Can I transfer chat IM to new computer?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

I keep mine in a dropbox so I can access from any of my devices.

Brilliant!

I'm not at my computer so I can't check, but I think you can locate the chat folder from Preferences. And I imagine you changed the path there to point to your dropbox account.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters

5 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Brilliant!

I'm not at my computer so I can't check, but I think you can locate the chat folder from Preferences. And I imagine you changed the path there to point to your dropbox account.

Yes  that is what I did. :)

You can find the root folder for your chat logs in Preferences.   They are all flat text files so not need for special apps or anything.  Just copy that folder and all of its sub-folders to a flash drive, google drive, one drive, drop box or what ever.you want to use. Next, on the new computer, load up and run SL so that all the proper folders are created. Then, move everything to the same folder as it was on the old computer.

Ok, I do have the folders on the new computer, and on a USB drive.  I didn't know if they could be installed in the viewer, and I didn't know how to install them.

This is what I have on my new computer. I downloaded Singularity on there, but not run it yet. Just had it come up. Didn't enter the name and password.

C:\Users\myname\Documents\SecondLife\frankie_antonioni

They should go into the same folder location on the new computer that you copied them from, unless you also have a different OS - i.e. it might be different between Windows 7 and Windows 10.  Go to Me / Preferences and then the Chat tab, assuming the Singularity viewer is the same setup as the SL Viewer, and pull the location from there - down towards the bottom of the window.  For Windows 7 it defaults to something like:  C:\Users\<windows-login>\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife. Inside that folder, there will be a sub-folder for your SL login name.  Place the conversation.log and all of the various chat txt files in there.

I would paste the files from the old computer into whatever folder the new computer shows as the one for your chat logs (don't forget to actually go into the sub-folder for your SL name).  I wouldn't replace the entire folder as that folder will have more than just chat & IM logs.  The chat log is file 'conversation.log'.  The IM logs are the ones that end in '.txt' and the file name itself is either a person or group that you had an IM conversation with.

I got it done last night. I tried over, and over the past few days. First I had gotten an old one that was from 2,010, to 2,014. I did some more, and the IM history went blank. Then I tried a few more times, and I got it.

Now I just have problems with media. When I click play media, I can't turn the media off. I can turn the radio off. Just can't turn off the media. When I turn it on, the off button won't show up. The only way I can turn off media, is to click on nearby media, and then click stop all media.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.