Go Team USA!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3641 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yeah man, such in intense game (like most of these Round of 16 finals). I thought, dude, hopefully the americans watch that and finaly get the idea of what drama soccer can be. I wouldn't even consider myself a soccer fan, I mostly watch when these tournaments are going on, but that was another game where I could have bit my nails.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to doubt that game, or anything to do with the World Cup will make much of a dent in the USA's indifference to soccer (or football as most of the rest of the world calls it). Yes there was tremendous excitement and a lot of folks here watched but I suspect the interest will wane pretty quickly. There is just too much competition from the other long established sports: baseball, basketball, and by far the number one: American football. Even hockey, a sport that's been played here for decades, is a very distant fourth.

That being said, interest in International style football does exist here and the audience will probably continue to grow. One of the cable tv sports packages has Premier League games, for instance. I just don't see it becoming something of major interest anytime soon. If a USA team makes it into a big-time competition we'll pay attention, but the rest of the time most of us will probably not know what's going on.

I am not worried nor do I feel left out but I thank you so very much for your concerns that is very much appreciated :-)

Did you notice I placed leak between qoutes as such: "leak".

I'm awared this was a planned slip of the tongue or "official" announcement if you will.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I tend to doubt that game, or anything to do with the World Cup will make much of a dent in the USA's indifference to soccer (or football as most of the rest of the world calls it). Yes there was tremendous excitement and a lot of folks here watched but I suspect the interest will wane pretty quickly. There is just too much competition from the other long established sports: baseball, basketball, and by far the number one: American football. Even hockey, a sport that's been played here for decades, is a very distant fourth.

That being said, interest in International style football does exist here and the audience will probably continue to grow. One of the cable tv sports packages has Premier League games, for instance. I just don't see it becoming something of major interest anytime soon.
If a USA team makes it into a big-time competition we'll pay attention, but the rest of the time most of us will probably not know what's going on.

Isn't the World Cup a big-time enough competition for you over there? ;) Football competitions don't come any bigger than the World Cup. Any neither do competitions of any single sport in the world. The World Cup is the biggest there is.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

That being said, interest in International style football does exist here and the audience will probably continue to grow. One of the cable tv sports packages has Premier League games, for instance. I just don't see it becoming something of major interest anytime soon.
If a USA team makes it into a big-time competition we'll pay attention, but the rest of the time most of us will probably not know what's going on.

Isn't the World Cup a big-time enough competition for you over there?
;)
Football competitions don't come any bigger than the World Cup. Any neither do competitions of any single sport in the world. The World Cup is the biggest there is.

Oh, I know that. And yes, for many of us over here having the US in World Cup was a very big deal. I just think that once that excitement wears off there will be far fewer of us paying any attention to the sport. Until the next time the USA makes it into an important international tournament.

That happens in the U.S. Even holding the World Cup there didn't inspire the nation to continue with football. If football ever get a major grip in the U.S. it will be very very slowly achieved. We people like what we grew up with and it's very hard to change a nation's mind about it. And there's no need to. I have an attitude about things like that. If people want it, that's good. If they don't want it, that's also good. I never see any pseudo-moral reason to get people who don't participate in a particular game to do so.

People in different games/sports do their best to promote them around the world, but I think differently. Show it to them. Televise an event perhaps. Let them have a go at it. Those who like it will take to it. Those who don't won't. I see no reason for persuasion.

My theorie why the US does not adapt to football:

1. To many other sports getting hyped.

2. Events like the world cup can't be split into many different tiny pieces to throw advertisement inbetween. I have been to the US once and was confused about the amount of commerical breaks each movie or show had. Because of that the TV stations in the US aren't too motivated to spend more screentime on it, when they have other sports.

3. The US doesn't dominate this sport.

Syo Emerald wrote:

2. Events like the world cup can't be split into many different tiny pieces to throw advertisement inbetween. I have been to the US once and was confused about the amount of commerical breaks each movie or show had. Because of that the TV stations in the US aren't too motivated to spend more screentime on it, when they have other sports.

Right on all three, in my opinion. Not quite as much on #2, since there's no problem dropping in commercials anytime during a football match, given that absolutely nothing is happening most of the time.:smileywink:

Syo Emerald wrote:

I agree with 1 and 2. There's no need for the U.S. to get big into football. We all prefer what we prefer and U.S. people prefer the games they grow up with, as we all do.

I'm not sure about 3. The U.S. doesn't dominate in its major sports because dominating means being the best over others. The major games in the U.S. (baseball and american football) are almost exclusive to the U.S. so there is almost nobody to dominate. It would be like Autralia claiming to dominate the world in Australian Rules Football, but Autralia is the only country that plays it.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Right on all three, in my opinion. Not quite as much on #2, since there's no problem dropping in commercials anytime during a football match, given that absolutely nothing is happening most of the time.:smileywink:

Perish the thought that ads could be slipped in anywhere during a game of football (or rugby) other than during half time. That would really be obnoxious. TV companies would never get away with it, especially as there are 15 minutes at half time to put some in.

Did anyone watch the Brazil vs Germany semi-final last night? It was truly astonishing. In case anyone missed it, the result was 7 - 1 to Germany!

There was a 6 minute spell in the first half when Germany scored 4 - yes 4 - goals. Four goals in 6 minutes in a World Cup semi-final - against Brazil!

Germany was 5-0 up in less than half an hour. In the second half, they increased it to 7-0 and, late in the game, Brazil got a consolation goal - except that there was no consolation at all for them.

My prefered winners lost that game but I'm hoping for better luck in tonight's other semi-final - Holland vs Argentina. I'm supporting Holland.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Did anyone watch the Brazil vs Germany semi-final last night? It was truly astonishing. In case anyone missed it, the result was 7 - 1 to Germany!

There was a 6 minute spell in the first half when Germany scored 4 - yes 4 - goals. Four goals in 6 minutes in a World Cup semi-final - against Brazil!

Germany was 5-0 up in less than half an hour. In the second half, they increased it to 7-0 and, late in the game, Brazil got a consolation goal - except that there was no consolation at all for them.

My prefered winners lost that game but I'm hoping for better luck in tonight's other semi-final - Holland vs Argentina. I'm supporting Holland.

I was expecting Brazil to be fragile without Silva but it was hard to believe what was happening. Twenty-five minutes in I had to remind myself I was watching a live match, not the highlights. 

Tonight will set us up for a replay of the 1974 or 1990 final, depending on a Netherlands or Argentina victory. Athough technically neutral, I'm English so rooting for either Germany or Argentina is out of the question. Holland have been my 'back-up' team since the start of the tournament, so I'll definitely be following them tonight and hopefully at the weekend. 

Argentina have looked distinctly lacklustre when anyone but Messi has the ball. Holland were less than sparkling during their most recent two games. Here's hoping for a return to both teams' group-stage promise, and a Dutch victory. Historically they've been the best team never to lift the trophy despite being in three finals.

We think alike, Kelli. I wanted Brazil to win last night, and I want Holland to win tonight. Last night it was because I wanted Germany to lose, and tonight it's because I actually want Holland to win.

Yes, Argentina have looked lack lustre, but so have all the teams. No team has shone. Germany only did what they did last night because the Brazil defense was really bad. Just a decent defense would have prevented that 6 minues of slaughter.

Phil Deakins wrote:

I did watch and I couldn't believe my eyes what was happening! Truly very sad and heart breaking thing for the Brazilian players and the fans. What a pity. :smileysad:

Brazil-fan.jpg

Coby Foden wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

I did watch and I couldn't believe my eyes what was happening! Truly very sad and heart breaking thing for the Brazilian players and the fans. What a pity. :smileysad:

Brazil-fan.jpg

I saw that guy on TV. He was in the crowd.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Perish the thought that ads could be slipped in anywhere during a game of football (or rugby) other than during half time. That would really be obnoxious. TV companies would never get away with it, especially as there are 15 minutes at half time to put some in.

That was intended as a joke (albeit a bit snarky). As for commericals during games here, it's positively ridiculous. It's bad enough when you're watching on television but at least there you can mute the commercial and go get another lemonade or something. The poor people actually at the game have to just sit there listening to the much too loud piped music while everyone down on the field stands around waiting for play to resume.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Brazil-fan.jpg

I saw that guy on TV. He was in the crowd.

Yes. He was not only in the Brazil - Germany match as a spectator but also in some other matches. Sure enough the TV camera spotted him in those matches too. Every time he had that trophy in his hands. Devoted fan he is. Endearing. :heart:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

That was intended as a joke (albeit a bit snarky). As for commericals during games here, it's positively ridiculous. It's bad enough when you're watching on television but at least there you can mute the commercial and go get another lemonade or something.
The poor people actually at the game have to just sit there listening to the much too loud piped music while everyone down on the field stands around waiting for play to resume.

They do that over there? Live games are held up while TV commercials run? WOW!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3641 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.