Why are there theft detectors in stores?

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3773 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Bree Giffen wrote:

I've been in a few stores where there are those theft detection screens near the entrance. Why do merchants feel the need to add that 'real life' feature to their stores?

Because they feel like it.

Asking why there's something "unnecessary" on a sim in Second Life will pretty quickly get you to the point of, "Why is there Second Life at all?," because nothing is necessary in SL, including SL itself. It's like stepping through the elevator doors on the 41st floor when the elevator cab itself is down on the 2nd.

Bree Giffen wrote:

I've been in a few stores where there are those theft detection screens near the entrance. Why do merchants feel the need to add that 'real life' feature to their stores?

Have you tried asking them? 

The Merchant's Forum is down the page a little ways.

Janelle Darkstone wrote:

I'll suggest that maybe, possibly, some people think those panels are there solely for advertising purposes?  In this day and age I think it's safe to assume some blissful ignorance on the part of the younger generation.

I think most of that blissful ignorance is in the older generation... :)

Tiffy Vella wrote:

Why do people have toilets in their homes?

..or appliances, indeed even kitchens?.  Why have stairs when a TP or even a hole in the floor to fly up through would work?

Why do shops hang clothes on hangers or have folded clothes on shelves when all they really need is a picture on a wall for a vendor?

If everything were built and designed with only things that SL avatars could actually use or need  SL would look a lot different than it does and far different from RL.

Bree Giffen wrote:

Making a Theft Detection sensor like used in real life is just some form of anachronism that people can't leave behind. Its presence certainly doesn't offer me any incentive to shop at a place with them, nor does it disenfranchise me either.

My favorite anachronism is my beautiful bathroom set complete with a luxurious crows-foot bath & animations. It even has an overhead tank toilet that for some reason my male friends will find and use from time to time. So I included an Easter egg for them to find when they choose to sit there. A sinful picture of Dita von Teese fan dancing on the privacy wall.

:D

sq-dita-von-teese-fans.jpg

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

My favorite anachronism is my beautiful bathroom set complete with a luxurious crows-foot bath & animations. It even has an overhead tank toilet that for some reason my male friends will find and use from time to time. So I included an Easter egg for them to find when they choose to sit there. A sinful picture of Dita von Teese fan dancing on the privacy wall.

:D

sq-dita-von-teese-fans.jpg

That's a rather prude picture of Ms. van Teese :)

Never quite sure what people see in someone that skinny, she looks like she needs some more meat on the bone :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3773 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.