LODs affecting physics complexity?!

Devriv

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2450 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I feel terrible.  My attempt at humour backfired.

ChinRey, your work in SL may not have brought you riches, but it has inspired many others, to try to do the low LI thing.  And what is more wonderful, your unselfish sharing of the techniques and discoveries has been a practical help to us all.

My motto is: 'if it's ChinRey, read it until you understand it, the investment is worth it.'  (OK there are couple more people I say that about, you know who you are!)

• Like 4

12 hours ago, anna2358 said:

I feel terrible.  My attempt at humour backfired.

I can take that. In fact, I think I needed an excuse for a forum blowout. I've been way too nice here recently and "some people" may have startd to believe I'm a pushover. ;)

12 hours ago, anna2358 said:

And what is more wonderful, your unselfish sharing of the techniques and discoveries has been a practical help to us all.

Glad to hear that. But unfortunately, an hour spent researching is an hour spent not marketing and so from a commercial point of view it's a very bad move.

Linden Lab certainly isn't going to reward you for taking the time to learn the craft properly. I don't know what criteria are used to choose who are going to be invited to the seasonal MP promo sales or be featured by LL's tame video blogger or have their builds dragged out of the grave to be promoted as "the Home of the Moles" but quality certainly has nothing to do with it. (I actually asked @Dakota Linden about the MP promo sales once but she evaded the question and I didn't want to push her. ;)).

Linden Lab doesn't even bother with a "thank you" to the volunteers who have spent countless hours to figure things out and try to develop the documentation the Lindens are paid to deliver but can't be bothered to.

Or maybe it's more correct to say they aren't able to deliver. As far as I am aware of, there's not a single Linden who knows how to make mesh. Imagine a car manufacturer where nobody has a driver license. That's essentially how LL seems to work. Oh, some of the Moles have become fairly decent mesh makers recently but that took five years and they're still far behind the front of the field where they should have been right from the start. Besides, it doesn't seem LL takes the Moles and their expertise very seriously anyway.

When the new increased prim limit was announced, @Patch Linden said he hoped people would use some of that new prim quota to improve the build quality, presumably he was hoping for less LoD butchery. In the four years I have been a mesh builder in SL, that's the only time I've heard a Linden even mention the technical quality and all he had to offer was a vain hope that's not going to make any difference at all.

The large amount of poorly optimized mesh in Second Life adds a lot to the overhead, both on the server and the client side. That means more lag, more render isues of all kinds, higher hardware requirements and more bandwidth used. It also limits the possibilities of creating shared social environments in SL. All these factors have negative impact on SL's retention rate concurrency and overall popularity. How much impact is impossible to say but I'm convinced it's significant and it is very frustrating when Linden Lab doesn't seem to care about it at all.

Oh well, we're supposed to stay on topic on this forum. I went off on a tangent and then I went off on a tangent from my tangent. ;) I better try to take it back home:

Why does this thread exist? Why did Devriv ask? Why did me and Chic and Arton speculate about it? Why did Aquila spend time testing to find the answer? In other words: why didn't we simply read the SL mesh manual?

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 4

I have to agree with that sentiment!  I was lost when I decided to get into SL mesh stuffs, it wasn't until I found this forum that I was able to find bits to spur me on... and it is the Mesh that brought me back to SL after a long hiatus.   I really appreciate your mastered ability to create low-lag optimized mesh builds, to me that is paramount, its not form vs function, its a combined paradigm... without optimal function, the form quickly gives way to lod/lag/hardware obscurity.

I don't know if I will attempt to sell things or not, but I am obsessing over creating mesh and having a blast, so who knows?  Maybe I will lol, it would be great to have my own sims or whole regions, and for this to at least partially fund that expanded creative/sharing space.  For now I own some mainland double-prim lots in LL's newest lands, to test & push my skills, lol baby steps!   I've built it up and ripped it down several times already before diving in to learn Blender better & create my own custom bits, im even taking some blender coursework, I want so much for it to be a good balance of quality, and low-lag/prim.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2450 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.