Are IP bans by sim owners allowed?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3091 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What would give you that impression? IPs are fairly easy to get and land owners can ban you for pretty much any reason they wish.  If I remember correctly, the issue with Redzone was that they created lists of possible alts, which LL decided violated their customers' privacy. (And wasn't very accurate to begin with.)

...Dres

Why? For that. very reason, because an IP bans affects everyone using the connection, not just the. object of the ban.

Dresden wrote:

What would give you that impression? IPs are fairly easy to get and land owners can ban you for pretty much any reason they wish.  If I remember correctly, the issue with Redzone was that they created lists of possible alts, which LL decided violated their customers' privacy. (And wasn't very accurate to begin with.)

...Dres

Bunyip Fanshaw wrote:

I was under the impression that IP bans were not permitted after the Redzone thing, but learned from another av recently that he had been IP banned by a sim owner. Is this permitted under the TOS?

estate bans employ some basic alt checking.

that part is done on the server side, not by the estate manager, so it is not a terms of service issue.

OK - Let's chat about basics....

1) Any Region Owner or designated Estate Manager can ban any avatar account for any reason at any time, period. This has nothing to do with PC IP address assignments. The ban can be by individual region or by a whole Estate of regions.

2) Folks with ALTs that are using them to circumvent primary Region Bans are a lot dumber than they think they are. Basically very few people with agendas can successfully deploy ALTs and hide such tells as language use, motive, social knowledge that a new ALT should not have, etc. Not to mention that It's usually pro-forma to ban a group of members of any self-declared griefing group you may be a member of.

3) There is no way for any Region Owner or designated Estate Manager to ban anyone by IP address. This capability belongs to Linden Lab exclusively.

So it is not mentioned in the TOS since no one can ban an avatar account because of the IP address that the PC/Account is using.

So your other avatar friend is talking out of their ......... bottom end.

You go have fun and leave your drama friend way behind.

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

3) There is no way for any Region Owner or designated Estate Manager to ban anyone by IP address. This capability belongs to Linden Lab exclusively.

In fairness to the OP, for a long time it was widely assumed that an Estate ban did not extend beyond the account specifically named in the ban, but it turns out that the Lab does some magic stuff behind the scenes which also sometimes bans some alts for a time.

So, although the person who told the OP they'd been IP banned is probably wrong on a technicality, they may not be full of it quite all the way to the brim.

Qie Niangao wrote:

In fairness to the OP, for a long time it was widely assumed that an Estate ban did not extend beyond the account specifically named in the ban, but it turns out that the Lab does some magic stuff behind the scenes which also sometimes bans some alts for a time.

So, although the person who told the OP they'd been IP banned is probably wrong on a technicality, they may not be full of it quite all the way to the brim.

Qie,

With all due respect, I do not believe you are correct about this. I've owned and managed Regions for over 7 years and an Avatar Ban [Region and/or Estate] has never extended to an ALT account(s) of the individual account originally being banned. I've had to ban the whole lot of ALTs to protect my regions and tenants experience.

Now this does not mean that a Linden lab employee can't act on an A.R. and choose to implement an IP ban.  In my case I never depended on LL to protect me from an Avatar Account of any particular Griefer [and their ALTs]. That is a long wait for a Bus that never comes on time.

IP Bans are not magic. They are a specific administrative block of an IP address by the LL staff in response to a serious event. We as residents do not have access to this option in any way, shape or form.

;D

Pamela Galli wrote:

Good, because if I ban someone I want to ban the person behind the avatar (and his roommate, little brother, and anyone who lives on the same street).

Dammit!  My little sister is sweet as can be... I'm the a-hole.

...Dres

Qie Niangao wrote:

Qie,

With all due respect, I do not believe you are correct about this. I've owned and managed Regions for over 7 years and an Avatar Ban [Region and/or Estate] has never extended to an ALT account(s) of the individual account originally being banned. I've had to ban the whole lot of ALTs to protect my regions and tenants experience.

Now this does not mean that a
Linden lab employee can't act on an A.R
. and choose to implement an IP ban.  In my case I never depended on LL to protect me from an Avatar Account of any particular Griefer [and their ALTs]. That is a long wait for a Bus that never comes on time.

IP Bans are not magic. They are a specific administrative block of an IP address by the LL staff in response to a serious event. We as residents do not have access to this option in any way, shape or form.

;D

I think you and Qie (with whom I respectfully concur) are talking about two different things.    The IP bans to which the OP refers (and about which I think Qie is talking) don't prevent their subjects from entering SL but do seem, under certain circumstances, at least temporarily to prevent people using the same IP address as the banned avatar from entering a particular region.

People now and again post about it here, describing very much what the OP describes.  

I'm quite sure that, some time over the last two or three years, LL have made some quiet server-side adjustments that make it more difficult (though by no means impossible) for people who are region-banned simply to turn up there as an alt five minutes later.

• 2 weeks later...

problem is IP bans are easy to get around these days anyways. with things like VPNs and all.......

i said this many times. if LL would simply require every user to have a payment info . it would serverely cut down on alts and greifing. allow a user to have a certian number of alts tied to that account but if any of them are banned by LL then they all are.  and the payment info can no longer be used. simple as that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3091 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.