Spam

Czari Zenovka

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3868 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

spam sushi.jpg

Spam Sushi

Amaze and impress your guests with this gourmet treat that's easy on your budget.  It's the electrical tape that makes it taste extra good. 

1 can of spam

2 cups of 3 day old leftover cooked white rice

Crisco Shortening

1 roll of electrical tape

Remove Spam from can, reserving can.  Slice into 10 slices, discarding end slices.  Saute spam lightly in Crisco.  Drain on paper towel and put in refrigerator for 30 minutes to cool.  In the meantime grease can with Crisco and mash 1/4 cup of rice into bottom of can to mold it into the spam shape.  Turn can over on plate and tap bottom to release rice cake.  Repeat until you have eight cakes.  Remove spam from fridge and top rice cakes with it.  Cut off a strip of electrical tape and wrap it once around the spam topped rice cake making sure the ends meet at the bottom of the cake.  Arrange on plate and serve with soy sauce on the side.  Serves 4

*/wonders if duct tape can be used instead if you are out of electrical tape..\*

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

spam sushi.jpg

Spam Sushi

Amaze and impress your guests with this gourmet treat that's easy on your budget.  It's the electrical tape that makes it taste extra good. 

1 can of spam

2 cups of 3 day old leftover cooked white rice

Crisco Shortening

1 roll of electrical tape

Remove Spam from can, reserving can.  Slice into 10 slices, discarding end slices.  Saute spam lightly in Crisco.  Drain on paper towel and put in refrigerator for 30 minutes to cool.  In the meantime grease can with Crisco and mash 1/4 cup of rice into bottom of can to mold it into the spam shape.  Turn can over on plate and tap bottom to release rice cake.  Repeat until you have eight cakes.  Remove spam from fridge and top rice cakes with it.  Cut off a strip of electrical tape and wrap it once around the spam topped rice cake making sure the ends meet at the bottom of the cake.  Arrange on plate and serve with soy sauce on the side.  Serves 4

*/wonders if duct tape can be used instead if you are out of electrical tape..\*

*Spews water on the monitor*  Priceless!!!!

*I'm pretty sure duct tape can be used.  Here in hurricane land no home is should be without it.*

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Very clever!  Who is that btw?  Love the baritone voice. .

Glad you enjoyed it.   According to the YouTube page where I found it, the credits are:

From "Push Button. Get Bacon." BLB 7/20/2013

Starring: Jeffrey Cloninger (with Jennifer Maren)

Piano: Dennis Curley

Lyrics: Joshua Will

Music: Peter Guertin

Directed by Joshua Will

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

THe really priceless part of that was I got that picture from the 'official' spam website!. 

Ok, that is scary!!!

I am sure you realize the "electrical tape" is actually seaweed.  Spam is consumed extensively in Hawaii, especially in sushi.  I love spam.  The ingredients are chopped pork shoulder meat, with ham meat added, salt, water, modified potato starch as a binder, sugar, and sodium nitrite as a preservative; very pure in ingredients compared to a lot of other prepared meats such as hot dogs, potted meat, etc.  The interesting thing about spam, and what makes it have an incredibly long shelf life without refrigeration is that it is mixed, placed in the can and heat sealed (cooked) under a vacuum.  My favorite is just white bread, Miracle Whip and 2 slices of spam for a midnight snack.  

Kenbro Utu wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

THe really priceless part of that was I got that picture from the 'official' spam website!. 

Ok, that is scary!!!

I am sure you realize the "electrical tape" is actually seaweed.  Spam is consumed extensively in Hawaii, especially in sushi.  I love spam.  The ingredients are chopped pork shoulder meat, with ham meat added, salt, water, modified
potato starch 
as a binder, sugar, and sodium nitrite as a preservative; very pure in ingredients compared to a lot of other prepared meats such as hot dogs, potted meat, etc.  The interesting thing about spam, and what makes it have an incredibly long shelf life without refrigeration is that it is mixed, placed in the can and heat sealed (cooked) under a vacuum.  My favorite is just white bread, Miracle Whip and 2 slices of spam for a midnight snack.  

Thank you for taking the "scary" out of Spam, Kenbro, and I mean that sincerely.  I honestly did enjoy Spam back in the day.  It's honestly something I just haven't thought about except when it is brought up as part of a joke.  Judging by the ingredients you listed, it definitely is more pure than hot dogs for sure. 

Oh, I honestly didn't realize the tape was seaweed.  I used to add "sea vegetables," as my instructor called it in a macrobiotic cooking class I took, to soups and loved them.  I've been hearing a lot lately on some radio shows I listen to how iodine has been largely taken out of the American diet and that it is a much-needed mineral.

*Adds spam to my next grocery shopping trip*

Kenbro's comment reminded me of a song which has almost NOTHING to do with your topic (although it does mention spam: once and once only).  It's by a group called 'Little  Village' and is from their only album. Four really good musicians. Ry Cooder, John Hiatt, Nick Lowe, and Jim Keltner on drums. One of my favorite songs.

I rather like Spam. It was almost a treat when I was a child. My mother did the cooking and while she did NOT like making meals out of things that came in cans, once in a while she'd relax and fix us something that wasn't bought fresh (those of you who think I was really lucky to grow up in a regime like that are absolutely correct). I still buy it now and then.

Not only that, I've been to Austin, Minnesota. I've even danced with a girl who lived there. She might be a one-time Spam Queen. No kidding. They have one or at least they once did: http://kalecollective.wordpress.com/2011/09/07/queen-of-spam/

Oh, the song. I was stalling, hoping that there would be a spammer attack while I was writing so that this might serve the intended purpose, rather than just amusing me. Oh well.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3868 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.