Things I really would love to have at 2nd Life

StilettoSara

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3676 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I been here now a lil over 1 ½ year at 2nd Life, since I gave up on IMVU after over 5 years.

I must say that 2nd Life (as soon you get how it works) is almost 99 % better than IMVU :) Still I miss some features, simple, but helping features.

What then?

Well to be honest it's not much...but the following ideas are so super to have and make life a lot easier for us.

1. Ok this is starting to get better. The MESH thing. Should be as easy that the outfit steer what body type we get, wearing the outfit... not the other way around, leading to that our bodies can't wear the outfits.

As it is now it's a pain in the ass to have like 5-6-7 appliers out there. You need to save your outfit with appliers on, because else you will be so deadly lost if you suddenly need to find em fast because last worn outfit with same **bleep** was with a complete other top. The appliers are gold worth to have out from start as you load a saved outfitas. They are easy to remove after you loaded your outfit, to clear a lil space on your screen, but for gawds sake don't save now if u add anything. Then you better reload the outfit again and then add your new item and first after that remove the appliers.

2. HEADS...Hmmm, heads here are still a joke! I mean, at IMVU we add a head/DONE. We can add lipsticks, lashes etc to it as we like. Here we need tons of alpha layers and then huds (lashes, eyes, lips etc) for this and that, that are needed. Skin adds, slink feet/hands, special lola appliers n phat azz appliers. Comon!

* I mean a mesh head at IMVU, you simply add, then it's DONE. After that you can add make up's to it etc. And yes, the heads at IMVU adopt the skin/tone that we are wearing. So no need for 400 extra buys. I mean at IMVU I own like 300 heads. I would never have done that if I had to set all of my body different for each new head I buy? Not logical?

3. At Market Place we should have a little warning, telling us if we already own the item. As for now we can and must be able to buy more than one item of each type of earrings etc. when all our shapes are so different in size. But sometimes it's hard to remember all outfits or heels etc we have bought already and not been able to save yet. And to copy the name of the item and paste into the search inside our inventory, for each thing we are not sure about owning already, is so time consuming really.

*  When we add items to our cart via the Market Place. We at times having a lil hell getting the items to shown as added. After 4-5 tries at times they might be accepted as added and then as we go to the cart, we have to remove all doublets and set to 1 only. Even if we do so and tripple check it sometimes still make us buy more than 1 item of the same? So annoying!

4. Wish Lists. You add items you want/wish for,  to a list that people can see and buy for you. It is so smooth and by that people that gift you, also will know exactly what you still miss. No need for buys leading to that the person getting gifted already owned items.

5. More accurate hugs. Should just be in one way :) Well different lenghts and so, is one problem but hugs emselves should be by facing eachother. Not that one person facing one way and the other totally off from that direction? "Without having to spin around for 5 minutes each time making it look good"

Hugs/Sara

This would be great if SL was built like imvu - where everyone is a single size barbie doll with Bratz doll style pop off parts.

On this account alone, I have a tiny cat avatar, a large dog avatar, two different sized/shaped furries, and like three old human avatars - all different sizes and shapes.

On Sims, they can't allow a height slider for your sims because it would be impossible to properly animate all the heights correctly with each other.

On SL, I can be a 1M fairy with a 8M werewolf bf and we can still hug (albeit awkwardly) because it doesn't matter. It's no ideal, but it works.

The things you mentioned about the skin, makeups, hair, etc, that's not inconvience, that's freedom. I'm glad I don't have to jsut settle for whatever 'head' I feel like that day. Maybe I want my human avi to wear blue lipstick and green eyeshowdow and face paint  - WELL I CAN

Tho a wishlist sounds neat I'll give you that

Well ty for your answer.

IMVU is all about MESH and so will SL be soon. So I don't agree.

At IMVU we ordered a lot from the "developers" and mesh creators to be 100 % unique.

No, I was not in for the Barbie look ;) Not at all. I ordered my own head and own skin. Daily work for 9 months with skin and 5 months for the head. Getting unique so it hurted ;)

Yes I said that heights are a problem, but that point of the compass was too, I didn't know of?

Inconvenience? No I never said that. But to have all things you buy compatible with eachother must be a better way than spending 10 hours with each outfit, before you are in best case happy with it?

Hmmm, You can mix up whatever clown looks you want, both here and at IMVU? And about what head you want to wear this day or the next is all up to you. But agree it must feel a lil better you can set that up in like 10 seconds instead of 3 hours each time? The adds for the head "your unique head" takes maybe some min more to add but after that you are done and ready to go.

Hugs/Sara

All IMVU avatars I have ever seen had the same doll-like shape, huge eyes, tiny nose, weird hair. They looked like they are aimed at girls between the age of 7 and 15. That had nothing about individualism and nothing about realism. Their apperance even let SLs standart avatars look realistic.

But definitly the worst thing are the "furries" I saw from IMVU. Painting your human face and adding a tail to your tiny barbie-butt does not make a proper furry. I prefer to have the furry avatars in SL, which actually manage to look like antros and not like humans who put some effort into a fancy halloween costume.

I'm also pretty sure my human avatar looks more individual than anyone who has to buy premade heads. And after more than 3 years here, I'm damn fast at editing my avatar. I don't any premade sets.

I think you are missing what I am saying about SL

SL is made by the people. The guys who came up with SL make no content for SL. The people who use SL make content for SL.

It's a right miracle people are making appilers for their skins to work with mesh hands and feet.

The body SL started with was (most likely) ripped from a very early version of Poser, and as such, it's woefully inadequate and very early gaming with the blocky features. The mesh hands, feet, legs, and boobs all try to combat this.

People can get custom skins and stuff here so idk what you are saying?

It usually takes me about 3 hours from start to finish to make a new avatar, buy skin, buy hair, buy clothing, etc and get myself set up. Idk who takes 10 hours to make a single outfit and if you're having that much trouble maybe ask for help?

Idk what "head" you are talking about because on SL you have the same head and you can just wear different makeup or hair or whatever to look different. That's like a 2 minute change so?? It's like RL, you just change whats on your head, not your entire head.

SL is getting into mesh as the individual creators are getting into mesh. Some people still make system clothing because that's what they prefer and that's cool. Some people make only mesh because that's what they prefer and that's cool.

What you fail to realize is what's available on SL is driven by the people who are on SL. There are no 'developers' you can ask to make a dress or a skin for you. It's up to whomever feels like making a dress and setting it for sale.

IMVU is more like a computer game where you are limited with what you can do with your avatar. There's only so much. When I look up IMVU on google, it looks like everyone has pretty much the exact same body type with a different skin painted on for different looks. In SL you can get some really different body types. I can be a 12 year old boy one moment then be a very heavyset wide 30 something woman the next.

I can also wear an ALL mesh body and look like, as I said before, a dog. That's a freedom IMVU does not have and also the reason SL has some issues because all the animators cannot account for all the ways people will look.

Customizing in SL takes time but you cannot compare what you can achieve customizing in SL to  what youget customizing in IMVU,

If you like to decorate, you get the full experience in the SL enviroment compare to the Imvu one, and yes prices are higher of course, Mesh is developing very fast, as are appliers, skins, clothes, and I also do not like using 5 tatoos layers and many alphas, but as I said, the final result is a most enjoyable experience, and that takes work

Taking photographs that you can customize and then process is also something that lets you use all the customizing you like to use

Also you would see many of the main creators or designers, are in both platforms, IMVU and Secondlife, adapting their stuff to both, Animations is another main thing in Second life, and it is developing very fast.

I guess both have their pros and cons, according to what we like to do, we choose the comunity we like to be in,

The main thing I would like to have, in SL, is the Imvu inventory access through web, where you can hide what you dont want, and keep the things you want and so on.

StilettoSara wrote:

1. The MESH thing.

2. HEADS

3. At Market Place we should have a little warning, telling us if we already own the item.

4. Wish Lists. 

5. More accurate hugs.

LL completely missed the plot with mesh, for some reason they didn't anticipate that we'd want it for clothing.  We did almost have a mesh clothing deformer that was easy to use (a single check box) during creation and it worked well and would have enabled facial morphs too.  Instead we go the abomination for creators, otherwise known as Fitted Mesh.

As a suggestion for your appliers, what you could do is rather than just wear one pair of feet and keep doing appliers wear a copy of the feet in the outfit.  Or alternatively, for your feet (or other parts), create copies each time for a new thing with an applier and then in the outfit, it will just save a link to the already applied feet.  It will take a bit more initial management but may be more workable than what you're presently experiencing.

Heads... I don't get.  Each to their own but because they're just not customisable, buying a head as a look doesn't appeal to me, lack of facial morphs seems too limiting to me.

Marketplace!  Ah yes, I tend to agree but MP is too disjointed from the rest of SL and there's just no development on it, I think we're now about 2 years beyond the start of the single most important effort on Marketplace which was Direct Delivery.  Nothing else mattered it seemed.  Direct Delivery remains unfinished.  For what it's worth, the vending system that I have for my inworld store does check prior purchases and auto refunds the customer if a duplicate purchase is performed.  Marketplace is not operated in the customer friendly method and since it retains a payment escrow account where there are still failures, i'd be reluctant to offer the same via MP purchases.

Wishlists were a feature that was going to come one day but that got scrapped when Pink Linden departed and all MP development stopped *again*.

Hugs... yeah, the problem that we have there is that at present there's no way to accurately align avatars without using poseballs.  What we need is very accurate avatar position and rotation placement, a lot of us would like this.  RLV does provide a method to rotate the avatar although it's not precise enough for what you're asking unfortunately, that and the fact that not everyone has RLV enabled in their viewer.

As someone else said, we provide the content and it's always useful for creators to hear what people want, how they want to use SL and try to create content that matches.  Unfortunately, LL is less so interested in listening to what we want in order to achieve this.

No hardly I would suggest *Cut dolls* silly.... :)

No only thing I would like,  is that things become not so unnecessarily complex. I suggested a bunch of thing as well at IMVU and each time silly replies like this occurred. Last year I spent there + during first year I was away from IMVU, all those things I suggested became facts. So I guess that someone was listening after all and ideas were not so "stupid" after all.

I love 2nd Life as much as I hate IMVU. But the Barbie doll part I so disagree with. Just because 98 % used that, It doesn’t mean that the rest of us did or liked it.

Another thing that is totally awkward I must say, are our inventories concerning the folders.

1. Make us able to choose from like 50 different colors/tones (or more) we can set on our folders. Not like yellow/yellow/yellow/yellow/yellow/etc, etc, etc. Way more easy and much faster to find your folders you named. As it is now we have to add ! * / & etc to make things come on top/bottom, of other folders to make a clear difference between folders.

2. It had been 100 times more easy if things inside the folders were shown as smaller pictures of what they are.

3. Same thing for saved outfits. Why not a little picture of you and what you are wearing, by holding your mouse over the folders. Not having to name each outfit with descriptions that sooner or later anyway will be way to long to fit inside maximum space for that.

Hugs/Sara

I so agree with sara here on all this because i myself have been on IMVU for 8 yrs and having no where near the stress as SL.

Not so bad now since figuring things out, but still very hard to keep up with what you have when all you have is text to go by and remembering every thing you buy well, who can after a long time here, it would have to be just forgotten things that one day you may come across and be like i remember that.

I can't count the times i have had to go look into the web history to see what i buy because i can't remember the name and then have to go thru 100 pages just looking for buys hidden amoungst all the demos i have tried GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ!!!

I think that if we can see a picture of the product we are buying in the market place then why not have that same image inside the folder so that we can see what it is exactly, i think that would make life so much more painless on SL. My life here keeping up with all the yellow boxes can be more stressfull than RL it shouldn't be that way when this is suppose to be fun not stressfull.

For every base hair tattoo u have one image of a brown cartoon hair piece LOL and for clothing images of a cut out shirt/pants and some gawd awful wife beater underwear LOL and undershirt. How is that saying what i am adding it doesn't. And yes a saved pic of what u are wearing and added to a folder would be so much better. Also even if you do know the name of something you buy why not be able to search it in your order history so u can filter thru instead of page after page so time consuming.

Any way  we have the freedom to make suggestions on how things could be better on SL and this is just what it is and who would not want things to be less complicated only those who have no idea how both worlds are.Also if i could only have back all the Lindens from bad buys  i have purchased well could have been prevented had there demos.

I think there should be demos for every single thing you buy some how LL can make this happen because it is not fair to have to make bad buys and if you do buy things that have no demo then there should be a 24 hr return or something.The creators here make a lot of Lindens on bad buys when if i buy more than 2 things bad from one creator then i skip buying form them again if they don't have demos i don't even give it another try. This is a must fix....

I never made bad buys on imvu because there was a try it button on every thing, and at first they didn't have that then a few years down the road they did and never again i wasted money on things unsure of. 

Totally so true Suz :)

What we mean here is not strange at all. Who don't want to spend less time searching for things, to be able to have FUN all those extra hours instead?

We also know this with inventories comes with the different Viewers and should be asked their creators, but a start at least to even mention it here.

Yes a sort of dressing room had been totally awesome. Try it on....If a no no, go on with next one etc. Who want to buy the pig in a poke 40 % of the times? That is not fair at all.

Hugs Sara

SuzettaLatonya wrote:

And yes a saved pic of what u are wearing and added to a folder would be so much better.

Dress yourself up, snap a pick, save it to your inventory, and move it to the folder.

Also if i could only have back all the Lindens from bad buys  i have purchased well could have been prevented had there demos. I think there should be demos for every single thing you buy some how LL can make this happen because it is not fair to have to make bad buys and if you do buy things that have no demo then there should be a 24 hr return or something.

1. Become a more discriminating shopper.

2. Realize that not everything in SL is "demo-able".

3. Understand how permissions work. If everything was transfer/no mod/no copy, that might be feasible, but that isn't the case, is it?

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

SuzettaLatonya wrote:

And yes a saved pic of what u are wearing and added to a folder would be so much better.

Dress yourself up, snap a pick, save it to your inventory, and move it to the folder.

Also if i could only have back all the Lindens from bad buys  i have purchased well could have been prevented had there demos. I think there should be demos for every single thing you buy some how LL can make this happen because it is not fair to have to make bad buys and if you do buy things that have no demo then there should be a 24 hr return or something.

3. Understand how permissions work. If everything was transfer/no mod/no copy, that might be feasible, but that isn't the case, is it?

You actually read that wall of text? 

You have way more patience than me!

Concerning:

1. What is discriminating with having a fair chance to buy what you really want? I don't even get what you are meaning here?

2. To try out a demo is not same thing as clicking the outfit and see how it looks like in a dressingroom! Without 421 persons around you. Demos are often not containing all they have, as when you buy the sharp version.

A lil tip:

At IMVU we try on things in one dressing room and buy things if we like em. Then we have one own dressingroom and each time we save one outfit from there, a photo is per automaticaly taken.

We place the outfit inside right folder we named as example: SKING/Phat Azz/etc etc

In sceen.....All those folders we have are to our left at bottom. You scroll them and open the one you want to look into, because you know one outfit you like is in that folder. As soon you have opened up that folder, you will see all the outfits as pictures on a long row at bottom of your screen. In the order you saved em. When you save one outfit in your own dressing room it creates a picture of the dress you save. I promise that you save a life time, when searching for the right outfits.

At IMVU I stopped counting em when I passed 6000 outfits. I don't know if you can imagine 6000 folders here with just text and all folders sat in one color?

1. You see the right outfit on a picture and click on it....and bam boom ready to go.

2. You search inside a folder with 400 subfolders all named like SKING/Black Dress/Black Sharon heels/etc etc.

What is the most accurate and easiest way of finding what you are searching for?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why making it the easy way, when you can fuss?

I Know what  you mean there, i had to buy 8 bad buys trying to match the top with the pants because you can't try a complete look to see if all goes good together before purchase it is all guessing.

If you do try on all demos you have to go to each store with demos to see if all goes well,or you can  purchased every color or style demo of what  you are looking and go back to a dressing room and try all on and hope not to have to go back inworld then in a store with 100 more ppl try  to look at more and over and over again.Very time consuming.

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

A lil tip:

SL is not IMVU
, and thank gawds for that.

ETA: Not enough meat puppets here. Bring in some more of your friends.

My highlighting.. *points up to Griffins post.

I think the issue here is that you been to used to IMVU be cause after all you had been there for a lot of years before comming here, and ofcause you would like import the positive parts of what was there, to be here too.. But just as Griffin said, its not IMVU.. 

I come from another 3D chat, a small very cozy one where ppl got very close and got to know each other very fast. The social life there was beyond perfect... We all had our own place where ppl could visit us (IF we had the 'door' open)  It was like living on a street with different countries as neibours..

The I 'moved' here it was like stepping into the big world, gosh it was huge and not so easy to get to know ppl as it was where I came from. There are things from the old chat I would like to see here, but on the other hand, Second Life is unique as it is and there must be a reason as to why I am here and not there, just like why you also are here, and not there.. Its a choice we take....

There are differences between chats and that is why some choose IMVU, some choose my old chat, some use a whole other chat, and we have choosen Second Life...

I cant answer about the bad buys issue, as in my years here since 2008 I think I have made max 10 really bad buys and my inventory counts 84.000 (a lot of the reason for the big inventory is I design myself thou.. so its not shopping only) But only 10 within 6 years is pretty good I think...

If ppl could return within 24 hours then nobody would sell anything. I could imagen e.g. a wedding dress... Try out the demo of the one you want, then on the weddingday you buy it, use it and return it the next day... I am not saying you would do that, I am saying ppl in general would do that..

Griffin's idea with taking pictures works well for me (when I remember to do it)  I take for each set of clothing I save as a outfit... or if it is modify I rename the folder of it to something that makes me remember what it is...

Be glad Second Life is as unique as it is... and IMVU is as unique as it is... Take it with the pluz and minus'es

StilettoSara wrote:

Haha you.

Well, it's not worth the effort, to even try to get you to understand this, that's for sure. No problem!

Hope you get as good advice when you having issues. You're worth it
:)

Maybe you should go back to IMVU, instead wanting SL to become IMVU?

I would leave SL, if would turn into IMVU over night, because there are reasons why I'm here and not there.

SuzettaLatonya wrote:

I so agree with sara here on all this because i myself have been on IMVU for 8 yrs and having no where near the stress as SL not so bad now since figuring things out, but still very hard to keep up with what you have when all you have is text to go by and remembering every thing you buy well, who can after a long time here, it would have to be just forgotten things that one day you may come across and be like i remember that. I can't count the times i have had to go look into the web history to see what i buy because i can't remember the name and then have to go thru 100 pages just looking for buys hidden amoungst all the demos i have tried GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ!!! I think that if we can see a picture of the product we are buying in the market place then why not have that same image inside the folder so that we can see what it is exactly, i think that would make life so much more painless on SL. My life here keeping up with all the yellow boxes can be more stressfull than RL it shouldn't be that way when this is suppose to be fun not stressfull. for every base hair tattoo u have one image of a brown cartoon hair piece LOL and for clothing images of a cut out shirt/pants and some gawd awful wife beater underwear LOL and undershirt. How is that saying what i am adding it doesn't. And yes a saved pic of what u are wearing and added to a folder would be so much better. Also even if you do know the name of something you buy why not be able to search it in your order history so u can filter thru instead of page after page so time consuming.Any way  we have the freedom to make suggestions on how things could be better on SL and this is just what it is and who would not want things to be less complicated only those who have no idea how both worlds are.Also if i could only have back all the Lindens from bad buys  i have purchased well could have been prevented had there demos. I think there should be demos for every single thing you buy some how LL can make this happen because it is not fair to have to make bad buys and if you do buy things that have no demo then there should be a 24 hr return or something.The creators here make a lot of Lindens on bad buys when if i buy more than 2 things bad from one creator then i skip buying form them again if they don't have demos i don't even give it another try. This is a must fix....I never made bad buys on imvu because there was a try it button on every thing, and at first they didn't have that then a few years down the road they did and never again i wasted money on things unsure of. 

Is

your

enter

key

broken

?

cause

its

really

hard

to

read

that

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3676 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.