Winamp shutdown = Shoutcast problem

Gayngel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/20/after-15-years-of-whipping-the-llamas-ass-winamp-shuts-down/?ncid=f...

Winamp is to shut down on the 20th of December. How is this going to effect Shoutcast Djs in Second Life?

I'm assuming all will need to migrate to Icecast or similar media servers while Shoutcast make plans but the majority of SL vendors sell Shoutcast hosting and media boards. Will SL create its own solution?

Gayngel wrote:

Winamp is to shut down on the 20th of December. How is this going to effect Shoutcast Djs in Second Life?

I'm assuming all will need to migrate to Icecast or similar media servers while Shoutcast make plans but the majority of SL vendors sell Shoutcast hosting and media boards. W
ill SL create its own solution?

Shoutcast and icecast are stream providers.  Winamp is an app that some DJs use to organize playlists and (using shout/icecast) stream into SL.  Many DJs use apps other than winamp.  DJs using winamp can still use it after 20 Dec.  New DJs who have not downloaded it by that time will not be able to use it.

In answer to your last question: 'SL' will not create a solution. 

Um... no.

Shoutcast and Winamp are products of the parent company Nullsoft which is shutting down and discontinuing ALL ITS WEB SERVICES.  SHOUTcast DNAS server and SHOUTcast DSP / Transcoder  which are client-side protocols are used by DJs to broadcast over the internet via web hosting services. Independant web hosts which provide the bandwith can not provide SHOUTcast hosting if the protocols are discontinued. Since AOL has bought Nullsoft and has begun shut down of servers it seems like SHOUTcast is going to be nixed.... This means new and old DJs will not be able to make use of SHOUTcast services as a means to broadcast and the majority of DJs I know in SL use SHOUTcast...

OK - Let's not panic.

Software and agreed upon protocols don't stop working because a contributing or authoring business disappears.

The various ShoutCast DNAS Server installation downloads will be available for downloading from now to the end of the Internet. This goes for Winamp as well - I see many versions of this product available for download from all over the place.

These products are freely available all over the Internet and will continue to be offered even if Nullsoft disappeared from the planet today.

Protocols that were developed and published with NullSoft's help will remain in the public domain forever.

Carry on.....

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

With the number of SHOUTcast users and listeners constantly rising, I do not think they will be closing it anytime soon.

We are talking about AOFail though...

And its not like they're alone. Apple waited until basically the entire internet had Flash browsers, every web developer and every graphic artist on this planet and a few others had taken courses on Flash development, the Flash suite was a fast-running standard part of Photoshop, and Flash was serving up almost every video online... to try and kill Flash.

- And has more or less pulled it off by finally convincing to Adobe to kill it as well.

Some tech companies love to kill things right as they reach saturation. Just to show off their e-peen (or as with Apple, to suddenly announce their own proprietary video format - and nvm all of the other things Flash was good for).

I expect AOFail to come out with its own audio-streaming partnership deal soon, that it can "better monetize" and which somehow requires the use of a large weighty add-filled application. Perhaps even one named iTunes... :)

- It will cover just one use-case that WinAmp had, and ignore all of the others... yet somehow be labeled a replacing upgrade.

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

OK - Let's not panic.

Software and agreed upon protocols don't stop working because a contributing or authoring business disappears.

The various ShoutCast DNAS Server installation downloads will be available for downloading from now to the end of the Internet. This goes for Winamp as well - I see many versions of this product available for download from all over the place.

These products are freely available all over the Internet and will continue to be offered even if Nullsoft disappeared from the planet today.

Protocols that were developed and published with NullSoft's help will remain in the public domain forever.

Carry on.....

Well  It seems I may be mistaken about the WinAmp product....

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/20/winamp_to_disappear/

The DNAS Server software is safe however.

This really only affects those DJ's using WinAmp to stream their shows to the DNAS Relay Servers. They will need to find or purchase more mainstream Broadcast software in the future.

The ShoutCast side of the business is going strong with a whole new host of web-based and app-based media players for the Internet Listener. Winamp is just not a player in the market anymore.

Well the concern for SL residents of Winamp shuttering is they will now have to train new DJs how to use Icecast. Existing downloaded  Winamp and DNAS would eventually become outdated while new downloads are not possible.

But then this appeared:

http://www.slashgear.com/microsoft-tipped-for-winamp-and-shoutcast-acquisitions-from-aol-21306438/

Hold thumbs.

This is the biggest "making a mountain of a molehill" topic I've seen all week.  Do you even know any SL DJs, Gayngel?  I do and I happen to be one myself.  The only reason anyone uses Winamp as a broadcaster is because it has the singular advantage of being free.  Most SL DJs prefer to use SAM or VirtualDJ or literally anything else other than Winamp because they offer more features like crossfading and mic input.

As for the DNAS, do you think we're all running our own servers?  Hardly, most of us rent access to them from server providers inworld.  Will those providers have to switch over to Icecast due to this?  That's highly unlikely but even in the event they they do it makes very little to no difference to the DJs as switching from Shoutcast to Icecast requires, at most, a click of a button inside their broadcaster program.

There will be no further online support for Winamp and SHOUTcast with its 51,350 stations will be shut down. Many of the streaming services associated with SHOUTcast available in Second Life will of course, disappear on the 20th December.

However, a solution is currently being sought.

Microsoft is currently negotiating to buy Winamp and SHOUTcast from AOL.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/11/21/microsoft-in-talks-to-buy-winamp-and-shoutcast-from-aol/

Stay Tuned!!!

Gayngel wrote:

Yeah no development = an obvious sign of a shut down.

@Drake 
 article makes it clear.

Here is a thread on the official forum of specualtions: 

Did you read that article?

"AOL yesterday announced that it was shutting down Winamp"  not SHOUTcast and Winamp, just Winamp.

"But today Techcrunch has learned that AOL is talks with Microsoft to sell Winamp, along with Shoutcast" Just because they want to buy something doesn't mean it's for sale.

"We have also learned that AOL has been planning to announce the closure of Shoutcast next week." But  "AOL has declined to comment for this story" 

Why would they announce one but not the other?

Not to mention that the "news site" you linked has so many grammatical errors it's not even funny.

Well then, Meet IceCast - An open source solution. It's a no-brainer for DJs to point/configure your SAM or Tracktor Radio Station & Streaming DJ software encoders to use its Relay Services. The stream is totally compatible with the FMOD library that is included with the SecondLife Viewers.

http://www.icecast.org/

Plenty of IceCast Stream Merchants in SL too. Problem solved.

P.S. No need to pray that Microsoft buys ShoutCast.

Even if Shoutcast servers will "no longer be listed or made public" that has absolutely nothing to do with our ability to use them to stream in SL.  I assume you are referring to Shoutcast's YP server which acts as a directory of Shoutcast servers which, again, has absolutely nothing to do with DJs streaming in SL because in SL you enter the server's domain name or IP address directly into the venue's parcel media settings so there is literally no danger of anyone in SL losing the ability to listen to a DJ's stream.  You claim you know some SL DJs that are actually concerned about this, to that I'd say they need to learn more about the systems they are using to broadcast before jumping to conclusions and panicking over nothing.

As for that Shoutcast thread you linked in a subsquent post, they are discussing internet radio stations which would obviously be affected by a YP shutdown as they rely on it to gain listeners.  Their concern is legit but it has nothing to do with DJs streaming in SL for the reasons stated above.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.