SL is a very lonely place, how do I find friends?

Deep Semaphore

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2818 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

11 answers to this question

Hey, Deep! There's no need to feel lonely in Second Life! SL is a Vast place where if you wander around a lot it gives you the impression of being a Lonely place cause you hardly run into or meet anyone else. There are ways to meet people and not be lonely. There are groups. There are music clubs. There are churches. There are universities. There are hunts! Think of something you want to do, go do it and you will bump into others that are doing that too! SL is a vast place full of people that are way cool and fun and interesting and not wanting to be lonely either.

welcome back to sl \o/ :)

if i was you the first thing i would try would be to go through my friends list and see if any of the people there are still active, and also groups.

oh, we now have a "make friends" section here - http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Make-Friends/bd-p/MakeFriends - sounds like just the thing for you :)

good luck in your search!

• Like 1

I know how you feel. People move on and communities that were once vibrant drift apart.  At the same time, thoiugh, there are always new people moving in and, like you, they are looking for communities that seem welcoming. Find friends the same way you do in RL.  Hang out in places that look interesting, and are probably interesting to other people like you.  Take a look in your in world Search, under the Events tab, for activites that sound interesting.  There are always musical events, classes, exhibits, and celebrations going on somewhere in SL. 

Since you have been in SL for a while, you have an advantage over many newcomers who are struggling to learn how SL works.  You may be able to turn that asset into an opener in conversations, especially as you start to meet people in your explorations.

Well, you might fill out your profile a bit.  For someone who has a rez date in 2006, even if you have been away a bit,  the absence of content may raise some flags when people view it.  What do you enjoy doing?  Listening to music and dancing (or just listening)?  Visting awesome builds?  Building?  Surfing?  Visit places that interest you and you are bound to meet others with like interest.  Find a spot to live and meet your neighbors.  My three closest friends in SL I met three different places (a club, a beach, and Help Island).

As with RL people tend to make friends with people with a common interest, just by doing what you like to do you will find that the same faces show up to do the same thing & you end up makeing friends without even trying.

I have even made friends at Sandboxes because people there all share an interest in building & you inevitabley end up chatting to each other.

I guess the exception would be if you like to be a Hermit, they prolly don`t make many friends lol :D

Welcome back to SL!!

I have to agree , I have put my "past life" behind me and it is very hard making new friends apart from vampires wanting to take my soul no one talks to strangers the way the used to in the early days , I go to clubs etc and send out greetings in local chat and at best you get a hi in return what is wrong with people these days do they all come to sl to wonder around aimlessly or do they have so many friends they don't have room for another ???

I know what you mean..i am lonely in secondlife...been in a total of 7 years and been burned so many times..it is difficult to try to friend someone... But about all this is is sex in SL..clubs..etc..I would just a companion...someone to share day by day..to be with and maybe it might lead to sexual relations..but not the first darn thing...I even tried being  a kid thinking..well this is safe..get adopted and be with a Family....totally wrong...as their are so many kid users that jsut want stuff from Parents..that Parents are wary too of adopting..then i tried being an animal which is difficult role play..but that did not work either...as people jsut ignored me and no one wanted to take me home.....I thought about getting a slave/Pet..but most slaves just want to be bought stuff too or someone who continually abuses them.....as to another question i saw....one likes the personality behind the avatar so i do not question whether really male or female...as what i see in SL and what they bring to their av..is what i like..not if they are 70 years old or 20..married with a dozen kids or single..waht difference does it make? I also do not voice as my computer wont and people act like i am an alien or something...I think it takes the fun out of RP...if you see a beautiful av and imagine her that way then hear a gravely raspy voice..sort of runins things..or see them RL photo, then all one can think of is that and not how they are in SL....so if anyone would like a friend/companion..give me a holler..

Really, finding my homeland sim has given me a great many interesting friends and associates.  As it is a democratic and resident run sim, many of us take a keen interest in the the development of builds and events.   Often I find working in SL for my little homeland community a rewarding experience.    Also, some of us are rather accomplished but never snooty.   In addition our group hales from all over Europe and North America.   We even have one person living in China.   So if you are interested come visit the regions of the Confederation of Democratic Simulators.   For more information check out our website at:  http://portal.slcds.info  or facebook site at:  https://www.facebook.com/SLCDS?ref=hl.  

I know the feeling, i have been on there, just filled out more information on my profile.  Been joining groups, and going to some places but only people were rude to me and said like you got no chance!  Everyone seems to ignore me! Sometimes i try and make a conversation but just get ignored!  So i know the feeling about that! Even in social places, how do you know online they are not artificial intelligence part of the turing test!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2818 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.