paying for lindens

tiffanylace09

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3050 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

CheriColette wrote:

Or he could pay another resident who could turn the money into L$.

From the TOS:

4.7 Linden Dollars may not be exchanged outside of the LindeX exchange.

Any purchase of Linden Dollars from anywhere other than the LindeX is not permitted and is considered a violation of these Terms of Service which may result in suspension or termination of your Account.

They can give someone some money in RL for no particular reason. Someone can give someone else L$ for no particular reason.

If they're still struggling with this then person A can rez a cube, set it for sale and person B can purchase the cube, thus creating a transaction of a product, completely in line with the tools provided and compliant with the TOS.

CheriColette wrote:

Surely that is meaning if his friend charged him for the exchange?  Other wise we all guilty of transferring L$ in SL.

Though it's highly unlikely that such a transaction would garner the sort of attention which LL would find actionable, it's still a violation of the ToS.  And, as such, suggesting it here is a violation of the Community Guidelines... since it could be seen as encouraging another to violate a LL policy.

...Dres

CheriColette wrote:

Surely that is meaning if his friend charged him for the exchange?  Other wise we all guilty of transferring L$ in SL.

No it seems black and white to me.  Nothing is said in there about 'charging' for it or not.  Transafering L's to someone in exchange for a RL money payment is prohibited.  Transferring L's as part of a sales transaction or as a gift to someone is not 'buying' Lindens and so is not prohibited.

Of course people are free to do what they wish and they may not get "caught" or they may depending on the amount of $L's involved or the frequency of such an exchange.  Such transactions may trip an investigation to assure no money laundering is going on.

The OP chooses not to give any RL financial information to LL.  That is her choice, but she then has to live with the result or break the TOS and risk her account, as you are suggesting that she do

I still strongly recommend opening and using an account from PayPal. The advantages are many and include:

1. A single entity that has your financial particulars. You do not have to enter account numbers or any other personal/financial data to use PayPal for payments.
  2. PayPal is accepted by a very large number of online sellers.
  3. Excellent reporting tools that exactly detail all money coming in and going out.
  4. EXCELLENT customer service. Over the (at least) 15 years of membership with PayPal, I have had only a few times when I needed them. When I did, I got immediate and successful results.

I too withdraw hurriedly from web sites that want all my account details. I understand the desire to limit the places where you share that info. By using PayPal you limit that exposure to one place AND save yourself a lot of hassle in the process.

PayPal works by using Electronic Funds Transfer to the seller. NONE of your account information is shared. The only time they share your home address is when a shipment of a physical item is required ... and then only if the seller needs that information. (Sellers will usually double-check that what you entered for the delivery address is the same as that on file with PayPal. But otherwise your address is not shared.)

Unlike giving your Credit Card or Bank Account information to complete a purchase, PayPal cannot be  "seller charged". That means the seller cannot hang on to your details and then at some later date use it again to take more money from you. If you provide your CC or Bank Account details then a seller can retain that info and then later use it to take money from your account. That CANNOT HAPPEN with PayPal. The only way it can happen is if you establish a "recurring payment" or "subscription" with the seller ... and there are very clear warnings displayed before that happens. AND you have to allow it as well.

YES, you right Darrius and same reason I use Paypal too. Excellent service and email straight after transaction so you aware (and have record) that its happened. Thats handy if you arent the one who authorised it and can get onto paypal to find out who is using your info. 

Sassy>>>ingenious solution.

Okay Dres and Amethyst....points taken. If its so, well Im not a law breaker, nor will I incite others to break TOS. Lucky its not my problem so easy for me to shut up.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3050 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.