Windows 10 - it's coming, it's free but is it compatible?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3094 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

I currently have Windows 7 on my PC and 8 on my lappy. Windows has an offer atm to book in for a free upgrade to windows 10. Does anyone know if Win10 will be compatible with SL and SL viewers? I am concerned about being an early-adopter in case there are problems, but a free windows upgrade is very tempting. Windows does state they'll enable a roll-back so if the upgrade is an issue I can go back to my earlier version. 

Any advice would be appreciated.

I don't particularly care for the way MS slipped the "Get Windows 10" nagware onto my computer. I removed it when I realized it had been done through an update.  

While free now for many users, going forward, Windows will lose the number moniker and will be called simply "Windows". It will also very likely turn into a subscription service. So, not so very much like Apple, assuming Apple doesn't have a very well hidden agenda to do the same.

The incentive to upgrade, from what I have read in this Forbes article, seems to be that, at some future point, MS will cease security updates for previous Windows versions.

Ivanova Shostakovich wrote:

I don't particularly care for the way MS slipped the "Get Windows 10" nagware onto my computer. I removed it when I realized it had been done through an update.  

While free now for many users, going forward, Windows will lose the number moniker and will be called simply "Windows".
It will also very likely turn into a subscription service. So, not so very much like Apple, assuming Apple doesn't have a very well hidden agenda to do the same.

The incentive to upgrade, from what I have read in
, seems to be that, at some future point, MS will cease security updates for previous Windows versions.

Microsoft makes their money from software/services, mostly to businesses. Apple has a comparatively low dependency on the business market and sells big-ticket hardware so they can afford not to charge for their proprietary software. Microsoft may well make Windows a subscription service for businesses but probably not home users.

At the moment there is no reason to doubt that viewers will still run. You will know it when you try it and of course you need drivers for your hardware.

I've read the informations carefully and it says that win10 is free for the device you upgraded on. So if I get a new computer that is a new device. I take it that I have to buy a new license everytime I get a new computer. Nothing is free here the payment is only postponed.

It will not be possible to choose what updates you install. MS seems to go for a subscription model, maybe in 2-3 years and therefore will force everyone into that model. Refusing that is no option since a system that gets no more updates is worthless.

The nagging software - that I removed already a few weeks ago - shows something. In the future you will not be able to refuse such updates. So you probably have to live with nagging software. The advertisement spots could also be rented out.

All this is not official but MS got asked and they decided not to answer. That shows that they want to keep all options open.

It's as simple as always: nothing is for free.

Win 10 will probably make me switch my #1 (Windows) and my #2 (Linux) computers since I can easily do 90% of my stuff on Linux and I will surely wait a while and get many more infos before I decide if I upgrade to Win10.

Carmsie Melodie wrote: Windows does state they'll enable a roll-back

WHy would they need to do this if they were confident that it would work? That's like buying a car because the salesman says they'll pay your medical bills if you are in an accident because the steering doesn't work.

Carmsie Melodie wrote: a free upgrade

I have never had anything free that was worth what I paid for it.

Teri

((I hate every software maker except Google.))

MissTeriMahn wrote:

Carmsie Melodie wrote: Windows does state they'll enable a roll-back

WHy would they need to do this if they were confident that it would work? That's like buying a car because the salesman says they'll pay your medical bills if you are in an accident because the steering doesn't work.

Carmsie Melodie wrote: a free upgrade

I have never had anything free that was worth what I paid for it.

Teri

((I hate every software maker except Google.))

To answer your question, Microsoft is releasing the Windows 10 [The number will probably be dropped or not incremented after this release] free to make up for the disaster that Windows 8 was. On the operational side, Windows 8's underlying architecture was brilliantly implemented and executed except, and there is always an exception, they still left out a bunch of long needed features and burdened the user with a horrible user interface.

Microsoft as well as all the major software manufacturers are headed towards the subscription model for their products. Windows 10 will be a huge step in securing the OS platform that Microsoft will be coding to [as well as 1000's of other developers] for the next 20 years.

KarenMichelle Lane wrote: Windows 10 will be a huge step in securing the OS platform that Microsoft will be coding to [as well as 1000's of other developers] for the next 20 years before they get it to work properly.

FIFY!

Teri

((If only Microsoft could fix it so easily!))

Ivanova Shostakovich wrote:

While free now for many users, going forward, Windows will lose the number moniker and will be called simply "Windows". It will also very likely turn into a subscription service.

Rafe Needleman [Editorial Director, Yahoo] says:

I had a chance to sit down with Aaron Woodman [senior director of product marketing at Microsoft] to get the skinny on the “Free Windows 10” offer.

Woodman clarified for me that if you upgrade your PC to Windows 10 with the free offer, you won’t be socked with a payment demand after some arbitrary period. Windows 10 isn’t “freemium.” It won’t convert from a free upgrade to a paid or subscription-supported operating system. He told me, clearly, “Once you’re on Windows 10, you’re on Windows 10, and there will be no additional charge.

Whole story:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/microsoft-clarifies-who-gets-free-windows-10-114730456889.html

Coby Foden wrote:“
Once you’re on Windows 10, you’re on Windows 10, and there will be no additional charge.

ANd of course, Microsoft are known globally for keeping their promises.

Teri

((Or maybe it should be “Once you’re on Windows 10, you’re on Windows 10, and there will be no subsequent upgrade path.”))

agree

+

selling a OS by subscription is not a sustainable [retail] business model

selling [retail] services by subscription on top of that OS is

the apps themselves (like media, news, recipes, calendar, travel, health, email, chat, web browser, etc) have no value in themself. Is the service/content the apps provide that is valuable

eta: [retail]

jonhnnyroleplay wrote:

First off Windows 10 will be released to the public 7/29/15 and it is anything but free!
Individuals who bought a name brand pc with windows 7, 8, or 8.1 "pre-installed" will have the opportunity to **try** Windows 10 for one year via download and after that Micro$$$oft will require you to *buy* it.
I can assure nothing is ever really free when Micro$$$oft is the provider of your operating system. As long as you have all the latest drivers (Windows 10) for your pc components there should no issues. Micro$$$oft has admitted by their own sales numbers that WIndows 8-8.1 has been a total flop, so think of WIndows 10 as Micro$$$oft's great white hope. I have used Windows (XP,7 32 & 64 bit), and experienced 8-8.1 and I will choose Linux over them all any day. So, whenever Micro$$$ost uses the word, "free" always think trial version LOL.The bigger question here is will SL ever consistently work correctly???   :matte-motes-nerdy:

OR, you could listen to the people who actually are providing it, who say, "Yes, free! This upgrade offer is for a full version of Windows 10, not a trial. 3GB download required; standard data rates apply. To take advantage of this free offer, you must upgrade to Windows 10 within one year of availability. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device."

jonhnnyroleplay wrote:

First off Windows 10 will be released to the public 7/29/15 and it is anything but free! Individuals who bought a name brand pc with windows 7, 8, or 8.1 "pre-installed" will have the opportunity to **try** Windows 10 for one year via download and after that Micro$$$oft will require you to *buy* it.

Sorry to say, but what you wrote above is total rubbish (except for the release date). :matte-motes-frown:

jonhnnyroleplay wrote:

First off Windows 10 will be released to the public 7/29/15 and it is anything but free! Individuals who bought a name brand pc with windows 7, 8, or 8.1 "pre-installed" will have the opportunity to **try** Windows 10 for one year via download and after that Micro$$$oft will require you to *buy* it. ...

Please tell us where you got this information other than inside your head.  Provide a link please or cite a reference we can look up to verify this.

You are confusing the fact that the upgrade is available for free for one year to owners of Windows 7.1, 8 and 8.1.  Microsoft states that you will get the full version of Windows 10,  not a trial and once you upgrade the software is yours.

If you don't upgrade by July 2016. you will have to pay for it if you want the upgrade.

Here is the source of the information.

Reading comprehension is essential.

jonhnnyroleplay wrote:

Windows 10 will be only available as a one year upgrade in 32 bit versions only and you'll be required to provide a valid product key code for any *pre-installed* Windows version from 98 through trainwreck known as 8-.8.1 operating systems. After the one year period you'll either pay Micro$$$oft for Windows 10, or it will be deactivated.The estimated cost will be $299.99 per computer. Only individuals who build with OEM-builders copies of Windows get a true free upgrade to WIndows 10 (Micro$$$oft'$ great white hope )
Meanwhile, Windows 11 will be released sometime in 2016 codenamed: bumleg
,which is still in development. Rumors abound about Windows 11, one being it will be the first true 128 bit operating system, so if it is true you can kiss ALL your current hardware goodbye. Changes are coming my friends...as you can see already :matte-motes-nerdy:

Are you sure it isn't codenamed "lithium"?

jonhnnyroleplay wrote:

Windows 10 will be only available as a one year upgrade in 32 bit versions only and you'll be required to provide a valid product key code for any *pre-installed* Windows version from 98 through trainwreck known as 8-.8.1 operating systems. After the one year period you'll either pay Micro$$$oft for Windows 10, or it will be deactivated.The estimated cost will be $299.99 per computer. Only individuals who build with OEM-builders copies of Windows get a true free upgrade to WIndows 10 (Micro$$$oft'$ great white hope ) Meanwhile, Windows 11 will be released sometime in 2016 codenamed: bumleg,which is still in development. Rumors abound about Windows 11, one being it will be the first true 128 bit operating system, so if it is true you can kiss ALL your current hardware goodbye. Changes are coming my friends...as you can see already :matte-motes-nerdy:

Again where did you get this information?  Cite your source. 

Bree Giffen wrote:

Straight from the horse's mouth.

and the small print says...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Windows Offer Details

Yes, free! This upgrade offer is for a full version of Windows 10, not a trial. 3GB download required; standard data rates apply. To take advantage of this free offer, you must upgrade to Windows 10 within one year of availability. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.

Our lawyers made us say this:

Windows 10 Upgrade Offer is valid for qualified Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices, including devices you already own. Some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device and market. The availability of Windows 10 upgrade for Windows Phone 8.1 devices may vary by OEM, mobile operator or carrier. Devices must be connected to the Internet and have Windows Update enabled. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer. To check for compatibility and other important installation information, visit your device manufacturer's website and the Windows 10 Specifications page. Additional requirements may apply over time for updates. Security and features are kept automatically up-to-date which is always enabled.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

So basically the Windows 10 upgrade is forever once you have it kids. Don't plan on transferring it to another PC when you decide to buy one in the future. The upgrade licensing doesn't work that way and hasn't in years. This includes the new motherboard ploy. :P [but [Microsoft Tech Support] the case is still the same] :P

I've been on the fast track beta testing team since the pre-release program started and v10 is actually quite nice. I have it on 2 PCs now [a mini-laptop from HP and  VM Box on my killer PC that I use for SL ] I will add it to a stand alone i5 PC this weekend to test it further with SecondLife. [My mini-HP is charming and has nice graphics but I want to try SL Ultra under Windows 10]

IMHO please make sure to cross check any [weird] claims against the facts before wasting your time responding. It's better to pet your kitten that to poke at a conspiracy monger.

Granted the 32bit version of Windows 10 will have a much smaller base than the 64bit version in light that 32bit capable PCs are declining in numbers due to product age and feature set attrition.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3094 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.