Why do I need to have payment info to open up a store in marketplace?

Antumbra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3722 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I would like to know how come I have to have payment info to open up a store in marketplace? I don't have payment info because I don't trust putting my credit card on sites and them charging me stuff without me knowing. One time someone stole my money from my card. So is there anyway I can put my stuff up for sale without having payment info? If i HAVE to have payment info does it cost anything to open up shop? will they take anymoney if i link my sl to paypal? Thanks!

Presumably you hope to sell things on your Marketplace, so its assumed that you will want to be able to transfer money out into your account. Paypal should be fine - although I do not have a Marketplace store, I have certainly traded inworld and on Marketplace since 2007 using my Paypal account and have encountered no problems whatsoever with any unauthorised payments coming out of my account.

Antumbra wrote:

So it doesn't cost anything at all to open up a store? and upload things to sell it?

No it doesn't cost anything to have a store or list items.

If you haven't read may suggest you look here:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Selling-in-the-Marketplace/ta-p/700193

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/listing_guidelines

Also, there is a Merchant's Sub Forum here.  If you have more questions you would be more likely to get more focused answers and help from other Merchants.

Antumbra wrote:

It keeps telling me that, I read all the terms and agreed and everything. People tell me I don't need payment info but how come it says I do? I'm so confused! I don't wanna have to put my payment info on here....

i wonder what was bleeped!

the payment info requirement was only added a few months ago, so not everybody will be aware of it yet. people who already had marketplace shops up were not forced to add payment info, it's only for new merchants. the amount of fraud on the marketplace was getting to be ridiculous and this is intended to slow it down.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Commerce/New-Merchant-Requirement/ba-p/2321469

The rules recently changed. You can still open a store in world though, rent to another avatar is available if you don't want to put payment info on file and pay LL directly. There may be rentals easy enough to find right here in the forums, but not General Discussion, the other land forums and maybe post in the Wanted forum for specific land offerings if you can't find some that are what you want.

You talk about costs to upload things? Well, yes there are costs to upload things to SL in the first place, but no extra costs to list at the marketplace but you lose commission. But, it said you have to purchase linden dollars to get the account verified, so technically you DO have to buy those L$ and even if you sell them you would lose commission that goes to LL when they exchange money. So, sort of no but then again yes a small cost.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Antumbra wrote:

So it doesn't cost anything at all to open up a store? and upload things to sell it?

No it doesn't cost anything to have a store or list items.

If you haven't read may suggest you look here:

Also, there is a Merchant's Sub Forum here.  If you have more questions you would be more likely to get more focused answers and help from other Merchants.

I encourage you to check out the Merchant's Sub Forum as well; issues specific to merchants can be found there as well as many knowledgeable merchants.  This is the most recent post re: your topic that I can find in the Merchants Forum.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3722 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.