We've got the Jira Back! Thank you, Ebbe!

Innula Zenovka

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3719 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I fully understand why the jira was closed, but it was, to my mind, the wrong solution.   The problem could far better have been dealt with by closing topics and suspending the editing privileges of people who habitually abused the jira.

For me, it has been a real nusance not to be able to look up problems.    Some time ago, for example, a friend asked me why the llSetRegionPos teleporter he was trying to make wasn't working properly.   I spent a while playing with it (and with variations as suggested by a discussion in this forum) before concluding there must be some sort of a bug, then I spent rather longer, testing it on the various release channels' sandboxes, to see which channels were affected, and then wrote up a repro and bug report for the jira.

The report was promptly closed as a duplicate, with a note that LL was aware of the bug and a fix was incorporated in the next week's release.   If only I'd been able to look that up from the outset, I'd have been able to save myself about three hours' work trying to be helpful.

I disagree .

Firstly , the decision of 28-02-2014 gives back the authorisation in writing ; not only reading.

Secondly , even with only the authorisation in reading ( no-writing) , it won t prevent to get some flames and dramas elsewhere in forums , blogs , or here with big speculations about what s happening and why it s happening

Thirdly , i don t see why you try to test in every channels . There is a field dedicated for the channel ( or the sim ) where the bug is met . The QA team can easily determinate , when the bug is reproducible , which channels are impacted.

Fourthly, it s not your role to avoid duplicates . It s the role of the QA team .  And sometimes duplicates are needed : because the bug has been detected in a particular way for an user . But , nearly always , the bug has other impacts  and can be detected differently by other users .  Several use cases are needed to know in depth  what s happening.

It s in crossing the informations and the different inputs or experiences , we fix better the bugs.

If i fill a JIRA "this feature doesn t work sometimes, for instance this function in LSL doesn work for some specific values of input" , and i give some instances of failures ,  , i won t be exhaustive . And if you read later my JIRA , in thinking "oh .. i won t create a duplicate" , the fix of Linden will be wrong : it will fix maybe the bug for my specific inputs , but maybe not for your inputs

Innula Zenovka wrote:

See 

Thank you, Ebbe Altman.

woot woot!

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Transparency in dealing with the issues we all face can only bring about resolution of those issues. Whether that resolution by LL is appropriate or not is on them, at least we now have a means to track their actions in response to our reports. 

Miranda Umino wrote:

Secondly , even with only the authorisation in reading ( no-writing) , it won t prevent to get some flames and dramas elsewhere in forums , blogs , or here with big speculations about what s happening and why it s happening

And why is this necesarily a bad thing?

LL is not above making dumb decisions and when they do they need it pointed out to them.

Certainly conversations and discussions can become heated.  So what?

When CHUI was in development I checked it out and started a thread in this Forum about it expressing my thoughts on it's short comings.  People read my thread, checked it out and saw the same problems I did.  Some of those people went to the CHUI JIRA to express our dismay.  CHUI almost went live without a Chat Bar as well as with other problems.  We had to make an argument to get one implemented at the 11th hour.  How dumb is that?

CHUI is only one example.  I could point to others.

I'll gladly suffer through the flames in order to make my voice heard, especially when I consider Linden Lab's track record for making dumb decisions.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3719 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.