that satisfies the 3 common gamer archetypes:

- The Fun Seeker: The game is immersive or attention demanding, not too repetitive and fun to play with others or on multiple occasions.

- The Professional: The game rewards talent and/or speedrunning by offering rare goods, posting player completion times/high scores/achievements.

- The Completionist: The game is not linear, has multiple paths to an ending or multiple endings, has side quests and useless stats and/or % complete/achievement tracker.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

You've given me an idea, though. I need to stick it up on a hill or mountain and forget about it. Out of sight, out of mind. Except, you *did* say you think about it like .1111 percent of the time, right? And that scares me...

Thinking about it .1111% would be forgetting about it 99.8889

That's an extra .1110% of brain power freed up for Blender-Edit-UV-GIMP-edit-uv-gimp-edit-uv-edit-uv-gimp-edit-uv-SL-ohbleepLoDs workflow. :SwingingFriends: I need every little bit.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

That's three votes for something non-violent. 

I doubt it will be though. Most games now are all about guns and shooting and kill kill kill (even some  toddler games - OMG!)

Four votes.

I have been looking forward to cat sorter. But for SL we do have breedables already.

Maybe breedable Linden bears?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think "Tyrah and the Curse of the Magical Glytches" might be the new grid wide game i saw something about it at Zebrasil info hub it requires a hud and a catching weapon that can only be obtained via a portal at Portal park 1 which due to being banned from the sim means i wont be able to take part but from what i've seen on the wiki page it looks like it could be a fun way to kill time if your bored

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

I think "Tyrah and the Curse of the Magical Glytches" might be the new grid wide game i saw something about it at Zebrasil info hub it requires a hud and a catching weapon that can only be obtained via a portal at Portal park 1 which due to being banned from the sim means i wont be able to take part but from what i've seen on the wiki page it looks like it could be a fun way to kill time if your bored

Good to know. Cute buildings. 

BUT OF COURSE THERE ARE NUMEROUS WEAPONS!!!!!!!!

Booo Hisss. 

I saw this new game yesterday when I went to the realms and got stuck when I tried to enter the portal. When I went back to try again there was a Mole there doing some tinkering and unfortunately theres now a locked door at the entrance to the new game at both portal parks. I guess the glytches must be causing glitches.

On 9/16/2017 at 9:21 PM, Chic Aeon said:

Good to know. Cute buildings. 

BUT OF COURSE THERE ARE NUMEROUS WEAPONS!!!!!!!!

Booo Hisss. 

I just had time only to glance through the pages of it but it looked like it had not just weapons but questing and collecting stuff. I can only hope this isn't going to be as brutally unfair as the cornfield one.

It also explains what to do with the egg but it sounded more complicated than turning sion corn into feed for your chickens.

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I just had time only to glance through the pages of it but it looked like it had not just weapons but questing and collecting stuff. I can only hope this isn't going to be as brutally unfair as the cornfield one.

It also explains what to do with the egg but it sounded more complicated than turning sion corn into feed for your chickens.

Well the JAR and the NET aren't exactly weapons in my book bu that humongous bazooka certainly is.  It doesn't sound like you kill them though, just capture. That's a step up most likely. Will go over in a few days and see. 

To update this, the Glytch hunter are just capturing the little guys. The little guys aren't always that friendly though. But for me it doesn't FEEL all that violent. It is much like The Realms.  The Glytchs are fun and it is exciting to see new ones that don't show up all that often.   I have plenty of hints on the game but I will keep those to myself and let folks find out on their own.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2490 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.