New email notifications

Fmeh Tagore

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4435 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

...it?

Fmeh Tagore wrote:

Before, when it would give email notifications, it would show the name of the group as the person who sent it. Now it shows the name of the person who sent it and it only shows that it's from a group in the subject line.  Why did they do this?

Hi, this change was to correct bug SVC-5959 introduced last July.

On group notices mail before the bug, the subject was "Second Life - Group notice: group-name-goes-here" and the body started with "Group Notice From: resident-name-goes-here"

With Server 1.40, LL decided to add the message title. The subject became "Second Life - Group notice: message-title-goes-here" and the body was "Group Notice From: group-name-goes-here". The sender's name was forgotten, that was the bug.

The new format has subject "Second Life - Group notice: message-title-goes-here" and the body starts with "Group Notice From: group-name-goes-here, resident-name-goes-here". It would be easier to parse this if the group and sender were on separate lines, but it is better than nothing. I am not sure that the group name has to be in the body, since it could still be in the email From: line.

Vania Chaplin wrote:

Are you talking about Group notices emails? I've just received one, a few minutes ago.

subject: Group notice: FESTA NA SEXYLIFE

The body starts with: Group Notice From: SexyLife Naturist Resort, [name of the person who sent it]

And than the text of the notice

Yes, the messy part is that the From: header is also changed, so mail filters now have to be changed to match.

Cerise wrote:

Hi, this change was to correct bug
introduced last July.

On group notices mail
before
the bug, the subject was "Second Life - Group notice:
group-name-goes-here
" and the body started with "Group Notice From:
resident-name-goes-here
"

With Server 1.40, LL decided to add the message title. The subject became "Second Life - Group notice:
message-title-goes-here
" and the body was "Group Notice From:
group-name-goes-here
". The sender's name was forgotten, that was the bug.

The new format has subject "Second Life - Group notice:
message-title-goes-here
" and the body starts with "Group Notice From:
group-name-goes-here
resident-name-goes-here
". It would be easier to parse this if the group and sender were on separate lines, but it is better than nothing. I am not sure that the group name has to be in the body, since it could still be in the email From: line.

Sounds to me like the "bugged" one made the most sense. Surely knowing the Group and the Message Title are the most important details, what does it matter which group member sent it, it was obviously one with group abilities to send notices.

Peewee Musytari wrote:

Sounds to me like the "bugged" one made the most sense. Surely knowing the Group and the Message Title are the most important details, what does it matter which group member sent it, it was obviously one with group abilities to send notices.

The trouble was with group notices like "Hi, anybody who comes to the club in the next 15 minutes gets to kiss me!" Is "me" the really e-hawt group officer, or the other one with the steaming garbage bin avatar? Who wants to log in only to find out that it's garbage guy tonight?

Cerise wrote:

Peewee Musytari wrote:

The trouble was with group notices like "Hi, anybody who comes to the club in the next 15 minutes gets to kiss me!" Is "me" the really e-hawt group officer, or the other one with the steaming garbage bin avatar? Who wants to log in only to find out that it's garbage guy tonight?

LOLOL we obviously belong to very different groups :D

Exactly, it's the From: header that I'm wondering why they changed.  I mean, I only have to look at the subject line to see that it's from a group, which isn't really THAT much of a pain, but before I could tell just from the sender if it was from a group or not.  It just seems like a strange change to make.

• 11 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4435 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.