Let's talk about appliers.

Bobbie Faulds

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2788 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Has anyone ever thought that Mesh is a disaster that should be tossed out in the trash.  I have been on SL for 12 years (a different avatar) and I have clothing that goes back that far.  Some of it is even still very good.  Yet with a Mesh body, I cannot wear those clothes I have spent hundreds of US dollars and/or time to acquire.  What is it that makes people try to fix things that DO NOT need fixing. 

I just got a mesh body today and so far I have crashed 4 times (in less than 5 hours online).  It is the mesh body nothing else.  My home is all prim and has no issues. It is also very easy to adjust.  Mesh buildings are not so easy. 

I have been trying to understand mesh clothing but it escapes me.  I went to a store today and was appalled at the style and look of the clothing.  to me it is just a painting on a body. There is no substance to it.  Then you have the appliers based on the body you have.  What is wrong with standardization.  LAQ made great skins but you could wear any clothes with it.  The shape was always more important than the skin.  I found skins that were just as good as LAQ and other retailers.  For those who dont know, LAQ was at one time the best skins on SL. 

Now we have MESH!!! Everyone jump for joy..  NOT ME.  What used to take me seconds to change clothes (using premade outfits) now takes me about 15 minutes or more.  Where is the simplicity in that?  Tell me please how MESH is going to make my life easier when I cannot wear the clothing I have come to enjoy in my years on SL.

Answer me please.

Taliaraven Resident

sighs! I so agree with you in many many ways.. The introduction of mesh has made things way more complicated for the users and the creators!  What used to take me a few hours to make a decent system layer outfit now take several more hours, having to make appliers for all those mesh bodies out there.  And although I gave in and joined the mesh body thing,  I know it is damned near impossible to please everyone.  

Yep what once was simple is now totally complicated taking way more time to create and to get dressed yourself..  And since there are so many more folks selling clothing out there at rock bottom prices it is even harder.  Rolls my eyes,  I try to keep up,  but in truth I do long for the good old days in some ways. 

TaliaRaven wrote:

Has anyone ever thought that Mesh is a disaster that should be tossed out in the trash.  I have been on SL for 12 years (a different avatar) and I have clothing that goes back that far.  Some of it is even still very good.  Yet with a Mesh body, I cannot wear those clothes I have spent hundreds of US dollars and/or time to acquire.  What is it that makes people try to fix things that DO NOT need fixing. 

If you can't see the incredible difference between a mesh body and a system one.. Aside from that. no one forced you to get a mesh body. You could easily have tried all the demos and decided not to get one.

I just got a mesh body today and so far I have crashed 4 times (in less than 5 hours online).  It is the mesh body nothing else.  My home is all prim and has no issues. It is also very easy to adjust.  Mesh buildings are not so easy. 

Hmm, have all of the mesh bodies around SL crashed you as well? Perhaps you need to update your graphics card drivers.. or the card itself.

I have been trying to understand mesh clothing but it escapes me.  I went to a store today and was appalled at the style and look of the clothing.  to me it is just a painting on a body. There is no substance to it.  Then you have the appliers based on the body you have.  What is wrong with standardization.  LAQ made great skins but you could wear any clothes with it.  The shape was always more important than the skin.  I found skins that were just as good as LAQ and other retailers.  For those who dont know, LAQ was at one time the best skins on SL. 

Mesh clothing is not "painting on a body" that is mesh applier clothing, just like the system clothing you seem to love and cherish.

Now we have MESH!!! Everyone jump for joy..  NOT ME.  What used to take me seconds to change clothes (using premade outfits) now takes me about 15 minutes or more.  Where is the simplicity in that?  Tell me please how MESH is going to make my life easier when I cannot wear the clothing I have come to enjoy in my years on SL.

With applier clothing you just nee to put on the applier and click it.. Poof new outfit.  With mesh clothing you can indeed have premade outfits..

Answer me please.

Taliaraven Resident

You say you have been here for 12 years (different avatar) and yet this is the first time you are complaining about something that has been around for years?!?! Sounds like someone had an old av and rage quit or got bored and then came back to newness and got confused.

Welcome back, put on your big girl panties, no one is forcing you to use anything you don't want to.

ETA.. just to point out.. Nice necropost BTW...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay... so.... I've been designing SYSTEM clothes for over a year, and with the implement of MESH, I'm freakin' lost!!!

Where do you actually PUT the appliers?  I don't actually MAKE sculpts or that kind of thing, I mostly just texture the stuff that is already IN the system... I guess you'd say for the "classic" avatar.  I HAVE the Omega Applier KIT, but I have NO idea how to use it, or where to put the appliers, as I don't actully MAKE anything that's mesh.

When I finish an outfit, I pack it in a box, and I put it out for sale.  All the clothing items are IN the box, but they can't be worn by anyone with a mesh body..... only the classic avatars can wear them, and it limits sales greatly because mesh bodies can't wear my outfits.

My question is.... where do I put the Omega Appliers?  Do I just put them IN the box with the outfit, and they just WORK, or do I have to put the applier IN the individual piece of clothing?  This is obviously impossible to do with SYSTEM made clothing.  I don't think I'm stupid, but I just don't understand HOW to get the Omega Appliers to work!  I've been searching all over, and I just can't seem to find HOW to use the appliers..... even with the videos I've seen... they just make it seem even MORE complicated!!!  I've even looked at the "Omega for Dummies"..... how about somebody like ME... I need "Omega for DUMB Dummies"!  Can ANYONE..... PLEASE explain this in dummie speak.. so that I GET IT?

I would REALLY appreciate the help.... THANK YOU.

OK...with the Omega appliers, you need to get the developer kit. Next you'll rez out the appropriate applier for where the clothing item goes. You'll edit it then go to the config script. You'll see a place where you put the UUID of the item. Go to the original texture you uploaded and, on Firestorm you right click and get assed UUID. You take that number and put it in the script on that line. Now rename the applier you just made so it matches the system clothing and take it back into your inventory. If you've done it all inworld, you won't be able to get a UUID and make appliers.

Now you're going to add it. It should now attach as a hud on your screen. You use it like any other applier and choose which layer you want to wear it on. 

You'll need to do this for each item. If you have a top and bottom that go together, you can use the multi hud that has both top and bottom on the same hud. 

Complete step-by-step instructions are here http://slpoweredbyomega.com/instructions/dev-kit-instructions/  I'd also suggest you join the Omega Applier Support group if you haven't already. 

You can put the applier in with system clothing. I make fatpacks, like Sn@tch does, so I make a large hud with the individual huds attached to it. I put the huds in the box and then put the system clothes in a separate box in the main box/folder. 

Good luck

Yes Bobbi outlined it pretty well, if you are only going to make Omega appliers,  there are also kits you can get for Maitreya, Slink, and Belleza (and TMP  but they don't respond to quickly I am still waiting for my kit for almost a year now)  .  You can get most of the above kits by visiting the stores and either getting the kit there or by going to a web page and applying for one.  

I was as lost as you are with appliers,  but once I got the kits and followed the directions on the note cards, I was soon zipping through them.. I now keep my textures for system layer clothes in a special folder so I can get at them fast when making appliers.  The Belleza kit comes with a dummy you can rezz and test the appliers with,  very handy.  

Good Luck!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2788 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.