How do I create mist?

0zymandi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3192 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Thanks for answering my previous questions,

I am including this video to illustrate a point as a follow up to my last question which Rolig Loon replied to by stating;

"Alwin is right that the "mist" in that photo was almost certainly Photoshopped after the photo was taken.  However, you'll find plenty of areas in SL where there is fog or mist or smoke.  All are particle effects.  You can buy or create particle generators quite easily.  Just start looking on Marketplace or, better yet, visit the Particle Laboratory on the Teal region in SL.  Most of us who do any creative work with particles started learning there."

The only photoshop work that was done on this photo was to boost contrast and add text. The mist was part of the sim which is what motivated me to try and find out if I could create this effect myself. If you watch the video you will see the sand cloud effect in the opening shot, as well as smoke and rain effects throughout the video. Aside from basic editing there are no special effects employed to enhance the video so everything you see is as it is inworld. If I understand correctly these dust, smoke and mist effects are produced by a particle generator. If this is so does smaller the particles mean a more realistic mist? If so  do you know where I can get one. The Weather HUD I mentioned in my previous question creates "cartoonish" clouds so if you know a specific particle generator that can create the mist from the following image I would appreciate it.

RiverCrossingaa057_001.jpg

5 answers to this question

It takes a fair amount of skill, patience, and imagination.  Use multiple overlapping particle generators with different size particles, rotate them at different rates, and add a wind mask so that the particles drift, or give them a very tiny horizontal acceleration.  That's the way a lot of those atmospheric effects are done.  They're all different.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3192 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.