Roads

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3527 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Riddings/95/195/119

At that link a vehicle road goes up an astonishingly steep hill :: on the real world I would not risk my motorcycle on iit.

Recently someone (the Lindens acting as highway maintenance?) have put signs wherever a road crosses a sim border saying which sims the road is leaving and entering.

CaptainJack Grauman wrote:

At that link a vehicle road goes up an astonishingly steep hill :: on the real world I would not risk my motorcycle on iit.

Recently someone (the Lindens acting as highway maintenance?) have put signs wherever a road crosses a sim border saying which sims the road is leaving and entering.

If the road signs are a Linden Lab initiative that would be something they'd give to the Moles to do.

I'll need to check that hill out sometime.

There are also some very fun hills to navigate around the Georgian Vehicle Test Track.

"Recently" in 2008, I think. At least that's the Creation Date for all of them on Route 3 all the way to Tussock. Granted, that's not the rez date, but they were all created and owned by Bloomin Mole, so I'll bet they were all rezzed about the same time, too.

That is a weirdly steep little stretch you found in Riddings, perfect for skateboarding.

How much are the roads used? I rarely see a vehicle on them. In the SL Wiki I found a page about vehicles that said that some vehicles are invisible or phantom :: is that why?

It said that if I am driuving a vehicle and I run into an exclusion barrier or a privacy orb, I am teleported away, but the vehicle disappears.

If I buy an expensive vehicle, and I lose it that way, do I retain the means of rezzing up another such vehicle?

How much are the roads used? I rarely see a vehicle on them. In the SL Wiki I found a page about vehicles that said that some vehicles are invisible or phantom :: is that why?

It said that if I am driuving a vehicle and I run into an exclusion barrier or a privacy orb, I am teleported away, but the vehicle disappears.

If I buy an expensive vehicle, and I lose it that way, do I retain the means of rezzing up another such vehicle?

Most Linden roads do not have rez permissions which means you cannot rez a vehicle there at all.  There are a few rez-zones and in some places you can find land beside the road in which the owner has left rez permission on. But such places aren't common enough to make road use easy or popular.

You are right about what happens if you encounter a secutity orb or ban lines. Same thing often happens when driving across the border between 2 sims.  Often the vehicle will spin away and end up stuck in someone's yard; if they have auto-return on it will eventually find its way back to the Lost and Found folder in your inventory.  But most vehicles are Copy anyway, for this exact reason, so you can rezz up as many as you want.

Wearable vehicles overcome both of these problems but they have the drawback of being slow.

I rarely see a vehicle on them. In the SL Wiki I found a page about vehicles that said that some vehicles are invisible or phantom :: is that why?

Exactly what do "invisible" and "phantom" mean here? Can the user whose avatar is riding in an invisible or phantom vehicle, see his vehicle?

I often see vehicles and aircraft parked on users' private land.

That sounds like the hill where I like to test out my ground vehicles - still gives me the heeby jeebies.

Thing with the roads being empty, or seeming to be, well in tems of actual drivers yes. Always have seemed that way. After all there are a lot of routes over several continents and driving around isn't a big thing (mores the pity even I only get out a few times a month). Unless you arrange to explore with others which can be hilarious :)

I rarely see a vehicle on them. In the SL Wiki I found a page about vehicles that said that some vehicles are invisible or phantom :: is that why?

Hmm. No, invisible and phantom vehicles are extreme oddities, at most.  I'm guessing you're referring to this page. I don't think that's going to much help you understand SL vehicles. Are you particularly interested in automated vehicles, the specific topic of that page? If so, that's a rather different topic than the kind of vehicles you rez and control yourself. It's also a controversial topic.

Vehicles are fun to control if they're well scripted (which is weirdly rare, in my experience, even for very expensive vehicles, and I think the difficulty of controlling most vehicles contributes to how few people are using vehicles at all). Once you find one you enjoy controlling, it's a fun way to ramble around the Mainland, exploring on your own.

More fun are groups that arrange scheduled vehicle outings together. There's one weekly for Bay City residents, for example, that chooses a different kind of vehicle (boat, plane, car, etc.) in advance, and then the group "races" somewhere in the general area of Bay City.

I've been walking the Linden roads for quite a while (hence my name, Walker). I've very seldon seen user driven vehicles and a number of streetcars and other automatic cars. I've even recently come across two gonzos in a "police" car who tried to give me a hard time. There are usually rez zones (mostly at sim borders) where you can rez a vehicle. They have small signs that look like parking signs. I've never lost a vehicle crossing sims (unlike riding the railroads, lost a whole train). It's amazing the things you can see on the roads.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3527 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.