What ruins sl1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

joal Oddenfen wrote:

how many of you dress up as wolfs, is that not odd, so ideas must be only for those that claim to be human, i have been to many role play sims and have seen people be all sorts of things, some sims ban them because they look like wolfs, or are vampires in the wrong sim, ok you disagree but i saw how most of you turned them into personal insults, for a short time it looked like fun but was destroying lucinda bit by bit, but DCS wanted that as they saw her as threat to thier business and was using this forum to promote her system, have you any idea what DCS did to her in world with all your support?

First, you should probably stop lumping an entire group of folks into one bunch, because not everyone that posts, and most definitely not everyone who reads the forums, would fit into that nice little package you seem to believe they fit into.

Personally, I've read every single thread that particular person ever wrote, and, frankly, she(I assume a she, I'm sure I will be corrected if I have that wrong) and not very many of the threads or posts she made were even remotely kind, to anyone. Many of the posts she got in return, however, were not mean spirited at all. Yes some may have been, just like in many other cases, and some of those she got because of her commentary. I don't know what all was "done to her inworld", and I am willing to bet a lot of people here don't either. So, stop assuming everyone here is just plain mean. That sort of attitude seems to be popping up a lot here and it also seems to be coming from people who have absolutely no interest in reading rhe forums to see that what they deem to be mean is not nearly as common as they seem to beleive it is. Of course there are a few exceptions, and Lucinda happens ot be one of them. She dished out far more than she was given. I personally only responded to her maybe a couple of times, tops, because her posts were beyond off the wall, and full of hatred and vitriol. I still read them, though. I actually read nearly all of the posts on the forums, despite not participating in the majority of them. I enjoy reading posts though, partly because it gives me a new perspective on things.  Sometimes, though, people do a very good job of giving terrible first, second, third and so on, impressions. Lucinda happened to fall into that category. Mind you, again, this is coming from someone who was never once mean to her, and rarely posted in a thread with her, but read every word she posted. 

A lot of people here think I'm annoying, because I tend to use more words than most do, and people hate reading a wall of text. Unfortunately, it's in my nature to do so. I gave up trying to post less words to be honest. But I can't fault folks for thinking I'm annoying, avoiding my posts, etc.. it's their opinion, and i respect that. Just as the impression some posters give others, such as in the case of Lucinda. She, you, no one else even, can fault people for having the opinions they do, when the person in question causes the opinions to exist.

TLDR; You can't fault people for having a negative opinion of you, when all you offer up is negativity. Also, not everyone fits in a neat little package, and if you stick around, or bother to read through more of the forums, you might just find that forumites, in general, are pretty nice people. A varied group of folks post here, all kinds of opinions get tossed about, and you'll rarely find anything that the majority agree on...but it's still a pretty cool place.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you suppose the tier for a role play sim is paid?  LL does not give their sims away for free you know.  But oh! the annoyance of having to walk by shops before you get to where you're going, the pain, the agony!  How would you like to see the tier paid, would you want to pay a fee to get in the sim instead?

Tari Landar wrote:

joal Oddenfen wrote:

how many of you dress up as wolfs, is that not odd, so ideas must be only for those that claim to be human, i have been to many role play sims and have seen people be all sorts of things, some sims ban them because they look like wolfs, or are vampires in the wrong sim, ok you disagree but i saw how most of you turned them into personal insults, for a short time it looked like fun but was destroying lucinda bit by bit, but DCS wanted that as they saw her as threat to thier business and was using this forum to promote her system, have you any idea what DCS did to her in world with all your support?

First, you should probably stop lumping an entire group of folks into one bunch, because not everyone that posts, and most definitely not everyone who reads the forums, would fit into that nice little package you seem to believe they fit into.

Personally, I've read every single thread that particular person ever wrote, and, frankly, she(I assume a she, I'm sure I will be corrected if I have that wrong) and not very many of the threads or posts she made were even remotely kind, to anyone. Many of the posts she got in return, however, were not mean spirited at all. Yes some may have been, just like in many other cases, and some of those she got because of her commentary. I don't know what all was "done to her inworld", and I am willing to bet a lot of people here don't either. So, stop assuming everyone here is just plain mean. That sort of attitude seems to be popping up a lot here and it also seems to be coming from people who have absolutely no interest in reading rhe forums to see that what they deem to be mean is not nearly as common as they seem to beleive it is. Of course there are a few exceptions, and Lucinda happens ot be one of them. She dished out far more than she was given. I personally only responded to her maybe a couple of times, tops, because her posts were beyond off the wall, and full of hatred and vitriol. I still read them, though.
I actually read nearly all of the posts on the forums
, despite not participating in the majority of them. I enjoy reading posts though, partly because it gives me a new perspective on things.  Sometimes, though, people do a very good job of giving terrible first, second, third and so on, impressions. Lucinda happened to fall into that category. Mind you, again, this is coming from someone who was never once mean to her, and rarely posted in a thread with her, but read every word she posted. 

A lot of people here think I'm annoying
, because I tend to use more words than most do, and people hate reading a wall of text. Unfortunately, it's in my nature to do so. I gave up trying to post less words to be honest. But I can't fault folks for thinking I'm annoying, avoiding my posts, etc.. it's their opinion, and i respect that. Just as the impression some posters give others, such as in the case of Lucinda. She, you, no one else even, can fault people for having the opinions they do, when the person in question causes the opinions to exist.

TLDR;
You can't fault people for having a negative opinion of you, when all you offer up is negativity. Also, not everyone fits in a neat little package, and if you stick around, or bother to read through more of the forums, you might just find that forumites, in general, are pretty nice people. A varied group of folks post here, all kinds of opinions get tossed about, and you'll rarely find anything that the majority agree on...but it's still a pretty cool place.

First, I agree with eveyrthing you wrote, though I didn't actually read any of it.

Except this...

"I actually read nearly all of the posts on the forums"

Tari, you need to get out more!

and this...

"A lot of people here think I'm annoying"

Thank goodness I'm not the only one!

;-).

well i am looking forward to it and hope it starts a whole interest in role play, as to me sl is a good place to have a massive war and then all have a party and dance after, i would like to see the top 3000 meters become space so we can role play real space battles, i would like to see lots of open and public sea so we can sail for hours never seeing the same thing, things you can do in sl but are stale and to small, like the blake sea, great idea but cant be used by more than one group and when the sailors are having a race the rest of us are almost barred from it, pity the cant put a sea say 1000 meters up, then us role players could fight up there while the sailors sail below, or just have a bigger sea, but what ever they do we will all be noobs again and i think lots of us will enjoy that, well i will, remember what fun it was finding new things, problem with being 7 years old is i have seen every thing and now dont go anywhere, dont log much, never commented here before today and wont after today, i just wanted to let the lindens know we are not all anti SL2 and if they address some of the things that upset us in SL1 then it will be even better.

joal Oddenfen wrote:

well i am looking forward to it and hope it starts a whole interest in role play, as to me sl is a good place to have a massive war and then all have a party and dance after, i would like to see the top 3000 meters become space so we can role play real space battles, i would like to see lots of open and public sea so we can sail for hours never seeing the same thing, things you can do in sl but are stale and to small, like the blake sea, great idea but cant be used by more than one group and when the sailors are having a race the rest of us are almost barred from it, pity the cant put a sea say 1000 meters up, then us role players could fight up there while the sailors sail below, or just have a bigger sea, but what ever they do we will all be noobs again and i think lots of us will enjoy that, well i will, remember what fun it was finding new things,
problem with being 7 years old is i have seen every thing and now dont go anywhere, dont log much,
never commented here before today and wont after today, i just wanted to let the lindens know we are not all anti SL2 and if they address some of the things that upset us in SL1 then it will be even better.

Ah ha! So you suffer the same problem as many of us.  Familiarity breeds contempt!

Ebbe spoke of empowering creators to craft their own experiences. Maybe that'll enable all the things you've mentioned.

well they could lower the tier, many have said that they want to be creator focused and sales focused and not land focused, what if role play sims are free or public and players just rent time on them, then role play sims need not have malls or be owned by any one, the word "unlock" can have so many meanings.

what you saw and have commented on is the detruction of a person that got very angry during that destruction, the competitors in world had every reason to stop her using this forum to promote her system over thiers, pat the company on the back as well as yourself and say a "job well done".

joal Oddenfen wrote:

what you saw and have commented on is the detruction of a person that got very angry during that destruction, the competitors in world had every reason to stop her using this forum to promote her system over thiers, pat the company on the back as well as yourself and say a "job well done".

As Tari said, and as I have observed, she is not mean to anyone. Your comment conflicts with the evidence and is unwarranted.

If you truly believe that LL conspires covertly with residents for nefarious purposes, wouldn't that be the #1 thing that ruins SL for you?

read all the post, you are making an assumption that it was LL, when it was not, i said in a post before that DCS asked all their users and sim owners to ban her, it was in a group message sent out in the DCS users group, seems none of you read that. now as i was a dcs user i saw the post and it as sent out by DIM himself. the then owner of dcs who was at the same time trying to sue her in the US courts or threatening to.

Ps: just for you, dcs could not win by legal means  but found another way, now this is the end of the chat of these things, seems most of you feel guilty.

joal Oddenfen wrote:

As well as myself? Seriously? Did you only read what you wanted to see there? I did absolutely nothing wrong, nor did I ever do anything to destruct another human being, in any way(nor would I ever). In fact, though it's a rarity for me to do this, I'm actually offended by that statement.

I'm pretty sure I'm an expert on the things I've seen, since I have firsthand experience and all, and I've seen far more than you seem to believe I have.

I'd like to believe the rest of your words, thoughts and opinions have merit, so I'm going to pretend this discussion about one single person never even happened, because if I don't, this particular portion of the discussion will indeed negate that belief.

ETA: Ftr, I've never used any combat system, DCS or otherwise, nor would I. I also tend to take people at face value, that is, what they present to me, either inworld, or here on the forums. When I'm mistaken, I say such, and I am never one to say that I am always, or even mostly, right. I'm far more open to being wrong actually. I don't believe anyone should ever be treated the way I have seen some folks treated, but then, I have a hard time feeling bad for people that entice that type of treatment in their own behavior...Still, in this case, I neither participated nor do I condone the behavior on either side of the fence(as if anyone needs my, or anyone's, approval for anything anyway, lol...)

sorry didnt read all of it, my time is short and will have to go soon, i just tried to answer them all and only read the first few lines, maybe i am wrong i just assumed she was the most hated person in the history of sl, nearly every older one in combat knows of her, well most had to ban her, lol.

joal Oddenfen wrote:

read all the post, you are making an assumption that it was LL, when it was not, i said in a post before that DCS asked all their users and sim owners to ban her, it was in a group message sent out in the DCS users group, seems none of you read that. now as i was a dcs user i saw the post and it as sent out by DIM himself. the then owner of dcs who was at the same time trying to sue her in the US courts or threatening to

And previously:

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

joal Oddenfen wrote:

what you saw and have commented on is the detruction of a person that got very angry during that destruction, the competitors in world had every reason to stop her using this forum to promote her system over thiers, pat the
company
on the back as well as yourself and say a "job well done".

As Tari said, and as I have observed, she is not mean to anyone. Your comment conflicts with the evidence and is unwarranted.

If you truly believe that LL conspires covertly with residents for nefarious purposes, wouldn't that be the #1 thing that ruins SL for you?

If I misunderstood "company" to refer to LL, I apologize. It was not clear to me that "the competitors" were a "company", so I thought you were referring to LL. But that's not my primary issue with your statement. You asked Tari to pat herself on the back for a "job well done'. That's an unwarranted accusation that Tari somehow conspired with others for purposes you don't approve of. You have no evidence to support that claim and there is evidence to dispute it.

Now, back to the issue of subterfuge. I imagine a group of people in SL could conspire to AR someone over and over, but it would still require the "victim" to repeatedly violate the Terms of Service or Community Guidelines for LL to act. I'm sure that some people can be manipulated into repeated violating the TOS/CG, but that doesn't absolve those people of their responsibility. LL may be able to recognize such manipulations, I don't know.

ETA:

Ps: just for you, dcs could not win by legal means  but found another way, now this is the end of the chat of these things, seems most of you feel guilty.

I have no idea who DCS is, nor do I care. But I do sense either paranoia, agenda or attitude that tells me we really are at the end of the chat.

it is my understanding that she was never banned by the lindens, in fact harry linden logged as her for a few days and the word was that she was banned from the forum for her own protection, look this was a few years ago, but i know when harry linden was her that the owner of the athens sim(dcs) was banned from sl and lost thier sim.

Ok that is it for the day, i only came here to give support for SL2 and look forward to it, amazed to find so many suffering from guilt, lol, we all get what we deserve, i wont comment again, but i do comment in the daily telegraph were we talk about real issues, i am too long in the tooth to get into any of the convs you have here, but if you want to talk about real world issues then do join us in the daily telegraph, we dont take prisoners and i am one of thier oldest commentors, in fact some post by others are only about what i say, my real life name is john summers and that is the name i post under in the telegraph. so if any of you want a real debate about real things then do join me. goodbye all, i wont see you again well not here.

joal Oddenfen wrote:

if you dont know who DCS is then dont comment and dont make personal remarks, I DO REPORT

I thought I was done with this thread, but there's only so much entitled BS I can put up with in one day. Let's put it on record: I'm really glad that you've not posted here before and don't intend to again.

And this time it is a personal remark. Report and be damned.

joal Oddenfen wrote:

it is my understanding that she was never banned by the lindens, in fact harry linden logged as her for a few days and the word was that she was banned from the forum for her own protection, look this was a few years ago, but i know when harry linden was her that the owner of the athens sim(dcs) was banned from sl and lost thier sim.

/backing slowwwwly out of the thread

All I'm going to commend on is the banning.

I'm all for zero tolerance banning.  as most of how people handle it now are very well within their rights to ban for any reason,  I run several sims as an estate manager,  a few that are in a genre of avatar that get's quite a bit of flack, if the banning was taken away from us,  their would be no point in keeping our presense in SL.  as it stands we are over 7,000 USD monthly paying for things.  LL is not going to be stupid and take away our ability to handle our sims and keep the undesirables (trolls) out.  

SO how it works now,  it's fine, it should move to SL2.   LL's side they handle SL bans, those can stay and need improved upon.  resident level banning of private sims.  nope sorry. we got that under control.

Six Igaly wrote:

Yes it will only mute a sound. And well Firestorm, it does not run as well on my iMac as V3 does, and even V3 for Mac is way worse* then the Windows one..so I'm told..

*EDIT

It is getting better with each viewer update though!

I'm also on an iMac. Firestorm runs about as well as V3 and I believe all Mac viewers run worse than their Windows variants. That's the price we pay for joining the cult.

;-).

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

That's the price we pay for joining the cult.

LOL

Well till some versions back (Firestorm) I could not set Advanced Lightning without crashing. That has improved now for sure. I use FS sometimes especially for taking pictures most of the time, because of all the settings available. And yet somehow I just can't get the feel with SL as I have with V3..weird maybe..but for me a fact :-).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.