Winamp shutdown = Shoutcast problem

Gayngel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So...

Basically...

On Dec 20th...

Either the world ends... or it doesn't.

031108132259Falling_Sky.jpg

Either way...

I guess its time to buy an umbrella...

c943837d43090d0bea02ca3a6049fd04.jpg

And a diesal-fueled power generator. Those always come in handy.

But there doesn't seem to be much point in arguing about it. Going to happen one way or the other.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

So...

Basically...

On Dec 20th...

Either the world ends... or it doesn't.

031108132259Falling_Sky.jpg

Either way...

I guess its time to buy an umbrella...

c943837d43090d0bea02ca3a6049fd04.jpg

And a diesal-fueled power generator. Those always come in handy.

But there doesn't seem to be much point in arguing about it. Going to happen one way or the other.

Let me check my calendar....................

mayan.jpg

Meta Starostin wrote:

Learn how to use Google, Luddite!

Techcrunch and many other tech news blogs are owned by AOL

STOP MISLEADING PEOPLE, TROLL!

Wait wait wait.. The link that was posted was from Techcrunch.. AOL declined to comment on a news story from their own new site? Have you even bothered to read the story from techcrunch? It is full of grammar and spelling mistakes. But it's owned by AOL.. One would think their proof reader would be better than a 2nd grader.

BTW a luddite is someone who is afraid of technological change.. I know how to use Google, do you? None of the stories about this say Shoutcast is being shut down by AOL. They are all rumors. 

Talon Brown wrote:

Even if Shoutcast servers will "no longer be listed or made public" that has absolutely nothing to do with our ability to use them to stream in SL.  I assume you are referring to Shoutcast's YP server which acts as a directory of Shoutcast servers which, again, has absolutely nothing to do with DJs streaming in SL because in SL you enter the server's domain name or IP address directly into the venue's parcel media settings so there is literally no danger of anyone in SL losing the ability to listen to a DJ's stream.  You claim you know some SL DJs that are actually concerned about this, to that I'd say they need to learn more about the systems they are using to broadcast before jumping to conclusions and panicking over nothing.

As for that Shoutcast thread you linked in a subsquent post, they are discussing internet radio stations which would obviously be affected by a YP shutdown as they rely on it to gain listeners.  Their concern is legit but it has nothing to do with DJs streaming in SL for the reasons stated above.

Well summarized and stated :D

Gayngel wrote:

Talon yes I know many DJs who are concerned about this because if SHOUTcast shuts down third party severs will not be listed or made public and therefore no one will be able to hear your music!

You'll find that SL DJs are not into listing themselves on Shoutcast anyway. They are all running what the record companies see as pirate radio, and a listing there would turn them into easy targets, while gathering listeners outside SL to eat up their limited broadcast slots.

• 2 weeks later...

AOL quoted Winamp.com and associated web services will no longer be available past December 20, 2013. Additionally, Winamp Media players will no longer be available for download. Please download the latest version before that date

associated web services is stuff from winamp.com - SHOUTcast is separate and you're thinking about things completely wrong as Winamp is just one of the many clients which can play SHOUTcast streams

it just happens to have a view provided in the Winamp client (which can be chosen whether to install or not) and is maintained separately of other online services. it also has no bearing on the ability of Winamp or any other client to play SHOUTcast streams either via the Directory or directly from the DNAS servers. plus if SHOUTcast was being stopped, then wouldn't there have been a message on it's site as well, not just on the Winamp site...? there's a lot of 1+1=3 going on

Even if they did pull down the shoutcast site and yp the main providers like me that run there own dedicated servers would'nt be affected.

• 3 weeks later...

As of Christmas Day the http://www.winamp.com/ website is alive and well.

Please read this article from Time Tech "Winamp May Not Shut Down After All"

Winamp May Not Shut Down After All

AOL is reportedly finalizing talks to sell the legendary MP3 software.

By Jared Newman @OneJaredNewmanDec. 20, 2013

We might have gotten all nostalgic for nothing, as Winamp will reportedly avoid being shut down today.

According to TechCrunch, AOL is “finalizing negotiations” to sell Winamp and the Shoutcast Internet radio service to an unnamed buyer. Both products would live on under the deal, says “a source with knowledge of the discussions.”

While the deal isn’t done yet, it’s apparently close. In the meantime AOL may keep the MP3 software on its servers beyond the announced shutdown date of December 20.

TechCrunch previously reported that Microsoft was interested in buying Winamp. It’s not clear whether that’s still the case.

After taking Winamp for a spin last month, I was pleasantly surprised by how well it performed in its old age. I’d probably start using it more often if my music listening hadn’t shifted entirely to streaming sources such as Rdio, Songza and Pandora.

If Winamp does get a stay of execution, we’ll probably hear more details soon. In the meantime, read this wonderful ode to Winamp by Ryan Sims, who is now the head of design at Rdio.

Update: As Engadget points out, you can also crank up the nostalgia with Spotiamp, a lightweight Spotify player that resembles Winamp in its glory days.

Winamp is sold...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/01/02/aol-has-sold-winamp-to-online-radio-aggregation-service-radiometry/

http://www.inferse.com/11615/winamp-shoutcast-get-life-radionomy-seal-deal-tomorrow/

Winamp and Shoutcast get a life; Radionomy to seal the deal tomorrow

AOL’s Winamp and Shoutcast reportedly have gotten another life as Radionomy interested in the famous media player and the web radio service.

Lynn Schindler | On 02, Jan 2014

Winamp, which was about to shutdown could come back, thanks to the acquisition by an online radio aggregator, Radionomy.

Earlier it was reported that Microsoft was showing some interest in it, but now the news is coming directly from TechCrunch, claiming: AOL could seal the deal with Radionomy this Friday. The acquisition not only involves Winamp, but also Shoutcast, the platform often used to create and distribute web radio stations.

The first signs of this transition were discovered by some users of Winamp Discussion Board who noticed that Winamp’s name servers were transferred to Radionomy, but not Shoutcast.

Afterwards, the well-known tech website TechCrunch “learned from a reliable source that the deal is for both properties and should be finalized by Friday,”

As per WHOIS history, the name servers’ details were updated on December 30, 2013.

Radionomy, based in Brussels, Belgium offers tools to easily create your own radio station. Currently, it has a catalog of about 6000 radio stations, and the addition of more than 50 thousand Shoutcast stations with the ability to create new autonomously without any major technical problems would be a huge benefit to the service.

AOL hasn't commented on the matter yet, but indeed all lovers can breathe a sigh of relief

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So what does this mean to all of us?

Good question. We need to wait and see what Radionomy publishes in regards to it's new acquisitions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.