is vr gear required for sansar?

Darodarai Llewellyn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2438 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

Vanity is right on. VR headsets are not needed. Some of the Sansar Lindens only run Sansar on their desktop.

Sansar News is a GOOD unofficial source of Sansar news. I follow it.

There is also a Sansar 'forum' and 'blog'. Its pretty ugly at the moment, but they are going to change it out for better software. There are "How To's" and meeting schedules, the store, yadda yadda.

The current Sansar desktop experience is pretty lame. Graphics are awesome. At the last Friday Product Meet Up (Aug 18) we learned that an update is likely to arrive about the end of the month that will greatly improve the desktop experience. If you are interested in an informative meeting that ran about 2 hours see Sansar – What is a Product Meet Up like? The blog article has an index to the video. So, you can skim it in a few minutes for just the things that interest you.

There are daily Casual Meet Ups at 1 PM PT this week. More information and for official sources see Sansar Meetings 2017 w34.

There are a number of SL users that think Sansar is the end of SL. I don't. Once you have been there, you'll understand why. Sansar has possibilities. Replacing SL isn't one of them.

Some think Sansar will pull most of the SL users to Sansar. I don't. Sansar is very different from SL. In the future it will be a little more like SL, multi-user building is coming, like next year. The fashion market will arrive, probably by the end of the year, but maybe not... Avatar animations will arrive this year, but not yet here. Object animation will arrive, probably within a month. But, to reach the level of SL usefulness it will likely take another year. Even then it is going to be different. One big difference is teleporting to new places. To go some place you have never been can take 5+ minutes... they are working to reduce that. Plus, the Sansar Atlas (think Destination Guide) is so primitive it sucks.

In Sansar it looks like they download everything that makes up an experience (think region) at the start. This allows the VR experience to run without having to download more stuff. But, you wait at the start. If you played in Blue Mars, they used this same solution. It does make for a very lag free experience, even with 40 avatars in the area. If you look at the Sansar Product Meet Up video I made and then one of the SL Content Creation UG videos I made using the same hardware you can see the difference.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
Added a bit...

You do NOT need to have a VR headset (Oculus Rift or HTC Vive) to go into Sansar. You can run Sansar in desktop (non-VR) mode. SL blogger Inara Pey has created a great blogpost for beginner desktop users of Sansar: https://modemworld.me/2017/08/09/sansar-basics-atlas-desktop-mode-movement-chat-and-friends/

I wanted to let everybody know that I have started a blog devoted to Sansar, to my knowledge the very first user-created blog about Sansar, called the Sansar Newsblog. It's at https://sansarnewsblog.wordpress.com/ and I welcome all of you to come in and have a look. (i started the blog back in January, but I did not really start posting until Linden Lab opened the doors to the public in its open creator beta on July 31st.)

Every day, I highlight a specific Sansar experience in my Pick of the Day . Also, every day I post a picture of a different experience as my Scene of the Day. I have interviewed Sansar content creators such as Maxwell Graf of Rustica, and I share tips and tricks to help you get the most out of Sansar. I am also Sansar's first fashion blogger!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2438 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.