New to game and have several questions

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3458 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone. New to Second Life. Before I actually play the game, i just have several questions.

1) is the game as it says? you litterally play a second life? where it works just like IRL?

2) What is there to do?

3) The main reason why I wanted to get this game is because I heard you can change your character to look like anything. What I really want is to be a furry, with multiple tails, with angel wings, and neko eyes and ears. Then i looked at what there is to offer....You have to pay IRL money to get the costumes. I'm a huge money saver and I HATE spending IRL money. So i checked the store, and i realized that all the costumes, and all that goody stuff you have to spend IRL money to get. Can i also get those same costumes In-Game using the game currency, if different from the websites?

4) I have heard there is a furry-only "server" or "room" of some sort where nothing but furries go. Is this true?

5) i've also heard of a room dedicated to "18+ stuff" if you know what I mean. Is this true as well?

6) Is it possible to make your own costumes/animations? Because some of the animations and costumes i've seen through google are through "modding" or "texture editing" or something like that, but is very difficult to do. is that possible? legal?

7) Like a lot of MMORPG games i've played, i can get the website currency through "voting" on InsanityFlyff, or watching videos on Aeria games. Is there a way to get some L$ in this game without spendning real money?

EX:

In InsanityFlyff, Ipoints is like the L$ in this game. You have to pay to get it. But in InsanityFlyff, there are also things called Vpoints, where you "vote" to get 6 Vpoints per 12 hours

In Aeria Games website, you can pay to get the AP, or you can watch videos to get 1-7 AP, or do those nasty surveys to get a high amount.

^ Does Second Life do that? or is it a pay IRL money or you don't get any L$ at all?

fantasywannabe27 wrote:

8) i'm very picky with my games. If it doesn't seem what i like, it's not worth it. 

Please just leave now. You're going to be unhappy, and probably make other people unhappy. You want a much less open-ended experience than Second Life, something more packaged and ready for consumption. Save yourself and everybody else the trouble.

i'm sorry. it's just that i'm a huge furry fan. I've been DYING to find a furry MMORPG, where the only game, Antilia, is still in massive beta, and i SO do not want to wait 50 more days until the event beta download. i was litterally bouncing off my seat wanting this game. that is how much i love furries.....and kemonomimis. i'm a huge fantasy fan and all. My deepest aplogies, sir. yeah i realized i was losing it there a bit. so i deleted that question..... my bad :P

There is a lot you can do without spending a lot of money. If you are going to create you will have to spend some RL money but for the price of a meal at McDonalds or that cup of coffee from Starbucks, you should have plenty.

There are templates available for the SL skins. If you are handy with Photoshop or Gimp you can make your own skins. The rest gets more complicated because you are talking about animations, flexi prims or mesh, etc. Again, you can create it yourself but it wll take time to learn the skills.

To get set up as a furry, you probably are best to spend the money to set up. It will probably cost you in the neighborhood of 2000L..I know that sounds like a lot but the exchange rate for RL cash and SL Lindens, at least last night, was 245 lindens per 1 USD. So 10 USD is about 2500L give or take, depending on the exchange rate.

If you do create, you do have to pay fees to upload what you've made. Textures and animations are 10L each, for instance.

A good skin will be your largest expense...about 1K, give or take. For the tails, find one you like that you can copy then you can make copies and wear more than one. Ears, again, it depends. You can probably find a ready made furry avi that's close to what you want then add the modifications.

SL doesn't have "rooms" per se. It's stepping into a wonderful creative world that's been created by it's residents. THere are furry groups you can join..just do a search. There are also a large number of adult-oriented groups as well where you can chat in the groups chats. Depending on what you are looking for, there are also private sims that have furry stuff. Just do a search for furry. I did for places and got pages of stuff including furry friendly clubs, sandboxes as well stores.

Go and explore. Do be aware that for a decent setup,,,just forgo that McDonald's meal and you'll have the money.  You can get some money in the Linden Realms but not a lot.

dang just from that it seems like a spending heavy game just like in real life...lol. well it's called Second Life after all xD well, i double checked, and realized some filters so i checked up some free ones and they are decent. And the thing is i don't own a credit card :P wait........can VISA gift cards work or something? i think i have $7-20 on that. Linden Relms? what is that? and from what you said, you can't get a lot, as long as i'm getting SOME money daily, i don't care how much, without spending IRL money, i'm down for it. lol. this is why I mod. because with me, i believe you shouldn't have to pay to enterain and make it more enjoyable. but hey. that's how the cookie crumbles. You win some, you lose some. You just gotta figure out how to get creative with your attack

ok i'm good then :3 in my head i'm gonna be a fuuuury~ i'm gonna be a neeeeeko~ fuuurrry neeeeko~ yay yay yay!~

lol you should've seen me. i was searching for the card and i'm like HOW MUCH IS IT HOW MUCH IS IT! checks it up

............. 1.77 =_=

.............. ok howmuchcanigetfor1.77! 347 not bad not bad

fantasywannabe27 wrote:

well you know what they say, Life is just a game, but i'm not playing
:P
lol. but yeah i know the difference between real life and fantasy, along with the whole virtual saftey thing. Have known it for 15 years
:P

I think I know the difference between real life and fantasy. That's not the same as actually knowing.

;-).

fantasywannabe27 wrote:

as long as i'm getting SOME money daily, i don't care how much, without spending IRL money, i'm down for it. lol. this is why I mod. because with me, i believe you shouldn't have to pay to enterain and make it more enjoyable. but hey. that's how the cookie crumbles. You win some, you lose some. You just gotta figure out how to get creative with your attack

Let me just clear up a couple of illusions for you right quick.

1. There are very few ways to get game currency without investing RL money into it - and that's on an at all basis, not the daily one you have in mind.

2. Second Life is user created and user funded so anything you find in world that 'entertains' you and makes your SL 'more enjoyable" is costing someone else. Everything. All of it. Is coming out of someone else's pocket. 

To get to those 18+ places - you really should be 18+ first...

My suggestion would be to enter SL, and go to a venue by the name of 'luskwood' - its a 'G-rated' location, and the oldest furry community in SL. It is one of the oldest communities in SL period.

Once there, join into whatever conversation is current, get to know people, and in time you'll find the other sides of the furry community.

There is also a good review website, slarf.org - reviews of different furry avatars.

While there is debate over the use of the term 'game' for this MMO... it is very much a 'pay-to-win' style environment. Almost every $L in SL was bought by someone using real life money (Linden Realms is the sole means of getting them "free" and its a very slow pace).

While its fine to start around here on freebies, you're going to find yourself eventually wanting to drop some money on the platform, or create things to sell to people who have themselves dropped money onto the platform.

And 'platform' is probably the best term for SL if you want to avoid angering the "iz not a game!!!!" crowd. They get quite irrational when the word 'game' pops up, as if it was a foul-word, as SL is 'srsbsns'...

fantasywannabe27 wrote:

Hello everyone. New to Second Life. Before I actually play the game, i just have several questions.

1) is the game as it says? you litterally play a second life? where it works just like IRL?

2) What is there to do?

3) The main reason why I wanted to get this game is because I heard you can change your character to look like anything. What I really want is to be a furry, with multiple tails, with angel wings, and neko eyes and ears. Then i looked at what there is to offer....You have to pay IRL money to get the costumes. I'm a huge money saver and I HATE spending IRL money. So i checked the store, and i realized that all the costumes, and all that goody stuff you have to spend IRL money to get. Can i also get those same costumes In-Game using the game currency, if different from the websites?

4) I have heard there is a furry-only "server" or "room" of some sort where nothing but furries go. Is this true?

5) i've also heard of a room dedicated to "18+ stuff" if you know what I mean. Is this true as well?

6) Is it possible to make your own costumes/animations? Because some of the animations and costumes i've seen through google are through "modding" or "texture editing" or something like that, but is very difficult to do. is that possible? legal?

7) Like a lot of MMORPG games i've played, i can get the website currency through "voting" on InsanityFlyff, or watching videos on Aeria games. Is there a way to get some L$ in this game without spendning real money?

EX:

In InsanityFlyff, Ipoints is like the L$ in this game. You have to pay to get it. But in InsanityFlyff, there are also things called Vpoints, where you "vote" to get 6 Vpoints per 12 hours

In Aeria Games website, you can pay to get the AP, or you can watch videos to get 1-7 AP, or do those nasty surveys to get a high amount.

^ Does Second Life do that? or is it a pay IRL money or you don't get any L$ at all?

- Second Life is not a game. Its no more a game than going and watching a movie on a friday night. An escape from reality, maybe. But you only have one life. It does mirror a complete life in a lot of ways, just be careful how wrapped up in it you get - and realize and respect that everyone seperates Second Life from the "real world" to varying degrees. Some use it as a game and will not disclose RL even to their closest in-world friends. Others loathe hiding behind their avatars and think of meeting somebody in-world in the same vein as meeting somebody at your local bar or on the street.

- What is not there to do would be more likely to fit in this box. Ha. You can do anything. Think of all you can do offline. Chances are you can probably do it in Second Life. Watch movies, form relationships, create clothing. building, vehicles and a whole host of other things, buy and sell virtual goods, dance, play games within Second Life,  trade stocks (yes there is a stock market), participate in a whole range of events, attend concerts (there are scores of live singers performing in world from their homes), ect. I could go on for hours!

- You can purchase on the web-based Marketplace or in-world using in-world currency or Linden Dollars. The web-based Marketplace lets you purchase with IRL money. You can also purchase SL currency this way. If you do not wish to spend RL money, you may work in-world to earn Lindens. I recommend getting to know the world and visiting various places before attempting to land a job. Like "real life", various skills and varying experience may be required of you.

- While I do not see furries all over the grid like I used to, there is no restriction on where they may go. I am sure there are locations tailored to them that they may flock to, however.

- There are age restrictions on certain content. You will need to put payment info on file or verify your age in some other manner to access many locations. http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Adult_Content_FAQ

- You can create your own content of all types. Perfectly legal if you respect copyright laws and come up with your own stuff.

- There are very few, if any, ways to get free Lindens other than landing a job or trading stocks at a in-world stock exchange (getting a job is way faster and easier).

1) Yes you can live it as a scond life, many do. Have jobs and businesses. there are many RL business that have set up businesses in here. you can get a job, earn $L to pay for all those things you want.

2) there is anything you can imagine to do. but it will take you some months and maybe years to explore all of it. there are also things like setting up you "client" to your liking (thats your veiwer) you do that in prefferances 

3) you dont HAVE to spend RL money, but it will take you longer. you can get $L given to you but you may need a premium account, which means you pay a little per year. THen if you stay away for a while it is highly likely you come back and find a few thousand $L in your account.

4)these "rooms" are regions or clubs. there are furry clubs, but it may take you a while. there is a lot of neat stuff such as scripts and scripted "clothing" you can buy and make if you are computer savvy enough. It will take you quite some time to learn to make you own stuff, so if you want it all at once, you will just have to pay someone else for their stuff. 

5) there are 18+ regions also, you have to enable your client to visit adult regions and you have to BE over 18 as well. but once you are there you can experience even virtual; sex if you want to. but you will need to buy a genital package if you going for realism. the experience is totally up to you and how far you want to go with it

6)yes, you can make you own, but unless you an accompliched graphic desighner, it may take you some time before you can make anything good enough to satisfy you. there are many tutorials that you can view but you will need patience as it will take a long time. so unless you patient, you will have to pay someone else for there stuff while you train yourself.

7) $L you will have to a) pay for by pay pal or c/c or debit vard, b) earn, c) get premium account and be patient and build up a bank account

have fun and i hope you enjopy your experience in SL. but if you are in a rush to have it all now without it costing you, then perhaps you should find yourself a different "game"...good luck

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

Yes, you can use Visa gift cards...

Issues with prepaid and gift cards

A common cause of payment method failure is the use of unsupported card types. At this time, the majority of prepaid cards are not compatible with our system, even if they bear the VISA/AMEX/Mastercard logo. This includes cards purchased at retail stores, rechargeable credit cards, and bank-issued check cards.

Not exactly like RL. It's not like, say the Sims, where you have to make sure your avatar eats, sleeps and goes to work, for instance.  There are a few opportunities to work in SL but they are really limited as most businesss in SL are solo activities and buiness owners don't emply staff. The exception to this is nightclubs, which often employ hosts and DJs. 

2) What is there to do?

Pretty much anything you can think of, really, and most activities are free.  The Events listings and Destinations Guide are good places to start.  Also try putting a keyword in Search - such as "sailing" or "art gallery" or "wild west roleplay" or whatever you fancy.  

You can buy items inworld with game currency (Linden dollars) but you first need to buy those L$ with real money. US$1 will get you about L$250.  However, there are options for getting free furry avatars.  Start off by searching the marketplace for the free avatars by Wingless Emoto. They're old and not brilliant, but they're a good place to start. They are also fully modifyable so you can alter them to be more like what you want.  Also, join the Kinzart Kreations update group. They often have special events where they give away lots of freebies, especially at Christmas.  Grendel's Children is another great place for free furry and animal avatars, again they usually give away a lot of goodies nearer Christmas.

As for clothing and costumes, there's TONS of free stuff. You can search the marketplace (select L$0 as the cost and put "NOT demo" in the search bar). Or you can try midnight mania boards and lucky chairs, which give away free items.  If you find a store you like, join their group - they may periodically give free gifts to their members.

There are LOTS of places where furries go, but as far as I know, there isn't any place where non-furries are banned. Luskwood is the best place to start.  Places in SL are called "sims" or "regions" or "parcels", not "rooms".

Again, there's lots of adult content and a lot that is specifically adult AND furry. In fact there's probably more adult furry places than there are PG furry places.  You need to be 18 or over to access them.

Absolutely possible and if you are a furry it's definitely the best way to get the unique avatar you want. Just about all furry avatars are modifyable because furries LOVE to modify their stuff, there are whole communities dedicated to modding.  Mostly it will involve re-texturing sculpt or mesh parts. You'll need a little skill in something like Photoshop or GIMP to make textures and you'll need L$10 to upload each one.

To make animations you'l need speciallist software and again, some skill in using that software and L$10 each to upload them.

If you get very skilled in making textures, animations or anything else, you might want to consider putting them up for sale to make some more L$.

There is no SAFE way to do this through surveys/voting etc; 99.999% of these schemes are scams or illegal (ie the money they give you comes from stolen credit cards). Other schemes such as Fish Hunt and Gold Hunt are legal but entail you spending more than you'll ever earn back (for instance you have to buy bait for fishing).

However, you can play Linden Realms inworld for free L$, that is safe, legal and run by Linden Labs themselves. It's a basic very simple grind and its a bit tedious and buggy but you can potentially earn about L$50 an hour.

Lewis Luminos wrote:

Not exactly like RL. It's not like, say the Sims, where you have to make sure your avatar eats, sleeps and goes to work, for instance.  There are a few opportunities to work in SL but they are really limited as most businesss in SL are solo activities and buiness owners don't emply staff. The exception to this is nightclubs, which often employ hosts and DJs. 

2) What is there to do?

Pretty much anything you can think of, really, and most activities are free.  The Events listings and Destinations Guide are good places to start.  Also try putting a keyword in Search - such as "sailing" or "art gallery" or "wild west roleplay" or whatever you fancy.  

You can buy items inworld with game currency (Linden dollars) but you first need to buy those L$ with real money. US$1 will get you about L$250.  However, there are options for getting free furry avatars.  Start off by searching the marketplace for the free avatars by Wingless Emoto. They're old and not brilliant, but they're a good place to start. They are also fully modifyable so you can alter them to be more like what you want.  Also, join the Kinzart Kreations update group. They often have special events where they give away lots of freebies, especially at Christmas.  Grendel's Children is another great place for free furry and animal avatars, again they usually give away a lot of goodies nearer Christmas.

As for clothing and costumes, there's TONS of free stuff. You can search the marketplace (select L$0 as the cost and put "NOT demo" in the search bar). Or you can try midnight mania boards and lucky chairs, which give away free items.  If you find a store you like, join their group - they may periodically give free gifts to their members.

There are LOTS of places where furries go, but as far as I know, there isn't any place where non-furries are banned. Luskwood is the best place to start.  Places in SL are called "sims" or "regions" or "parcels", not "rooms".

Again, there's lots of adult content and a lot that is specifically adult AND furry. In fact there's probably more adult furry places than there are PG furry places.  You need to be 18 or over to access them.

Absolutely possible and if you are a furry it's definitely the best way to get the unique avatar you want. Just about all furry avatars are modifyable because furries LOVE to modify their stuff, there are whole communities dedicated to modding.  Mostly it will involve re-texturing sculpt or mesh parts. You'll need a little skill in something like Photoshop or GIMP to make textures and you'll need L$10 to upload each one.

To make animations you'l need speciallist software and again, some skill in using that software and L$10 each to upload them.

If you get very skilled in making textures, animations or anything else, you might want to consider putting them up for sale to make some more L$.

There is no SAFE way to do this through surveys/voting etc; 99.999% of these schemes are scams or illegal (ie the money they give you comes from stolen credit cards). Other schemes such as Fish Hunt and Gold Hunt are legal but entail you spending more than you'll ever earn back (for instance you have to buy bait for fishing).

However, you can play Linden Realms inworld for free L$, that is safe, legal and run by Linden Labs themselves. It's a basic very simple grind and its a bit tedious and buggy but you can potentially earn about L$50 an hour.

thanks! i'm already getting used to this game. got myself a black and red furry wolf with cool wings and 500 L$ from various people at a certain club.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3458 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.