Bots. I have a question or two or...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3582 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was blessed to be given a little piece of land, in a private parcel, to build on and live.

I installed a security orb to keep possible griefers and trespassers away. I do like my privacy.

In the last month or two, those who have wandered in to my area and are not on the access list are have been quietly returned home. For each one my orb reports, I check their profiles. I'm finding a number of bots that are being booted.

My questions:
Are bots required to be so identified as such by LL TOS? None of these profiles indicate them being bots. The way I see them as such is their profile feed and some who took the time to indicated it were downright to the point.

What is the purpose of a wandering bot? I understand that any bot on a sim can not be used to boost visit numbers and thus, must be ID'ed as a bot. These I have seen and understand their purpose.

I'm curious to others thoughts and opinions on the situation.

If this has been covered before, I apologize for the repeat.

FYI, any bots that my orb boots, I place on a ban list. Any innocent traveler who accidently wanders through gets a pass.

Hi....Yes they are supposed to be registered as such when created. After being here on SL 4 times in about 15 years, this hasn't changed. I'm not saying that all of them are not being registered as such, but I think a small percentage of them are created and not registered.

Anyway, that's my two Federation credits.......hopefully I didn't offend anyone.....

Bots, or as LL calls them, scripted agents, are required to be registered as such, but they are not required to inform users that they are bots. We have no way of knowing whether or not an avatar is a bot. Some owners do use their bots' profiles to inform us but that is entirely by choice.

If that's the case, I would hope that LL would place something on the bots profile informing all their purpose. I can see a legit reason there; grid upkeep and maintenance.

But to be honest, some of these profile feeds I have read from these bots don't place them in a very good light at all.

I place these bots on the same level as alts from those who just come to SL to start trouble. Get booted?, no problem.

Just make another...and another...and another...ad nauseum.

Just like RL, morons exist everywhere.

Arielle6768 wrote:

Hi....Yes they are supposed to be registered as such when created. After being here on SL 4 times in about 15 years, this hasn't changed. I'm not saying that all of them are not being registered as such, but I think a small percentage of them are created and
not
registered.

Anyway, that's my two Federation credits.......hopefully I didn't offend anyone.....

I think my last partner was a bot.

They are supposed to be registered so that they can be eliminated from traffic calculations. Sticking a box full of registered bots in your parcel won't affect traffic and sticking unregistered ones in is against the TOS.

But a registered bot has no indication on the profile that its a bot and no link to the owner's account or business, unless the owner chooses to declare it.

Wandering bots may be doing grid surveys (like Tyche's land survey), or they may be looking for cheap land for sale.

I was referring to the bot profiles I have been able to read, posts from others who have booted these intruders from their respective land. I indicated if a bot has a purpose for maintenance and grid upkeep, fine. I would hope the creator would indicate this in the bots profile. Sadly, the ones I have banned from my land have no such disclaimer.

One great example writes in their about section...

Arlets Queenstown

..HI..Me..I Love deeply, heart and soul! *~♥~*

I am friendly, I am an openminded person, I dont judge nooone.
I am me......wholeheartedly! *~♥~*
Im single.......*~♥~*
IM me with sweetness and sweetness is wut u shall receive! *~♥~*
----------------------------------------------------------------------------Age verified by linden lab

Second Life Birthdate

September 18, 2010

Real World Biography

The beauty of life is, while we cannot undo what is done,
we can see it, understand it, learn from it and change.
So that every new moment is spent not in regret, guilt, fear or anger, but in wisdom, understanding, Honesty, faith, and love.

If you get a chance to check their feed, you'll see where I am coming from.

My post is not a blanket indictment of all bots. Never was meant to be nor was it inferred.

So chill.

Hmm with a profile like that I wonder if they are beggar bots. You may have met avatars that pretend to be real, they strike up a scripted conversation with you (ignoring everything you say) and finish of with "Can you lend me L$50?"  Those bots are almost certainly not registered (but you can AR them for harassment if they are soliciting L$ from you).

Registered bots are not required to inform anyone of that fact other than SL.

Resident Paranoia declares a LOT of people to be bots that... aren't.

Some bots fly under the radar of the policy because nothing is ever perfect.

An annoying number of people don't use the feeds or even their profile as much as some of us would like. And like it or not, that's their choice. It doesn't make them bots. They might not even know people are calling them bots if they don't even have themselves set up to read their own feed.

A lot of "other people" are crazy freaks who don't act in the SL the way that us sane people believe they should. Just because they're weirdos who do odd stuff that we cannot explain doesn't make them bots. :D

Jerilynn Lemon wrote:

I was blessed to be given a little piece of land, in a private parcel, to build on and live.

I installed a security orb to keep possible griefers and trespassers away. I do like my privacy.

In the last month or two, those who have wandered in to my area and are not on the access list are have been quietly returned home. For each one my orb reports, I check their profiles. I'm finding a number of bots that are being booted.

My questions:

Are bots required to be so identified as such by LL TOS? None of these profiles indicate them being bots. The way I see them as such is their profile feed and some who took the time to indicated it were downright to the point.

What is the purpose of a wandering bot? I understand that any bot on a sim can not be used to boost visit numbers and thus, must be ID'ed as a bot. These I have seen and understand their purpose.

I'm curious to others thoughts and opinions on the situation.

If this has been covered before, I apologize for the repeat.

FYI, any bots that my orb boots, I place on a ban list. Any innocent traveler who accidently wanders through gets a pass.

The SL word "bot" has become the equivalent of the RL word "Fascist", in that it's a term that has an actual definition that describes a specific thing but has over time been used to describe anyone that the person doesn't like. The account in your profile may be doing antisocial and annoying things, possibly through the use of scripts, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily a true "bot" which is an account run by a special application that isn't a conventional viewer and which are the only accounts that are supposed to be registered AS "bots."

I know you were refering to the profiles. LL doesn't include anything about a bot being registered as a bot in its profile, and there is no compulsion on bot owners to declare it either. What bot owners put in their bots' profiles is entirely up to them. If they want them to appear as manned avatars, it's entirely their choice. Your use of the word 'morons' was misplaced and it's best to keep such judgements to yourself until you come across some actual moronic practises.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3582 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.