Tonic Fine Beauty is the best female mesh body available in SL (a plea to creators)

Sylvia Wasp

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2188 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I like curves, big chest and big bottoms, not massively huge, but big. I tried Tonic Curvy and it's so so thin that it doesn't look exactly curvy. Even if I work on the shape. I ended up sticking with Belleza Freya, HG looks too plastic and  Maitreya's chest looks weird on large size.

On 2/11/2018 at 4:45 PM, MaggiJin said:

Calling it realistic is laughable, seeing as womans bodies vary so much, literally any of the mesh bodies can be said to be realistic.

I think we are referring to how gravity affects the shape of some things. Helium-filled torpedo boobs infesting SL notwithstanding. ~Snorts~

2 hours ago, MaggiJin said:

you can get the same effect with the tonic bodies :)

Precisely - that was my point. Tonic and *some versions* of Belleza have a more realistic breast profile, a.k.a. "teardrop" shape that comes with gravity. Though lots of guys (yea, I am saying what I mean and meaning what I say LOL) tend to turn the "buoyancy" slider all the way up ("helium), and make them laughably large (in proportion to the chest and shoulder size and so on).

I think Tonic and Belleza have the most realistic breast profiles (among other parts). Obviously, this is only my opinion on the matter, everyone else's mileage will vary.

But I digress.

25 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Precisely - that was my point. Tonic and *some versions* of Belleza have a more realistic breast profile, a.k.a. "teardrop" shape that comes with gravity. Though lots of guys (yea, I am saying what I mean and meaning what I say LOL) tend to turn the "buoyancy" slider all the way up ("helium), and make them laughably large (in proportion to the chest and shoulder size and so on).

I think Tonic and Belleza have the most realistic breast profiles (among other parts). Obviously, this is only my opinion on the matter, everyone else's mileage will vary.

But I digress.

well you don't get to scream at creators and tell them what to make honey. they don't work with tonic for good reason ;)

On 2/11/2018 at 7:13 PM, ChinRey said:

I'm not sure what that has to do with mesh bodies but you are right. Second Life walking speed is roughly twice as fast as average RL human walking speed. (This was one of the problems when people tried using VR headsets in SL btw. and also one of the main reasons why mouselook and 1st person view work so poorly in SL)

Exactly. Yeah, it wasn't in relation to mesh bodies but in reply to another post about walking speeds in SL. That's a good point too about VR - I know that in mouselook it's insane trying to move around without something to limit the speed. I use Speed Control HUD, which I found on MP but it's not a cure-all. For one thing, you really have to disable it going up or down steps - it doesn't like steps. But it does make for pleasant walks through sims (unless none of your friends are using it, in which case they just disappear into the distance). 

On 2/27/2018 at 3:13 PM, Chic Aeon said:

So if I was going to make clothes, I too would be making them for Maitreya UNLESS I "really liked to rig" (which I know for sure that I do not).

You really do need to cater to this market; however, as you pointed out, it grows and evolves. Once upon a time Slink ruled the world. Latest large polls have shown Slink barely edging out Tonic for fourth place. Still, most major creators that we all know and love like Blueberry make their creations for Maitreya, Slink P/H, and Belleza F/I/V. Should trends continue though and remain that way for a time, it wouldn't surprise me to see Tonic supplant Slink as one of the big three - just depends on the market.

Given the volatility of the market, creators like to hedge their bets. They want to make things that will sell well over the longest period of time. Other factors can also play a role, such as the ease of access to creators' kits from the mesh body makers. Maitreya is infamous for making clothes meshers try to guess what works and doesn't, while other body makers provide an easier pathway. Those things all factor in. For its kit, Slink is infamous for turning up its nose at smaller stores or upstarts. That never seemed to make much economic sense to me but much of SL is driven by feels, and I guess it's these body makers' SL just as much as it is anyone else's. If they want to RP hard to get, they have the freedom to do that.

But anyway, clothing creators like to keep their options open and naturally prefer the things that are most adventurous to them. As Slink declined, more creators ran to Maitreya (and Slink was slow to respond and rework its model in the Bento age, still charging hundreds for each hand pose even as Maitreya offered several (and animated!) included with its body and other creators offered free hand poses on MP that were just as good as Slink's). If Maitreya declines against whatever happens to be the big next, clothiers will move on too. The market is in motion and everything is in flux, so there certainly is reason for Tonic users (and Fizz) to hope it goes their way. I certainly do, although I don't mind Maitreya as my second option. 

4 hours ago, mehllama said:

You really do need to cater to this market; however, as you pointed out, it grows and evolves. Once upon a time Slink ruled the world. Latest large polls have shown Slink barely edging out Tonic for fourth place. Still, most major creators that we all know and love like Blueberry make their creations for Maitreya, Slink P/H, and Belleza F/I/V. Should trends continue though and remain that way for a time, it wouldn't surprise me to see Tonic supplant Slink as one of the big three - just depends on the market.

Given the volatility of the market, creators like to hedge their bets. They want to make things that will sell well over the longest period of time. Other factors can also play a role, such as the ease of access to creators' kits from the mesh body makers. Maitreya is infamous for making clothes meshers try to guess what works and doesn't, while other body makers provide an easier pathway. Those things all factor in. For its kit, Slink is infamous for turning up its nose at smaller stores or upstarts. That never seemed to make much economic sense to me but much of SL is driven by feels, and I guess it's these body makers' SL just as much as it is anyone else's. If they want to RP hard to get, they have the freedom to do that.

But anyway, clothing creators like to keep their options open and naturally prefer the things that are most adventurous to them. As Slink declined, more creators ran to Maitreya (and Slink was slow to respond and rework its model in the Bento age, still charging hundreds for each hand pose even as Maitreya offered several (and animated!) included with its body and other creators offered free hand poses on MP that were just as good as Slink's). If Maitreya declines against whatever happens to be the big next, clothiers will move on too. The market is in motion and everything is in flux, so there certainly is reason for Tonic users (and Fizz) to hope it goes their way. I certainly do, although I don't mind Maitreya as my second option. 

Sorry, but Slink is one of the stores that most embrace small stores, when I get the body slink my store only had 3 items.

On 3/5/2018 at 9:51 AM, mehllama said:

Slink's Bento hands were on the market before Maitreya's hands were updated, and existing Slink hand users had their hands updated for free.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2018 at 11:14 AM, Theresa Tennyson said:

Slink's Bento hands were on the market before Maitreya's hands were updated, and existing Slink hand users had their hands updated for free.

Yes, I owned them and you still had to buy every possible pose at a ridiculous price to gain access to the new animations for them. Then along came Maitreya's, which offered all the poses for free, plus an animated randomizer to add even further realism. It was brilliant. Other creators also now offer full hand animation sets for free or near-free, as I stated above. Slink has failed to evolve. 

38 minutes ago, mehllama said:

Yes, I owned them and you still had to buy every possible pose at a ridiculous price to gain access to the new animations for them. Then along came Maitreya's, which offered all the poses for free, plus an animated randomizer to add even further realism. It was brilliant. Other creators also now offer full hand animation sets for free or near-free, as I stated above. Slink has failed to evolve. 

Theresa Tennyson sighs.

Bento hand animations are basically universal. Any Bento hand pose will work with any hand.

10 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Theresa Tennyson sighs.

Bento hand animations are basically universal. Any Bento hand pose will work with any hand.

Exactly. So most people are probably going to grab the free or cleaper animations for whatever mesh hand they have than pay 250ish per animation in 2018. With the exception of something truly unique and spectacular. I would definitely pay for ASL (American Sign Language) animations. There are a few out there but not many. 

23 minutes ago, mehllama said:

Exactly. So most people are probably going to grab the free or cleaper animations for whatever mesh hand they have than pay 250ish per animation in 2018. With the exception of something truly unique and spectacular. I would definitely pay for ASL (American Sign Language) animations. There are a few out there but not many. 

And how much has Maitreya made by selling their hands and hand poses?

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/22/2018 at 6:52 AM, Theresa Tennyson said:

And how much has Maitreya made by selling their hands and hand poses?

Quite a lot, I'm sure. There's no question that is one of the perks of buying the Maitreya body and for many that may have been what pushed them over the edge. 

42 minutes ago, mehllama said:

Quite a lot, I'm sure. There's no question that is one of the perks of buying the Maitreya body and for many that may have been what pushed them over the edge. 

Your logic doesn't hold up. Belleza always had multiple hand poses and Slink had Bento hands before Maitreya. Adding the Bento poses only kept Maitreya from losing market share.

9 minutes ago, animats said:

Second Life was created before fat acceptance. This shows in the avatars. Compare Sansar, where all the avatars are slightly overweight.

Sorry animats, but I believe there is no such thing as "fat acceptance", take of those rose-tinted spectacles and take a look at humaniny in all it's disgusting glory. Oversized people still l get blamed for the weirdest stuff just because of their looks.

Edited by Fionalein

Lol...you don't have to buy the animations that any of the hands "come with". I bought ONE type of Slink hand (before Bento)...when the Bento version came out, I bought bento stands from Oracul for 10L (back then, they're at 20L now) a piece. Cheap AS! I would never pay 250l Per hand animation or face animation for that matter...lmao...I don't even...

As for the topic, I love my Slink HG, and only got her because there wasn't anything that I liked at the time...I waited a long time before I bought a mesh body that was "me"...everything else was way too skinny, even with sliders set to max...I wish Tonic Curvy had come out before the HG as I really loved the way I looked in it. And I loved the all three feet heights included as well. The price of the body is really good, compared to all others.

As for clothing, that's probably the hugest reason I haven't purchased the Tonic Curvy. I buy a lot of FP clothing, and only a very few handful of FP creators make things for the Tonic, much less the Tonic Curvy. :(

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2188 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.