Which USB Mouse for SL?

Amanda Dench

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3722 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, can anyone recommend a USB Mouse for Second life.  I build a lot and have an Apple Magic Mouse, which I love dearly but is eating batteries for fun.  I did have a Mad Katz R.AT. 5, but it broke after a year.  Any suggestion would be gratefully received.

Amanda :matte-motes-grin:

Amanda Dench wrote:

Hi, can anyone recommend a USB Mouse for Second life.  I build a lot and have an Apple Magic Mouse, which I love dearly but is eating batteries for fun.  I did have a Mad Katz R.AT. 5, but it broke after a year.  Any suggestion would be gratefully received.

I made the small investment a couple of years ago in rechargeable batteries and it has saved me a small fortune now. 

The only time I tried a wireless mouse was when I was still playing EQ regularly.  The batteries decided to die right in the middle of an intense fight and...Nooooooooooo!!! I couldn't do anything, including run.

After that untimely death I vowed to never try wireless again...lol. 

@Perrie - At the risk of sounding really dumb...you are talking about a battery recharger and then purchase the type of batteries that can be recharged?  (I probably answered my own question.)  Of course that wouldn't help if even rechargeable batteries failed during a tricky time, but I haven't played an MMO in awhile so it's likely a moot point. :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

I use an MX518 from Logitech which I probably will keep doing until it breaks. It's no longer for sale, so you might want to look at its successor, the G400. You could also look at the G500, which is slightly more expensive.

If you want a more futuristic one, like the Mad Katz mouse, you could look at the G700s. I don't like the looks, but it's rechargable and you can use it wired.

For certain tasks I use a bamboo pad, but never when I am inworld.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

The only time I tried a wireless mouse was when I was still playing EQ regularly.  The batteries decided to die right in the middle of an intense fight and...Nooooooooooo!!! I couldn't do anything, including run.

After that untimely death I vowed to never try wireless again...lol. 

@Perrie - At the risk of sounding really dumb...you are talking about a battery recharger and then purchase the type of batteries that can be recharged?  (I probably answered my own question.)  Of course that wouldn't help if even rechargeable batteries failed during a tricky time, but I haven't played an MMO in awhile so it's likely a moot point. :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

If someone is worried about batteries going dead in the middle of combat, etc, then USB would be the way to go though my mouse software warns me when my batteries are low.

And yes you have it right what I am referring to.  I was a littlle surprised at the price on Amazon but this is what I started with and bought extra batteries to cover my other devices.  I also have some devices that really chew up batteries like my Camera Flash.  I paid way less on sale at a store when I first started using them about two years ago.

You'd have to judge if you go through enough batteries to justify the cost. 

Perrie Juran wrote:

Amanda Dench wrote:

I made the small investment a couple of years ago in rechargeable batteries and it has saved me a small fortune now. 

This ^.  We are going on 2 years now on the same set of rechargables.  I can't remember what it is like to buy batteries.  

Edited to add:  This is with 2 grandson, an XBox 360, a Wii, and about 5 TV/DVR remotes, etc.  When I bought mine it was around Christmas, and there was a $5 dollar coupon for the charger and 4 AA's, making the batteries basically free.  Get enough so that 1 or 2 sets are always charged, and you have endless batteries.

Kenbro Utu wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Amanda Dench wrote:

This ^.  We are going on 2 years now on the same set of rechargables.  I can't remember what it is like to buy batteries.  

Edited to add:  This is with 2 grandson, an XBox 360, a Wii, and about 5 TV/DVR remotes, etc.  When I bought mine it was around Christmas, and there was a $5 dollar coupon for the charger and 4 AA's, making the batteries basically free.  Get enough so that 1 or 2 sets are always charged, and you have endless batteries.

It's amazing how much battery life can vary sometimes in different devices.

I get longer battery life with my Microsoft mouse which uses only one battery than I did with my Logitech mouse that used two.  Yet I have a Logitech Wireless Keyboard that has been running for over a year on the original OEM supplied batteries.  Go figure!  ;)

On another note, there are two basic kinds of rechargeables, NiMHd and NiCd.  (There are also Lithiums available but I have not used).

I'm not sure all the pros and cons but usually you see NiMHd for sale.  The one down side to NiMHd is they can lose their charge after a while if they just sit unused so you may unexpectedly find you need to recharge. 

On average I need to swap my mouse battery about every three to four weeks.  YMMV.

But like Kenbro, I haven't needed to buy batteries since I made the switch.  The investment has more than paid off.

Thanks for all your replies.  I was using rechargable batteries until about 6 months ago because they just didn't last long (it was an old recharger!), but the main thing is that when the batteries go it is so fiddley to take the back of the Magic Mouse and I am really impatient. It was frustrating especially when in the middle of building something so i think wired is for me.  Your suggestions have been great and I'm now going to get a logitec.

Thanks and take care x

Amanda Dench wrote:

Thanks for all your replies.  I was using rechargable batteries until about 6 months ago because they just didn't last long (it was an old recharger!), but the main thing is that when the batteries go it is so fiddley to take the back of the Magic Mouse and I am really impatient. It was frustrating especially when in the middle of building something so i think wired is for me.  Your suggestions have been great and I'm now going to get a logitec.

Thanks and take care x

Just checked to see what my mouse is and yep...it's a Logitech - a USB Optical Mouse; not sure of the model since I've had it a long time.  Sounds like a good choice.  :matte-motes-wink:

I use a Logitech G700. Works wired or wireless. A full charge easily lasts a couple days. If I want to be wireless and the battery is getting low, it takes 5 seconds to pop open the battery door and replace it with another fully charged one. Uses standard AA batteries so it's not like I didn't already have those and a charger. For SL I don't mind the cord being hooked up so I rarely worry about changing out a battery

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3722 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.