Gifts to alts-help please

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I sent some gift to my alt using her shortened name and not to her full name she started with plus resident.  Either way she is the only one named that name and it says it delivered all items but nothing is showing up.  Did I do it all wrong even though it recognized and accepted the name on the marketplace? Can I get those items/lindens back if it never arrives in her received.  I wouldn't even bother if it was something small but i sent several thousand lindens worth of gifts to her and now feel like an idiot.  Any help or advice would be so appreciated. Thanks

Next time you should inform yourself, before you waste so much money.

Displaynames are not official or a replacement for anything, because you can change them each week (think of the chaos this would create, if you could use them as a replacement). You can only use your alts original username to send her gifts, because otherwise the system does not know who to send the gifts to.

You've probably given it all to an unkown resident that happened to have the same username as your alt's display name. It cannot be undone, and it's unlikely that Linden Lab will ever enable such a “magic button”, considering just a few of the ramifications.

At most, if you know some of the items were transferrable you can always contact this resident and politely ask her if she could give them back to you, so you can then re-send these to your alt. It will of course depend if she's online anytime soon (many accounts are dormant, dead or otherwise not used anymore), and willing.

I search for her name/names and that is the only one that turns up.  Still being newish to SL I wasn't sure if searching for names like that mattered or not..because as you said, that name may exist.  I know sometimes new people don't show up in searches so I very well may have gifted some new person with awesome mesh avi, slink, clothes and hair galore.  Thank you for responding as well.  I guess I just hoped there was some way that I was not thinking off to retrieve my things.  Lesson learned...next time give the alt cash and let her do her own shopping *smiles* Thanks again

Let me see if I understand this...

Your alts name, we shall pretend. is "Iamanalt Resident"

Lets pretend your display name was "justsomebody"

Did you send it to:

"Iamanalt" ?

or to:

"justsomebody" ?

Sending it to "Iamanalt" should have worked.

As for searching for people, it is possible to remove oneself from search, or to have yourself removed from search by force - such as by getting banned, or by filing to have your account 'deleted'.

However even in those cases you can track it down by going to:

https://my.secondlife.com/serindablue

https://my.secondlife.com/pussycat.catnap

Basically my.secondlife.com/username

- If the account ever existed or is hidden from search, it will say:

"This name is unavailable."

If the account is available, it will say:

"The page you were looking for doesn't exist"

Note that:

https://my.secondlife.com/serindablue.resident

- fails, because that is not your username.

Also:

https://my.secondlife.com/Serinda.Braveheart

- fails, because that is not your username, but your display name.

I second the advice on friending your alt. It makes things a lot easier. I go a step further and have a private group that has me and my alts - but this is because that helps me with managing my SL land.

She sent gifts to her alt from the Marketplace. I have done that hundreds of times. It is annoying that SL don't let me log in with the email I use for SL, and let me manage all my accounts from the homepage here. Like transferring money. Logging into SL to transfer money and then out again is not very practical. Plus, if I can't log into SL. but can browse the MP during spare time and breaks, then I often find things that suit my alts and it's fast and easy to buy for them.

I have done two mistakes on the MP during these years. If I click "buy now", then it is impossible to buy for others, and I didn't pay attention and sent male clothes to myself. Ugh. 

I am interested if there is a solution if it's sent to a name that does not exist in SL. We know how many glitches it's in SL and the MP. If it accepted a non-existing name, then it could affect us who shop for alts... let us say I type one letter wrong.

I did the same thing once Marianne...bought a male outfit I meant for a gift. So I tried it on and it didnt look half bad so I kept it.  

serindablue...might be worth you dropping a notecard to the seller (not the marketplace) of those items

you  never know, they might replace them for your alt

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.