Windows 10 - it's coming, it's free but is it compatible?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3131 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

jonhnnyroleplay wrote:

Windows 10 will be only available as a one year upgrade in 32 bit versions only and you'll be required to provide a valid product key code for any *pre-installed* Windows version from 98 through trainwreck known as 8-.8.1 operating systems. After the one year period you'll either pay Micro$$$oft for Windows 10, or it will be deactivated.The estimated cost will be $299.99 per computer. Only individuals who build with OEM-builders copies of Windows get a true free upgrade to WIndows 10 (Micro$$$oft'$ great white hope ) Meanwhile, Windows 11 will be released sometime in 2016 codenamed: bumleg,which is still in development. Rumors abound about Windows 11, one being it will be the first true 128 bit operating system, so if it is true you can kiss ALL your current hardware goodbye. Changes are coming my friends...as you can see already :matte-motes-nerdy:

bsflag2.gif    :matte-motes-yawn:    :matte-motes-asleep:

People are talking out their asses here.  The problem is still that Second Life never fixes anything, and with Windows 10  that won't change.  I test Win 10, and I cannot log into any browser.  That's  because the Linden techs are drinking beer and talking on their cell phones and not working. 

Kelley Foxclaw wrote: That's  because the Linden techs are drinking beer and talking on their cell phones and not working. 

Be fair, it IS the weekend.

Joe

/Although I am sure a Linden moderator is at his/her desk

//fuming silently at being given punishment duty

///and waiting to pounce on someone for saying "Yes!" in a mean fashion.

JoeKingleigh wrote:

Kelley Foxclaw wrote: That's  because the Linden techs are drinking beer and talking on their cell phones and not working. 

Be fair, it IS the weekend.

Joe

/Although I am sure a Linden moderator is at his/her desk

//fuming silently at being given punishment duty

///and waiting to pounce on someone for saying "Yes!" in a mean fashion.

VicTim Linden: u wants me to make a legacy viewer 3.8.o.m.g. for them what are still running Windows 95 ?!?? this weekend

Oz Linden: YES !

VicTim Linden: srsly ???!????!!!!!

Oz Linden: yuussss!!

VicTim Linden: nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!

Oz Linden: hehe !! see u Monday ok

(:

• 1 month later...

My daughter had Windows 8.1 and Second Life worked fine, but she also likes Sims, which didn't work (it did with Windows 7). Now she upgraded to Wdws 10 and can play Sims but not SL. I am still researching, but haven't found an answer as what to do besides rollback, which she won't do because she wants Sims.

Thanks for the info, HellKnigh and Ndaynjrd! I was just about to install Win 10 when I thought I'd take a look here first. Guess I'll wait then. :)

As for why Windows 10 is free, I suspect the reason is simply MS figures they'll save a lot of money by getting as many users as possible over to the same OS version rather than having to support a myriad of old versions for ages to come.

I really hope they do it better than Apple though. That was the most expensive freebie I've ever got. (Had to replace my PowerBook since the old one simply wouldn't run on Mavericks no matter what they promised and there was no rollback option.)

ChinRey wrote:

As for why Windows 10 is free, I suspect the reason is simply MS figures they'll save a lot of money by getting as many users as possible over to the same OS version rather than having to support a myriad of old versions for ages to come.

That...

And the fact that MS disabled all privacy settings by default. Many people won't change those settings so MS can gather anything they want, then use that information pretty much any way they like. Let's call it "the Google way".

• 2 weeks later...

Since I installed Windows 10 Second Life has not worked.  Everything I do happens in 4.  If I talk in world or chat it broadcasts 4 times.  If I try to purchase anything I purchase 4 of them.  If I build anything it builds 4 of them.  With breedables it creates one and makes one a non working copy OR just makes the original worthless and not working.  I filed a ticket but but they have had me going the the newbie steps and I have been in game over 10 years.  I tried those before I ever contacted them.  When I told them that they just stopped replying.  It has been 3 days since I heard from them and over a week since I can basically do nothing in game. Hope this helps.

Whispers Magic wrote:

Since I installed Windows 10 Second Life has not worked.  Everything I do happens in 4.  If I talk in world or chat it broadcasts 4 times.  If I try to purchase anything I purchase 4 of them.  If I build anything it builds 4 of them.  With breedables it creates one and makes one a non working copy OR just makes the original worthless and not working.  I filed a ticket but but they have had me going the the newbie steps and I have been in game over 10 years.  I tried those before I ever contacted them.  When I told them that they just stopped replying.  It has been 3 days since I heard from them and over a week since I can basically do nothing in game. Hope this helps.

Change the "repeat speed" setting on your mouse click.

Alec - obvious answers

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

I have been away from Second Life long enough for the viewer version I had installed on my laptop not to work. I recently upgraded to Windows 10. When I try to download the current version of SL Viewer, it says it is compatible with Vista, 7, and 8. Is anyone out there actually using SL with Win10? Do you have any suggestions to get me back in world?

Nina Liakos/NinaZaytsev

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3131 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.