Does this dress make my head look big??

Sephina Frostbite

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3797 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes it doesn't look proportioned quite right. I'd go for a smaller head. You'll likely need to make the facial features(eyes, possibly lips) smaller as well. Otherwise they might look out of sorts too when you're finished making the head smaller.

I've got images turned off at the moment, so I'll look at the pic later. :)

The short guide to head size is 6 to 7 heads stacked up is how tall you should be.

Best way to measure that?

Get on a pose-stand with a T-Pose and rez a prim. Put the prim over your head, about halfway transparent so you can see you head in there. Size it until the top of the prim comes to the top of your bald head (easiest to remove hair when doing this), and the bottom to the bottom of your chin.

Make copies of that prim stacked down until it hits the bottom of your feet, then count them.

(there is an option under creating prims that creates a copy of whatever you have selected, and places it on the side of that something that you click).

If it takes from 6 to 7 of them to hit the soles of your feet - your head is perfect.

(Obviously this only works if your avatar is standing straight up and legs together: which a T-Pose does. I have a free to copy pose stand with such a pose, and many other people have them too.)

A more detailed and illustrated guide is on my blog at "Getting good Body Proportions in SL"

A maybe easier trick would be:

Rez a prim and make it 6 meters tall.

Rez another prim and make it 1 meter tall.

Put the first prim at a 'Z' height that is a whole number. Put the other prim on top - use the numbers to match it perfectly.

Link them. Change the color of the top one to something super obvious. Make it all half transparent.

Wear them on the attachment point called "avatar center" (last one on the list on the official viewer).

Now just use stretch and position until that top prim fits your head.

- This will just "eyeball" how close you are to "7 heads tall". Which is common in art.

(when I took art classes in my 20s, they taught us tricks like this, using our thumbs alongside a pencil while squinting to look with one eye - very few artists break out the rulers and calculators. :) )

This image is distorted.
Your camera used a fairly wide angle for it, so objects look bigger when moved away from the center
The distortion shows clearly on the floor tiles.
The head in the picture is far away from the center, almost at the edge, so it looks bigger.

Choose a smaller camera angle to avoid this type of distortion
Use Ctrl+0 to zoom in (smaller camera angle)
Use Ctrl+9 to reset
Use Ctrl+8 to zoom out (bigger camera angle)

:smileysurprised::):smileyvery-happy:

15 balls with "normal" view angle:

distortion normal.jpg

Same balls zoomed in (Ctrl+0 10 times):

distortion zoom in 10 times.jpg

Same balls zoomed out (Max number of Ctrl+8):

distortion zoom out max.jpg

The balls are the same in all three pictures
In only one picture the balls look undistorted

Dora's right, Sephina. Before grabbing the shape sliders, make sure you are viewing yourself through the equivalent of a telephoto lens. This will minimize perspective distortion, as appears in your photo. Here I am in two photos, the left was taken at full zoom-in (small/narrow camera angle), the right taken at full zoom-out (large/wide camera angle)...

Perspective.jpg

I like to believe that people accuse me of having a big head because of their mal-adjusted cameras.

;-)

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Dora's right, Sephina. Before grabbing the shape sliders, make sure you are viewing yourself through the equivalent of a telephoto lens.

Perspective.jpg

I like to believe that people accuse me of having a big head because of their mal-adjusted cameras.

;-)

Oh very good point.

Try keeping view angle and distance like this:

singleclickonlandandviewangle.jpg

In the current version of the viewer on my Mac I am noticing that these two get changed everytime I adjust how far my camera can see. I don't know if its always done that, or is a recent change, or a bug on my end... so recheck it after a camera distance change and if it moves... then just remember to keep looking at it.

/sigh

I also recommend in the debug settings:

CameraOffsetRearView

X: -2.5

Y: -0.100

Z: -0.300

FocusOffsetRearView

X: 0.4

Y: -0.100

Z: 0.100

http://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/getting-started-in-second-life/#Camera_Setup )

Yeah, some factors working together here for a negative appearance. But apart from a bad camera angle your ams seems to be very short as well. A normal grown up human is able to reach over their head and cover the opposite ear. Like 100 years ago or so this was also the preferred method to find out if a child was old enough to go to school.

PS: very nice party dress that. :heart:

At least you don't suffer from a head far too small, thats why I see all day when I wander around SL. "Women" with heads that could only contain a brain with the size of a dog's brain, while they carry around two watermelons they call their breasts.

But anyway....maybe another hairstyle helps as well to let your head look smaller?

Sephina Frostbite wrote:

lol I see more men like that. Buff with pin heads.. Yeah that wasnt my final hair style for that dress.. I needed to thorow something on for the picture.. dont want to be bald in public.

I notice it every time I'll try out some demo skins or buy mesh clothes. Sometimes both come with "recommended" shapes and out of curiosity I try them. Often my head reduces its size then around 30-40% when I wear them. Which would explain why some of the ladies easily carry breasts around that are the size of their heads :catlol:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3797 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.