Why no reviews?

Lava Babii

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4795 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's typical. The review process in the marketplace takes effort to find (order history list, no other notifications), and also requires written feedback rather than just a rating system. People are too lazy in most cases to follow through on that process for an item they purchased for pennies in a game. Thats my theory.

People is not going to waste their time searchign where they have to go to rate an item. Only people very angry will spend more time searching, and that's why most are negative reviews about not delivered items ;-)

Lot of customers thank me for this or that about my items or customer support, some told me they are going to leave a review, but they din't most of the time. I'm also leaving less reviews now, cause I forget to do it and marketplace have not a direct acces as we had in old xstreet.

The problem is that disgruntled customers do make the effort to find out how to leave a negative review. All the reviews that I received since LL switched from XStreet to SLM read "I didn't get my item". Needless to say that I was never notified, neither by the customers nor by SLM.

And after I made it up to these customers, they couldn't figure out how to change their review. That's just great, considering that these reviews are now no longer offset by positive ones. Not to mention that the delivery errors are LL's responsibility in the first place, not mine. They do a bleep poor job of informing customers of what to do when they don't receive their purchase.

LL need to either make it simple to leave a rating / review and remind the customer of doing so, or completely do away with the much abused rating system imho. On top of that, we need email notifications when people post reviews. And LL needs to finally put an end to the bleeping sales notification spam.

They've been reminded of this again and again, but I guess developing a new viewer that doesn't allow people to buy anything at all (how bleeping idiotic is that?) was more important.

Edfred Jungsten wrote:

It's typical. The review process in the marketplace takes effort to find

unless you keep the purchase conformation open and you think to go back in your browser to the item after you get it your going to close that window and not think about it much when browsing the marketplace

Edfred Jungsten wrote:

People are too lazy in most cases

i think this is very true even if i do remember to go back to the item after purchase i'm not really going to leave a review till i've used the product and i think people will buy something with every intention to use it but never do they might get as far as copying the box etc contents to inventory rezz it once briefly and never rezz it again especially with low cost items

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

They've been reminded of this again and again, but I guess developing a new viewer that doesn't allow people to buy anything at all (how bleeping idiotic is that?) was more important.

Wow, haven't read about the new viewer before (since I don't use V2). That's for sure another great push for business (towards the abyss). Is this all a big strategy of eliminating little businesses from SL? Hey, I just do that for fun. If LL doesn't want me to run a business, they should just tell me.

Catwise Yoshikawa wrote:

People is not going to waste their time searchign where they have to go to rate an item. Only people very angry will spend more time searching, and that's why most are negative reviews about not delivered items ;-)

Lot of customers thank me for this or that about my items or customer support, some told me they are going to leave a review, but they din't most of the time. I'm also leaving less reviews now, cause I forget to do it and marketplace have not a direct acces as we had in old xstreet.

Agree.

- - - - - - - - - -

@Laetiizia, have you seen if there are "more" pages in the reviews?

Laetizia Coronet wrote:

What I'd like to know is why I cannot see lots of reviews, even though there are some. In about 75% of the cases, no reviews show up - it just says that there are for example nine reviews - but you can't read them.

In old Xstreet you could give stars and not write a review. So if you see some reviews not showing is because of that ;-)

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

Once SLM reminds me of it, Like SLX / XStreet did, I will start rating my purchases unless it's too much of an effort.

there's one thing from the old SLX/XStreet days LL should bring back there used to be a little dash/control panel where you could withdraw & remotely deposit money this was before you could use your inworld balance directly and there was favourites and wishlist etc and two useful very functions which i'd like to see bought back one a link to all your unrated items with number of items displayed next to it (i think i had a couple of thousand items in there :smileysurprised:) and a link to all your rated items with number of items displayed next to it 

As far as I understood: It runs in either Basic or Advamced mode, and purchasing something is an advanced feature. Is this whole action chain a controlled shutdown of SL?

I really wonder what's happening. Is there a special LL department working on this? First let's screw up search. Uh, some people are still finding stuff to buy... wait, we can declare them adult, and scare people with an intransparent, privacy-infringing age checker that usually doesn't work for most of the world. Uh oh, they still buy on XStreet. Let's make a low featured web site based on ancient technologies, let a number of kids enter SL and declare everything as adult content which is inappropriate for 6 years olds. WHAT? Someone has sold an item? Now the party's over: With the next viewer they can't spend money anymore by default.

(Sorry for the rant. My business goes down, and I loved to make stuff for SL, never was doing it for money. I am just a little disappointed.)

Luna Bliss wrote:

Ishtara...what?  It's early morn here...maybe I'm still dreaming...or is this an early April 1st joke?  The new viewer doesn't allow you to purchase ?

The Newest Beta Download offers Two choices : More Here

Basic mode is an easier, simplified experience designed to introduce users to Second Life. It includes simple communication and navigation tools such as click to move and hold to move the camera, a choice of 24 pre-configured avatars, and an integrated Destination Guide to help you connect to friends and interesting places quickly and easily. Certain functionality, such as voice capability, building tools, and the ability to purchase virtual goods, is not available in Basic mode.

I wonder if it would be better if each listing showed how many people actually purchased the item, if  most people will not take the time to give a review. At least that way potential customers could see that some people have bought the item and NOT complained.

It would just be better if SL Marketplace made it easier for customers to leave a rating on an item they purchesed. Obviously, this current method DOES NOT WORK.

Yes i agree with the question.

Well, im not a merchant anymore due to this LL behavior we are talking about all over this forum, but lots of my friends are multi selling merchants and most of the merchants in this commerce forum as well.

Selling hundreds or even thousands of great items and getting only a few reviews can be very very frustrating. In most cases people are just to lazy to write a review or others cannot find the function.

But the truth is, a very intelligent person at the Linden Lab had the idea to allow only written reviews! Well, this reminds me of ebay. What about you? The ebay rating system is a longstanding and well-working system. So this very intelligent person was so fascinated by this ebay thingy and told it a few other intelligent persons to create it. And they were all happy about it BUT without thinking about the consequences, which is the usual working method of the LL! Unfortunately they forgot the main reason why it’s working so well for ebay. Because it’s a mutual rating system! Customers can rate merchants AND vice versa! But since the word “mutual” is unknown at the LL, we have to live with it!

I just hope that this person who had this crackpot idea has been fired and the current “commerce team” is now finally working on it.

(And yes there is a reason why "commerce team" is written in quotes)

Since it went to Marketplace I recon I get reviews for about 1 in 200 sales; not exactly valid. As this dribble of reviews adds onto the much more frequent reviews that came in under XSL, it means that only old (and possibly obsolete) items now have large numbers of reviews- exactly the opposite effect that what a buyer would find useful.

Tavo

Tavo Vella wrote:

Since it went to Marketplace I recon I get reviews for about 1 in 200 sales; not exactly valid. As this dribble of reviews adds onto the much more frequent reviews that came in under XSL, it means that only old (and possibly obsolete) items now have large numbers of reviews- exactly the opposite effect that what a buyer would find useful.

Tavo

VERY good point Tavo. Good thinking. Seconded!

Oh now, I like that idea Edfred . Yes, let customers see how many sold and didn't get complaints. Ha ! That is brilliant!

Why not? The current rating system is so lost and convoluted. Made worse, I have to add, that we still have no notification when a review is left, which is most likely an angry one too, since only someone who is angry is going to go to the trouble of figuring out how to rate. It's nuts.

I agree it would be good to show how many of something has been sold -- some of my best selling items, things that I've sold hundreds of times have NO reviews, so it looks like no one is buying them.

Of course, # of sales can be gamed as easily as reviews are now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4795 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.