questions about secondlife From a newbie

Dnkiwi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3799 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You can -- should, if you want to do Adult stuff on M land -- either set up a group comprising you and at least one other person (SL groups have to have at least two members or they're dissolved after a day or so) and then set your land to Group Access OR simply set your land to Allow Access to Specific Avatars.   See this Knowledge Base article for instructions on how.   That will stop unawnated people from entering your parcel.*

You also need to activate the Hide Avatars option.  That will stop people outside your parcel from seeing (or seeing the chat from) avatars on your parcel and stop people inside the parcel seeing avatars (or hearing chat from) outside the parcel. And since only people you want are allowed to access your parcel, you should be OK.

That's about as close to privacy as you'll get without renting or buying a region, which isn't cheap.

* This will work well for Linden Homes, but if you rent or buy land elsewhere, whether on the mainland or a private estate, check the covenant to see if it says something like "Ban Lines Not Allowed."   If it does, you shouldn't restrict parcel access this way.  Instead, you'll need to buy a security orb of some sort from the marketplace (you can get a very good one for a few hundred L$s) and use that to expel unwanted visitors if they set foot on your property.

You are welcome.

A skybox, if you haven't already found out, is a generic term for a dwelling located up in the sky (at any altitude to 4096 metres).   They have the advantage that they aren't readily visible, and you can't see your ground-level neighbours and their possibly unsightly builds, but they would still need the sort of security measures I outlined to ensure a degree of privacy.

The downside is that, at least in some areas, there are so many skyboxes on adjacent plots of land that it's difficult to find an altitude at which you can't see any of your neighbours and vice versa.

If you search for some in the marketplace you'll find a huge selection, many free or at very reasonable prices.

You can't use a Linden Home plot for a skybox, though.

The hide option only hides the people inside. People inside can still see outside. Its one way not two way.

If you go that way, you want to block sounds and chat also - or you're going to be spamming your business at people.

And it won't hide your toys... if you end up with them...

If you go premium, you want to buy a spot of land, not rent it. Renting is for the people who are NOT premium.

Its really better to just explore SL for a month, make friends, join groups, get involved in activities, and then decide on the whole land thing.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

The hide option only hides the people inside. People inside can still see outside. Its one way not two way.

Are you sure about that, Pussycat?   It's a long time since I tested it, but my recollection is certainly that it's two way, and that's also what the Knowledge Base article seems to suggest:

Second Life provides several features to provide parcel owners:

Ability to hide avatars on a parcel from those outside the parce
l and vice-versa.

This feature enables you to hide avatars and their activities and conversations from those outside a parcel
and vice-versa.

Ability to restrict sounds emitted by avatars on the parcel.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Managing-your-parcel/ta-p/700113#Section_.6.4

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Are you sure about that, Pussycat?   It's a long time since I tested it, but my recollection is certainly that it's two way, and that's also what the Knowledge Base article seems to suggest:

Second Life provides several features to provide parcel owners:

Ability to hide avatars on a parcel from those outside the parce
l and vice-versa.

This feature enables you to hide avatars and their activities and conversations from those outside a parcel
and vice-versa.

Ability to restrict sounds emitted by avatars on the parcel.

I'm not pussycat but the place where I am at, currently, only hides us inside the parcel from people outside. I know there is no way to set it so neither can see, it's just a basic option setting you can turn on or off, not specify. I can still see people outside the parcel. The only time I can't, is if they are also on a parcel with that privacy turned on. Which is extremely likely if you live somewhere that rents out multiple parcels. A lot of rental places seem to automatically turn that option on for all parcels they rent out. The place where I am, is sort of set up like a community, in that there are multiple parcels but there is a road(or space anyway, depending on which sim you rent on) between them, that doesn't have the privacy turned on. I can see anyone in that space from inside my parcel, but can't see over into the next "yard" or "house" as it were, because that's another parcel with the privacy turned on. If that description makes any sense.

I would take anything the KB says with a grain of salt, it's not the clearest explanation of, well, most things. About as clear as mud, in many cases too. That may be how they intended the privacy thing to work, but it's definitely not how it works everywhere(I can't explain why, I'm definitely not that smart, lol). A friend also uses the parcel I rent and she has an issue with a few people determined to generally be a nuisance. They can stand outside our fence, on that "public"(lack of better term) road/sidewalk area and I can see them from the yard or house (she can't, they're muted to her). They just can't get IN the parcel(blocked) and can't see us on the other side of the fence.

I, personally, rent a skydome. They can be rented in different sizes. Mine is a large one. It's extremely private, I have no neighbors, It's much cheaper than renting actual land (it's in the sky). I will send you a link in private message for the agency that I rent from as soon as I can get inworld. You could always try to catch me inworld, and come see mine so you know what I mean.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Yes, the interest list blocks avatars on both sides of the parcel boundary when that flag is enabled. The way I have land set up, I see this in action every day. But there is a bug right now, people inside a parcel with invisibility can see avatars that are two regions away. There is a fix for this currently running on LeTigre and BlueSteel.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3799 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.