How to Rent Movies in SL

Czari Zenovka

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3375 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've seen media centers in a few homes in SL and, while asking someone about her's, was told that she rented movies to watch in SL.  At the time I didn't think much of it; if I want to watch movies I'll do that via my RL TV.   This came to mind again recently and now I'm curous about it.  How does one rent movies in SL and what type of equipment is needed to view them?  Any specific suggestions on places to rent and where to purchase equipment is appreciated. :)

I've seen media centers in a few homes in SL and, while asking someone about her's, was told that she rented movies to watch in SL.  At the time I didn't think much of it; if I want to watch movies I'll do that via my RL TV.   This came to mind again recently and now I'm curous about it.  How does one rent movies in SL and what type of equipment is needed to view them?  Any specific suggestions on places to rent and where to purchase equipment is appreciated. :)

There used to be movie rental shops where you could rent movies.  To play them you rezzed them in world and they played on a TV.  I haven't seen any shops that do this though for a long time.

We have an Icarus media player now that works like a traditional  media player TV but also connects through a server to a movie rental service.  You can 'buy' or rent movies.  Renting is cheaper, but you only get to watch for a limited time.  Buying is a bit more but you can watch it as many times as you want when ever you want.  You can also watch You Tube and internet and SL TV on it.

I watch movies in RL mostly, but it is nice having the ability to watch them with my partner when we just want to veg on the couch.  It is fun to share them with friends and have a movie party occasionally, particularly with the campy ones that provide fodder for jokes and kidding around.

Thank you, Amethyst...I'll check that out. :)  When I first began SL I saw a Torley vidtut on how to view YouTube videos in SL by making a prim screen then...I forget the rest.  It was fun for my partner and I to watch the same video at the same time instead of just us each going to the site, counting to 3, then pressing the start button...lol.

Sounds like things have advanced a lot since then. ;)

Typically from what I've seen the video rental place will give you a TV and a "cable box" for free. They'll have of course more expensive upgraded models that have like TV channels as well but you only need the basic tv if your just watching the rented movies. It's fairly easy to set up with instructions provided. The thing is you either need to be the land owner or have it deed to the group for it to work. I used Tramp Movie Rentals. They have a decent movie selection and weem to add new ones. The customer service they provide is very good as well. I had an issue setting it up (I didn't deed to group) and sent them a message they responded the very next day attempting to help me. So I do suggest them. Keep in mind since these are streamed through SL depending on various factors most of the time the quality will be less then amazing. Watchable for sure but not HD by a long shot.

Also if your interested in just watching movies in SL with SL friends there are also various movie theaters in SL that play diffrent films including Machina filmed withing SL itself. These are fun to go to as well:)

Thank you for the recommendation and info, Madeline. :)  I'll be checking these suggestions out soon.

I went to several of the in world movie theaters in years past and did enjoy them but they were usually in vintage sims and were playing things like silent movie shorts, etc.  I never watched a full movie.  I did try to do so in a sim a month or so ago, and started a thread about it iirc, but couldn't get the movie to work.  I contacted one of the sim managers and he said he couldn't get it to work either.  :manindifferent:

Think I'll start exploring some theaters as well as checking out the rental option.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

It is fun to share movies with friends and have a movie party occasionally, particularly with the campy ones that provide fodder for jokes and kidding around.

It sure is. During my college years, there was a TV show called "Mad Movies" done by the comedy troupe "L.A. Connection". They recut and redubbed classic movies and they were hilarious. After that, we'd do our own, turning off the sound. My friend's takes on the commercials were often the best.  When out dining with a friend somewhere, I'd make up dialog for couples having conversations in public nearby, but out of earshot. It was great fun to imagine what they were talking about just by watching.

Czari, if you figure out this theater thing, invite us over for a Mad Movie night!

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

It is fun to share movies with friends and have a movie party occasionally, particularly with the campy ones that provide fodder for jokes and kidding around.

Czari, if you figure out this theater thing, invite us over for a Mad Movie night!

Will do - you all bring the popcorn!

Blue Voix wrote:

I use Millions Media, they have fair prices and decent quality for the most part. Used them for years with no issues with the movie content access I have purchased.

Thank you so much. :)  I have a good selection to look at now.  I did an inworld search before posting but I've found that getting responses from pleased customers of a product helps narrow things down, especially with an area with which I'm very unfamiliar.

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3375 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.