What is it so hard? SL is so arcane.

DarkGuinevere

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I've been in SL over a year and knew nothing about continents until the other day.  Now I am trying to figure out how to drive on the highways.  No one seems to know a place where you can simply rez a car or what have you and drive on the highway.  How come?  Someone gave me a link to a similar question four years back with more links, and I am finding them outdated.  Can SL just simply give us some places to rez a vehicle and drive?

This lack of ease of interface and of finding answers is why Second Life is not growing as it should.  

7 answers to this question

DarkGuinevere wrote:

I've been in SL over a year and knew nothing about continents until the other day.  Now I am trying to figure out how to drive on the highways.  No one seems to know a place where you can simply rez a car or what have you and drive on the highway.  How come?  Someone gave me a link to a similar question four years back with more links, and I am finding them outdated.  Can SL just simply give us some places to rez a vehicle and drive?

This lack of ease of interface and of finding answers is why Second Life is not growing as it should.  

Who are you asking and where are you trying to drive? On most roads on the "continents", there is a rezz area where you can rezz a vehicle where the road crosses from one region to another.

ETA - I see you'd like to drive on Sansara. It's the oldest continent and has fewer road rezz zones, but here are a few:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Noyo/88/179/42

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Maquapit/245/165/55

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Scorze/244/66/107

• Like 1

I agree the UI can be a problem and I believe contributes to people not staying in SL.

All the answers anyone could want are out there. But, it is a pain to find them when you are new. There is a Knowledge Base and a Wiki. Between the two every question you could ask has been answered. Finding that answer is another problem.

See SL Road Network: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Second_Life_Road_Network_Directory

There is 2 year old thread here: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussions/Where-to-drive/td-p/427773

In general the Main Land and Zindra have extensive roads that can be driven on and vehicles rezzed.

If you expect to be given information in SL by the Lindens, you'll probably be disappointed. All I know about SL I have had to dig out. Lindens and other residents have been kind enough to answer many of my questions. Now I tend to answer more than I ask.

At first as I asked questions I was surprised to learn how little Lindens know about SL. They build the infrastructure, servers and viewer code. Few Lindens actually use SL. Support people know what they are taught and I suspect few of them use SL. So, asking other users is usually the best source of information.

The trick with asking users is finding the ones that know what you are asking about. SL is too big and too complicated for anyone person to know it all. I write a blog about SL, how to use it, how it is changing, and what is new. I've done that for 3+ years. I am still finding out things I did not know.

I beleive the absolute best source of information is the user groups in-world. Find a gropup that is focused on your interest and join. Look to see how big it is. Large groups almost always have someone listening 24x7. But the members are users not Lindens, even in Linden owned groups it will likely be other users that answer questions.

Smaller groups may have a regional time bias. Whether the members are mostly American or Japanese make a difference as to when people are around. You may have to ask your questions at different times of day.

Good luck.

• Like 2

SL/LL has just simply given you lots of places to rez a vehicle and drive.  Just land anywhere on one of the mainland highways, walk a wee while until you come across a sign that declares it to be a rezz zone, or wait for the "build" button to become bold on your user interface.

Second Life is what it is, and for sure it is quite difficult in places to understand.  Its easy though to find the answers, if you know the right places to look, and the right people to ask - and I think you've come to the right place.

One of my favourite places to start off from, which has a rezz zone, is Lyonet.  There is a picnic table there where I've been known to meet up with friends and start a journey from. Ranunculus also is a good starting place. Morestello/Peraut on another part of the mainland. 

The more you explore the mainland highways, the more you will see and the more places you'll find your own personal favourite rezz zones.

• Like 1

Well, the first step in finding information is often to ask questions. This is only the second time you have asked anything here in 9 months, and this is probably one of the best places to ask. We're all SL residents like you, and most of us have been around for a surprisingly long time. We also know where to find answers to the most arcane questions you can imagine.

You are right that there's a lot to learn in SL, though, and that it's not all in obvious places.  Sort of like RL, actually.  :smileywink:

First of all, why don't you people use normal language? Rez? What kind of garbage is that? Call up a car dealer and ask for a "rez" and he's going to think you're an idiot. Learning new things should not be complicated by using esoteric language to make things even more complicated.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.